Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junoir Member

Mag 256 w1 vs Avov Online 4K...opinions

I have a Avov Online 4K now and wanted to get the Mag 256 W1 which I heard has much better picture quality. My Avov box is giving me a lot of issues. Lots of freezing and it will exit out by itself when watching a show.

Is the Mag 256 W1 better?

Never tested an Avov so can't really say about picture quality, however don't think it changes that a lot between different boxes, may be wrong though!
    The Mag 256 still have his issues and I already had to reboot the box a few times to get the channels working again. The 256 as a new model, is still a big buggy but as some already reported, the latest firmware fixed a lot of bugs and it is miles better than previous. Just have mine for a week and overall I am enjoying the experience despite some "minor" issues!

I would agree with mjvc entirely. I have had a few Avov boxes. The only one I ever enjoyed was the Tvonline4, which you could sideload your own apps. But even it has its issues.

If you want to record in the Stalker portals, or you want a mostly stable experience, get the MAG254 W1 or W2. It has less RAM but you really only need like 128-256mb of RAM for IPTV only use. Also I would recommend NOT using WiFi, as you'll have issues with higher bitrate streams. I have a 100+Mbps connection and get about 55mbps over WiFi (10 feet from the router) and it still has buffering issues. I've redone the network a few times in order to minimize this, but have had very little success.

So if WiFi isn't really important, if you shop around, you can find a 254 for around $90 Canadian. I would go to Infomir website and open their list of "verified resellers" and choose one from there. Fakes DO EXIST. I have no idea how people feel comfortable buying these on eBay...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by veronicas View Post
    Also I would recommend NOT using WiFi, as you'll have issues with higher bitrate streams. I have a 100+Mbps connection and get about 55mbps over WiFi (10 feet from the router) and it still has buffering issues. I've redone the network a few times in order to minimize this, but have had very little success.
    Cheers
    Whilst I agree wired is always better than wifi, personally I don't have any wifi streaming issues at all wrt high def streams on my MAG 256W2.​ If people must go for a MAG with built-in wifi, then buy the W2 version as this is 802.11ac (up to 600mb/s) rather than the W1 version which is only 802.11n (up to 150mb/s).

To the OP, yes get the MAG 256, now that most/all bugs have been fixed. But as I said above, if you plan on getting the wifi version, get the one with 802.11ac wifi built-in. AFAIK Streamstorm is currently the only seller of the 256W2 version and they deliver worldwide. The MAG 254W2 is widely available.

Code:
    http://www.streamstorm.to/produkt/mag256w2/

I'm glad to hear that you're having a good experience on WiFi! The provider in question is using FHD, high bitrate streams which are identical to cable TV. I've tried it in several locations, and none could cut it, not even on an AC network 8 feet away. Latency to ISP is les than 10ms and I roll my own gateway/router on an old PC and can almost max out wireless N throughput.

But keep in mind that we are likely not talking about the same provider. WiFi worked okay for me with more regular IPTV servers. So I do mostly agree with you, because most of all providers will work fine if it's in decent range. If real HD streams become commonplace, a lot of people are gonna have problems using WiFi.

Even if an AC network would solve it, in the event the OP doesn't have an AC router, he would be forced to upgrade to one, which makes it more pricey for a feature that may turn out to be flaky depending on his/her specific setup. WiFi is one of those things that's quite tricky to get "just right" and depending on other factors, could make a good fast connection near impossible.

Tester798, is WiFi an absolute neccesity, or more just for convenience?? Also, do you live in a condo/apartment where there will be lots of WiFi interference? That will greatly affect WiFi the experience. If you don't require the WiFi , you can save yourself a fair chunk of change, and get yourself a few months worth of subs!

Cheers

Junoir Member
    I picked up the Mag 254 w1 and so far its good I am using it on Wifi and have had no issues. I was going to get the Mag 256 w2 but the guy at the store told me its only working on certain servers and he cant guarantee it working on other servers..My server guy told me the same

Is that true?

I think you made a good choice on that. Please edit your post to remove the provider name (we only discuss the servers that are sold/supported here) But no, that's not the only one that works with it. The MAG256 requires the server you subscribed to, to be running Stalker version 5.0 or higher. There are a bunch of providers that haven't upgraded yet, but many have. Some resellers aren't aware that some servers have multiple URL addresses that you can connect to, each with a different version of Stalker. But what the guy told you is partially true. Not all servers will work on the 256. But a large number have updated to 5.0

Cheers

Junoir Member
    i live in a house...Avov worked fine on wifi and the Mag is working pretty solid..I have Rogers Gigabit internet...

Junoir Member
    Swapped my box out with my friend..he picked up a Mag 256w1..I gave him my 254w1...everything is working good...but I am constantly getting black screen...is that normal..I have the 65" Samsung 9000 4K TV...should the auto refresh be off or on?

Quote Originally Posted by tester798 View Post
    Swapped my box out with my friend..he picked up a Mag 256w1..I gave him my 254w1...everything is working good...but I am constantly getting black screen...is that normal..I have the 65" Samsung 9000 4K TV...should the auto refresh be off or on?
    It depends on what firmware is on both nand slices. Update the firmware 2x in a row, then do the reset procedure I've posted in another thread. That should fix any weird symptoms.

Latest firmware works with refresh rate switching. However, only select the rates that are supported by your TV. Usually this will be 24/60. The 50 is most likely not needed unless you live in Europe and your TV doesn't support 60. I believe we had another user whom found that 60 worked better than 50p. The vast majority of streams are broadcast in 60p.

Make sure you set the "graphic resolution" to 720p if you have video issues. You can leave the main resolution one @ 1080p. The graphic resolution is only the EPG, and not the video. I haven't had luck setting both to 1080p on 2x TVs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast