Thread: Epg for VLC ??

Probation

Epg for VLC ??

Is there an EPG that will work w/VLC?

good question i'm also interested

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    there would need to be an option on the VLC Player to add a server URL (the epg URL).
    For instance, the PVR IPTV Simple Client addon, run thru Kodi, they can do that in their configuration menus.
    I do not think the VLC Player is setup that way, I have never really visited all it's functions and options, but looking for how to add an EPG server URL would be first task.
    If that can be done then you would also need to modify the m3u Playlist because some channel names are not the actual short name channel name and they need to be in order for the EPG to recognise the name correctly and grab the data for that channel, and each channel needs to be addressed in this manner.
    Juan_vale has a Sticky thread in the Kodi PVR Simple Client sub-forum explaining most of that.

But first task would be how to add that EPG server URL thru the VLC options and or functions (which I do not think you can thru VLC Player)

My opinion of the VLC Media Player is very high, but as far as a first choose for viewing iptv channels, the VLC Player comes about maybe third in my favorites.
    The VLC Player is great for editing Playlists and editing even while you are watching channels at the same time..... and is number one in that spot as far as Players go... But the Xtream or PVR Client methods are better for actual TV viewing experience (with EPGs if taken correct setup procedures).

Think of the VLC as a great player with editing abilities, but if no editing is needed or wanted then try the Xtreams or the PVR IPTV Simple Client

For the Stalker users, look at Potato TV (with EPG)
    Great new versions are posted here on site, thnx couch potato

But never get rid of this VLC Player or option.
    It is the best going for quick viewing and editing your Playlists
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 03-29-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

TV Addicted
    Only way I can think of.
    Use an external EPG program in Kodi, then use a playercorefactory to detect IPTV Stream and launch VLC.

EPG Program:
    Code:
    http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=282157
    Playercorefactory:
    Code:
    http://kodi.wiki/view/external_players
    add code to detect .ts or mpeg streams:
    <rule filetypes=".ts" player="VLC" />
    <rule filetypes=".mpeg" player="VLC" />

I do this on my Sony Television, not using VLC but the internal DVDPlayer. (I use MXPro or Sony internal for 4K files)

cwh

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    very nice cwh
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

there are many plugin for epg but some work other dont they change so fast so hard to say what works that day