Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar

Manchester by the Sea (2016)

Manchester by the Sea
    (2016) Drama
    Director: Kenneth Lonergan
    Writer: Kenneth Lonergan
    Stars: Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, Kyle Chandler, Ben O'Brien
    -After his older brother dies, Lee must return home to care for his 16 year old nephew.
    He is compelled to deal with a tragic past which originally separated him from his family and the home he loved.

I was reading on this movie long before I saw it. Matt Damon was supposed to play the lead role in this, but due to prior commitments he could not do it and so then Casey Affleck stepped up.
    Damon was shooting The Martian at the same time period.
    After seeing the movie, I am impressed as always with Casey's type of demeanor when he plays a role.
    I do not think Matt could have done a better job.

Casey plays a man that went thru a tragic episode with his family. He then disassociated himself with his family, his friends, his life. He just went into a dead mode in his life.
    Then after many years his older brother had serious health issues,our main character Lee, had to go back home.
    Yes, it is just as it sounds. A movie that will break your heart.
    I wanted to slap Casey's character right upside the head a few times, and tell him to get on with his live and get over it.

His nephew, whom was now under Lees legal care, was a good role and strong character.
    A 16 year old boy that lived life with vigor , for lack of better explanation. A typical young, strong, healthy, athletic guy and life loved him, all except for his dad passing away.

The movie was hard to follow at the start, because the main character kept going back to memories and if you missed any of those frequent scenes it was hard to keep up on what is happening.
    But once you get the feel of the movie then things come together.

Its a heart breaker for sure and you would expect a different ending.
    I was mad as hell at first with the ending, but later saw that it was the only possible outcome, knowing our main character

I hope I did not give away too many spoilers to those who havent seen yet
    I did enjoy this movie quite a lot. But I also enjoy Casey Afflecks acting,and I think it fits well into this movie
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 01-25-2017 at 06:23 AM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Pinball Wizard
    Thanks,will watch this week!!

Last edited by crazed 9.6; 10-09-2021 at 12:40 AM.

Probation
    Holy Fack!! What a sad one

Last edited by crazed 9.6; 10-09-2021 at 12:41 AM.

TV Addicted
    Started to watch it, but somehow couldn't get into it. Maybe I should give it another go

Last edited by crazed 9.6; 10-09-2021 at 12:42 AM.

Fire From Within

Crazed, you hit it on the head, but to be honest, the story didn't affect me that much, maybe because the ending ticked me off... it's so incomplete, and needs followup. I know, real life isn't that way. Affleck was very good, not great, but putting Matt Damon in that role would have been a mistake...it would have been as jarring as the cameo near the end of movie. Overall, it's in my lower half of the Oscar screeners

Last edited by crazed 9.6; 10-09-2021 at 12:49 AM.

Pinball Wizard
    I watched yesterday, I like it. A little long and the ending left you empty thinking i waited almost 2 hours for this. But the story line and also the acting was good. Casey did an excellent job with awkward moments which are a lot.

Last edited by crazed 9.6; 10-09-2021 at 12:49 AM.