Pinball Wizard

Intel’s i7-7700k overclocked to a ridiculous 7GHz

Intel’s much-anticipated high-performance Kaby Lake processors are almost here, which means anyone with a PC built for gaming or other heavy lifting tasks will have to decide whether or not it’s time for an upgrade. The i7-7700k chip, which will likely succeed the 6700k as being the go-to for overclockers and enthusiasts, will definitely be in high demand, but just how much room is there for tweaking? Well, if you happen to have a bit of liquid nitrogen sitting around, the answer is a whole lot.

OCLab reports that noted overclock guru Allen “Splave” Golibersuch managed to snag one of the processors early and took the opportunity to really push the 7700k to its absolute limits. Not satisfied with the chip’s stock clock speed of 4.2GHz, he hooked it up to a cooling system that any PC builder would envy: liquid nitrogen.

With the super-cooled setup working to suck as much heat from the chip as possible, Splave managed to overclock the 7700k to a stable 7GHz. However, that impressive feat does come with a pretty significant drawback; overclocking to such an insane degree requires that all but two of the cores of the chip be shut down. Still, that’s a mighty fast processor.

Now, unless you’re planning on buy stock in a liquid nitrogen corporation, there’s a good chance you won’t get anywhere close to a 7GHz overclock out of the 7700k, but with that much headroom it’s likely possible to push most chips past 5.5GHz with some decent water cooling.

As with all overclocks, each chip will behave differently and even if you buy two 7700ks on the same day in the same store, they’ll each likely perform slightly differently when overclocking. Still, a 7GHz overclock is a great sign, so prepare your wallet for when the chip lands at your local PC shop in the coming weeks.

Check article -
    Code:
    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/intel-i7-7700k-overclocked-ridiculous-7ghz-thanks-liquid-175408534.html

Probation
    But that isn't quite impressive, as they had to disable cores for this and in the end it had only 2 cores enabled.

While processor from AMD which isn't so good at performance as Intel, could be overclocked to 8.7GHz.
    The world record is on AMD FX-8350 @ 8794.33 MHz and it isn't even close to it and there too 2 cores were only enable to achieve such
    overclocking performance.

So it means that AMD processor can achieve higher Ghz rate and beat in GHz and also core amounts/price - We know that intel
    have 10 core processor while AMD just 8 core consumer ones! - We will see change in the market when they release the new AMD
    series processors which will have more performance per core!

Edit: I forgot to mention, if you would want to have stable 5.5 GHz with water cooling, you might need to disable cores to achieve higher performance per core, but my knowledge isn't enough and we will see further how it goes for people.

Also I was finding more info regarding this stuff, to add extra and AMD FX-8370 @ 8496.66 MHz (8 core) for some people 8.49 GHz is running at such speed without locked processor cores.
    So it shows that Intel processors aren't so good for overclocking, except Intel Celeron series.

Ps. I was big overclocking fan and I really didn't follow so much lately, so I overlooked and found all this info and I just want to share knowledge!

I overclock my amd but it gets very hot