UFC featherweight contender Conor McGregor seems a bit torn over the promotion's decision to allow a retired professional wrestler with no competitive experience whatsoever to compete alongside him in the sport's premier organization.

McGregor understands the appeal of wrangling the elusive and dreaded 'casual fan,' but would have preferred for 36-year-old CM Punk to first prove himself elsewhere.

"I don't have no problem with it," McGregor told Severe MMA. "If you bring something with you to the table, you get a seat. I feel a lot of fighters feel they get in and get signed by three letters: U-F-C. And that gives them a certain right, but you must bring something to the table.

"As far as the CM Punk thing, he has a different fanbase, the WWE fans. To be honest, it's weird to me to let an amateur come in and do it in the pro game. I mean, who knows what his skill level is like? I would like to see it the way they done it with [former UFC heavyweight champion] Brock [Lesnar]. Brock had one or two fights in the smaller league. Brock was a different animal all together. He had Division 1 All-American wrestling status. He was a freestyle wrestling champion. Plus he was a f***ing monster of a man.

" Stating mostly concern, McGregor sounds more worried for the man's health than anything else."CM Punk? I don't know," said McGregor. "Listening to him speak, when I heard the broadcast announcement I saw a man afraid. Like he signed up for something he didn't want to be. When the shin bone cracks the body or the elbow cracks or the heel cracks... It doesn't get much more real than that. Personally, I don't think he should be in this league just yet, but again, you bring asses to the seats, you bring eyeballs to the screen and we will give you a shot."