Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Arrival

Pinball Wizard
    The book was better, this is more of a love story than a scifi, But I'm with you Captain if it is about space I will watch it, hell I'm still (re)watching "the Martian"..LOL

look i still watch planet 9 but maybe it was me thinking this was going to be a good movie boy was i wrong preview got to me never again

Junoir Member
    A smart, beautiful looking film with a praiseworthy change of message from the usual science fiction films.

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    Had to watch this again, since a quality version surfaced awhile ago.

It still did not bring the anticipated excitement, but it was not too bad.
    I like the different angle they had with the aliens and their agenda.
    They had alot hanging on the balance, if them language techs did not get this figured out, then humanity would have been doomed.
    We did not know it, but Amy Adams character had the answers years ago, or visions years ago... and did not even know .... That was a kind of confusing as it went, but was a major part of the story, as we found out.

Not my favourite aliens flic, but was much better in this quality version.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Fire From Within

It was ok, but Close Encounters... and Contact did the story better. I think the xenophobia was overblown, how long does it take to figure out there was nothing going to happen if the visitors were doing anything. Realistically, would the USA just send a mere colonel to command the site, while the Chinese send their top general to theirs?

SPOILERS.....SPOILERS...SPOILERS

I liked this a bit better than most folks here. The movie was pretty complex. It took time and reflection on my part to realize the flashbacks weren't flashbacks but were Louise's "contemporary" experiences, since the aliens had given her the power/ability to immerse herself simultaneously in the past, present and future. (To the aliens, time is asynchronous.) This, of course, is how Louise got the information from the Chinese general that ultimately saved the day. She stepped into the "future" to get information to use in the "present."

It was pretty profound when she asked Ian if he'd choose to live a life if he already knew every twist and turn it would take. She, in fact, was doing just that: She knew they would break up. She knew their daughter would die. She knew when she told Ian of her acquired ability, it would end their relationship. All in all...pretty cool...

I liked the visual depiction of the aliens, too: Just enough to make them salient but not a CGI tour de force, as is usually the case.
    Last edited by ilan; 02-04-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    Beginner's Guide for Rocket, NFPS and IKS66...
    http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?2...-you-should-do

Kodi Options for Rocket, NFPS and IKS66...
    http://iptvtalk.net/forumdisplay.php?71-Kodi

Check the Announcement Section...
    http://iptvtalk.net/forumdisplay.php...-Announcements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ilan View Post
    SPOILERS.....SPOILERS...SPOILERS

I liked this a bit better than most folks here. The movie was pretty complex. It took time and reflection on my part to realize the flashbacks weren't flashbacks but were Louise's "contemporary" experiences, since the aliens had given her the power/ability to immerse herself simultaneously in the past, present and future. (To the aliens, time is asynchronous.) This, of course, is how Louise got the information from the Chinese general that ultimately saved the day. She stepped into the "future" to get information to use in the "present."

It was pretty profound when she asked Ian if he'd choose to live a life if he already knew every twist and turn it would take. She, in fact, was doing just that: She knew they would break up. She knew their daughter would die. She knew when she told Ian of her acquired ability, it would end their relationship. All in all...pretty cool...

I liked the visual depiction of the aliens, too: Just enough to make them salient but not a CGI tour de force, as is usually the case.
    I Must Say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i watched stoned at first, didn't get it, watched with a cup of coffee and didn't get it,,,,,,,, just watch again after reading your post...........BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the enlightenment lol lol.............. Great movie lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12