Breaking News WWE Announces AJ Lee Has Retired

wrestlescoop

AJ Lee (April Mendez)
    has decided to retire from in-ring competition with WWE. We wish AJ the very best.

wwe_divas_championship__aj_lee_2014_render_by_dinesh_musiclover-d80fwmt.jpg

After nearly four years on WWE's main roster.
    The 28-year-old Union City, New Jersey, native leaves the company as a three-time Divas champion and one of WWE's most successful female wrestlers in recent memory.

AJ teamed with Paige to defeat Nikki and Brie Bella on Sunday at WrestleMania 31, and it turns out that it will stand as the final big match of her WWE career

update:

Mendez Retires But Is UFC In Her Future?
    AJLeePaigeWWE-665x385.jpg
    The WWE has suddenly announced AJ Lee’s leaving the company behind just like her husband CM Punk, and apparently, it’s not a late April Fools’ joke. Why is AJ Lee retiring? No one knows for certain, but there have been plenty of hints along the way, and it’s possible AJ Lee’s UFC career may be in the future.
    This idea has long been speculated upon, and when CM Punk’s UFC career took off, it seemed like the writing was on the wall. During a WWE Divas match in December, AJ Lee’s retirement was hinted at early on. She joined the announce team booth only to make an interesting comment that foretold today’s announcement.

“I feel like you guys aren’t asking me enough questions while I’m out here,” she said. “You’re going to miss me when I’m gone.”

During Monday Night RAW’s Slammy Awards, she spoke about winning the WWE Diva Of The Year award and at the time, she seemed to indicate she would not be with the WWE longer than a year.

“Three years ago I promised all of you I would redefine the term diva, and I am very proud to say I sure have done that. So I hope that means that next year this award is won by Bailey or Sasha, or Charlotte or Emma, or Paige. Any of those girls can be next in line for the throne, but I’m not done being queen.”

The writers of Wrestling Inc. also seemed to think AJ Lee knew she would be retiring shortly after WrestleMania 31.

“Regarding AJ Lee retiring from WWE, there’s already some speculation that she knew she was leaving this week before WrestleMania 31. A colleague who watched WrestleMania 31 with me thought that AJ’s post-match celebration with Paige ‘seemed weird’ as if AJ knew this was her last big match. The two hugged for a while and AJ told Paige she loves her, which to most people didn’t seem out of the way at the time but is interesting now.”

Still, it’s very early for any WWE Diva to retire since she is only 28-years-old. With AJ Lee leaving abruptly like CM Punk, it’s possible she may give up fighting entirely or perhaps UFC is right around the corner. After all, CM Punk did make a comment to that effect once.

During UFC 182, CM Punk spent almost an hour talking during a Q & A session. At one point, he was asked about who he thought could also end up in the UFC over time. Perhaps giving us a hint of things to come, CM Punk said he couldn’t count out AJ Lee as a possibility. With AJ Lee leaving the WWE, the possibility seems more than just an off-the-cuff remark.

Ronda Rousey just so happens to be a big fan of CM Punk. In fact, the first time they met in person Rousey actually fangasmed all over Punk. While it’s questionable whether AJ Lee Vs. Ronda Rousey would be a good idea based upon MMA skill (or lack thereof), you have to believe that Dana White is seeing potential dollar signs floating in the air.

It’s also possible that AJ Lee and CM Punk simply want to focus on their marriage as April Jeanette Mendez and Phil Brooks. Rumors suggested the married couple may be having problems since both CM Punk and AJ Lee unfollowed each other on Twitter for a while, and Punk left several cryptic tweets about “wasted hours” and being miserable. The constant traveling required of WWE wrestlers has to put stress on any relationship, so perhaps they decided it was best to say goodbye.

No one knows for sure what CM Punk and AJ Lee have planned for the future, but I’m sure the WWE Universe will wish them well. What do you think of AJ Lee leaving the WWE so suddenly?

update:

Stephanie Mcmahon twitter account has requests for AJ Lee to say goodbye on this coming Monday Nite Raw.