Pinball Wizard

How to find out if someone is using My Wireless Network

I think my neighbors might be using my Wi-Fi. How can I tell?

The easiest way to tell if someone is using your Wi-Fi network is to use a free program like Wireless Network Watcher. This program lists gadgets currently connected to your network, so you can spot anything that looks out of the ordinary. If your suspicions were created because you’ve noticed your network slowing, there may be other things causing it. This could be your router or typical slowing caused by high traffic peak times. Before blaming your neighbor, try these tips for testing your Wi-Fi network.

Here is the free software I use, it's free and so far I had no issues with it!!!
    Code:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html
    Last edited by Kimbo; 05-21-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks Laser. It always best to check things out before you go pointing a finger
    Two of the greatest qualities
    to have in live are:

PATIENCE
    and
    WISDOM

they couldn't be using it if you have it password protected.

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    they couldn't be using it if you have it password protected.
    yes of course ,no one has ever hacked a router...lol

get active
    Whenever I want to know who or what is connecting to my wifi network, I just log on to my router, go to the wireless area and look to see which IP addresses have been assigned to which Mac addresses. It shows a list of devices connected and if I go to look at the logs, it will show what devices connected to what, where and when. I would or could go into details but it really comes down to which router you have and which software its loaded up with but most will provide you with this information although some will require you to go to the administration area to see more details but the logs usually cover all the details.

Most routers are either password or pin protected although you can use Mac addresses to restrict connections to only those devices with specific mac addresses.

Pinball Wizard
    Thank you for all the input, I believe that is important to stay protected, routers with passwords can be hacked and like all passwords it is always wise to change them periodically!!

get active
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser View Post
    Thank you for all the input, I believe that is important to stay protected, routers with passwords can be hacked and like all passwords it is always wise to change them periodically!!
    If you use mac addresses to strictly control who and what connects to your network, it won't matter if its wide open, hacked, pinned or has passwords as only the exact mac addresses entered in can connect, all others would be rejected.

bry bryb
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwood View Post
    If you use mac addresses to strictly control who and what connects to your network, it won't matter if its wide open, hacked, pinned or has passwords as only the exact mac addresses entered in can connect, all others would be rejected.
    Yep, I have my modem/router set up to only allow mac addresses that I enter to connect to my network.

tux tux tux
    its the most secure way yep.
    “there is nothing wrong with being insane, as long as you know it yourself.”

Thanks, friend to let me know about how can I watch who's using my wireless network. It is the really great discussion.