Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TV Addicted

internet speed for iptv on mag254

what is the lowest speed possible to use get better results on hd type channels? i currently have 3mbps and that doesn't seem to be enough at times. at other times it plays just fine. nirmal channels appear to work ok,but,most of the sports and some of the adult channels do not function very well at this speed.

I would say not less then 10mbps

speed and bandwidth both addressed here:

http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?44-Upcoming-IPTV-FAQ
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for shooting the other for fun"...Army marching cadence

good thing we don't have dialup anymore that would have been very frustrating .

Junoir Member
    I've tried it on 6mb/s and it works pretty good, assuming no other devices are streaming on the same network

TV Addicted
    It depends on how good your internet is. I had 3 mbps and I was doing fine watching tv and roaming the internet. Even downloading. That said, at times my Magicjack would be cutting out. I doubled to 6 mbps and so far am doing fine, but I do know of other people with faster service than I and they have problems. So in my humble opinion, the quality of the service outweighs the actual speed. That in mind if I remember correctly, only a couple mbps is actually needed for the service. Kinda compares to Netflix on requirements. Hope this helps. Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    what is the lowest speed possible to use get better results on hd type channels? i currently have 3mbps and that doesn't seem to be enough at times. at other times it plays just fine. nirmal channels appear to work ok,but,most of the sports and some of the adult channels do not function very well at this speed.
    Don't automatically assume the problem is on your end, or speed. I speedtest with the Mag254 utility at 35 mb/s and also have freezing and such with some channels, other channels work fine. As more channels are added and more users begin using the service, the muscle requirement on the server end increases considerably. The service is new, lately it seems the server end is straining at times. Hopefully, that will be addressed as the user load icreases otherwise poor quality will be the norm.

TV Addicted
    i took the following steps and so far mag254 is working much better.
    i installed dd-wrt firmware on my router and set it to google's dns address did the same with the mag and as i stated so far there's no freezing on the tsn networks and i have had the box on since about 7pm tonight. before doing these changes,these channels would freeze and sometimes lockup the mag254.

we have a service offering channels that works on 0.7mb ..(LD tv) the quality is not good but for watching soaps etc it is ok . no good at all for sport

Quote Originally Posted by Digitaldan View Post
    It depends on how good your internet is. I had 3 mbps and I was doing fine watching tv and roaming the internet. Even downloading. That said, at times my Magicjack would be cutting out. I doubled to 6 mbps and so far am doing fine, but I do know of other people with faster service than I and they have problems. So in my humble opinion, the quality of the service outweighs the actual speed. That in mind if I remember correctly, only a couple mbps is actually needed for the service. Kinda compares to Netflix on requirements. Hope this helps. Have a great day!
    yes blame the driver not the car - most problems are down to the provider (some are internet but not many)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast