Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pinball Wizard

Legendary Artist Prince Found Dead at 57

uthorities are on the scene of the artist's Paisley Park studio.

Legendary artist Prince was found dead at his recording studio in Minnesota early on Thursday, according to a TMZ report. He was 57.

Deputies are on scene at Paisley Park in Chanhassen, authorities told The Hollywood Reporter. The sheriff's office says they are conducting a death investigation currently and are notifying next of kin before releasing the name of the individual who died.

The artist's rep has not yet responded to a request for comment. No further information was immediately available.

The dizzylingly prolific multi-instrumentalist and virtuosic performer was born Prince Rogers Nelson June 7, 1958, in Minneapolis, Minn.

He released his debut album, For You, in 1978, followed by Prince (1979), Dirty Mind (1980) and Controversy (1981). All of them traded in his trademark sound — deep synth funk grooves with provocatively sexual lyrics and heart-piercing ballads sung in pure falsetto.

His mainstream breakthrough came with back-to-back albums with his backing band the Recultion: In 1982, 1999 launched several pop and dance floor hits onto the charts, including Little Red Corvette and the title song, a post-apocalyptic party anthem.

Two years later he released the album — a soundtrack, actually, to his movie-starring debut — that would launch him into the same superstar stratosphere of other ‘80s pop titans like Michael Jackson and Madonna.

The soundtrack was 1984’s Purple Rain, a searing musical backdrop to a semi-autobiographical tale of “The Kid,” a Minneapolis rocker from an abusive family. The album launched five singles, two of which — “When Doves Cry” and Let’s Go Crazy” — went to Number 1 on the Billboard chart. The title ballad reached No. 2 and has gone on to become one of the most recognizable rock anthems in history. The soundtrack itself is frequently cited on music critics’ polls as being one of the best of all time.

Subsequent releases grew more experimental in nature, including the pyschedelic Around the World in a Day (1985) and Sign “O” the Times (1987), a double album recorded partly before a live audience in Paris that dispensed with the Revolution and which is widely to considered to have been produced at Prince’s creative peak. (Among the compositions on it are “The Ballad of Dorothy Parker,” “If I was Your Girlfriend,” and “I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man.”

In between he starred in one more film, 1986’s Under the Cherry Moon, in which he stars as a gigolo wooing Kristin Scott Thomas in the south of France. The movie bombed, but produced a successful soundtrack album: Parade, which featured the hits “Kiss” and “Mountains.”

Fire From Within

RIP Prince

My favorite performer and musician. This one hurts.

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys

Just watching CNN news and they still haven't reported who has died but others are saying it is Prince. He was feeling ill after one of his concerts and the plane had to make an emergency landing.

Pinball Wizard
    My first date in high school was going to the movie "Purple Rain", to this day I'm a big fan!!

Pinball Wizard
    they just confirmed it on CNN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laser View Post
    they just confirmed it on CNN!!!
    Yup just saw it.

me too wow

Fire From Within

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y
    Easily one of the best guitarist ever.

Quote Originally Posted by dara View Post
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y
    Easily one of the best guitarist ever.
    I would dispute that since Jimi Hendrix was THE best lol.

Pinball Wizard
    I remember the Super Bowl halftime show he did, One of the best ever!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast