Thread: Jar Face (2013)

Jar Face (2013)

Watched it last night. I'd call it decent. The atmosphere was the best part of it. It was a bit dark and a bit forboding. However, it never rose to creepy or scarey. That's ok, though. It had the same feel as the opening half of Pumpkinhead, which I liked.

Backwoods inbreds/aberrant religious zealots always provide a good starting point. The acting was proficient. The movie could have been a whole lot better if "The Pit" storyline was fleshed out. Had The Pit been given some historical context and the potter's role amplified and explained a bit more it would have made for a better, more cohesive movie. However, it was a step up from much of the bigger budgeted horror cr*p I've sat through lately.

Code:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2620736/
    I am in agreement with the first user review by Corpus_Vile, which I'll repeat here...

"Ada is a young girl who lives with her backwoods hillbilly moonshinin' clan. A close knit community, they all share a rather arcane religion. Every so often, The Potter makes a ceramic jug adorned by a face. Every face that appears on the jug is a member of the clan and any face that appears must be sacrificed for the good of the community. Sacrificed to The Pit, which lies in the woods. Because The Pit wants what it wants and The Pit must be sated as this is how it's always been. If The Pit doesn't get what it wants then whatever dwells within it gets angry. And when The Pit gets angry, the community will be punished.

One day, while exploring The Potter's shed, Ada finds the latest jug face. It's her own...

Will she allow herself to be sacrificed, for the good of the clan? or will she set in motion a plan to spare her own life?

Jug Face is a straightforward but pleasantly offbeat horror that puts an interesting and unusual spin on the hillbilly horror/hicksploitation sub genre, with a nice turn by Larry Fessenden as the clan leader and a surprisingly great turn from Sean Young as the overbearing matriarch.

Executively produced by Lucky Mckee and with FX by Robert Kurtzman, it's a satisfying and solid horror that's well worth checking out overall, for fans looking for something just a little bit different."

7/10, decent little film and recommended.
    Last edited by ilan; 04-13-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Jug Face is a straightforward but pleasantly offbeat horror that puts an interesting and unusual spin on the hillbilly horror/hicksploitation sub genre, with a nice turn by Larry Fessenden as the clan leader and a surprisingly great turn from Sean Young as the overbearing matriarch.