Junoir Member

Did I get the wrong box?

Hello
    I'm a total newbie to this hobby, was tired of getting screwed by cable so I thought I would look at other alternatives. A week ago while at lunch with a coworker I mentioned I wanted to learn about kodi boxes. Well as luck would have it he had a jailbroken apple TV. He told me of its wonders and simplicity. The simplicity part really hooked my because I am kind of technically challenged LOL. At his suggestion I whipped out my smartphone and looked at what eBay had listed. I saw a gen 4 apple TV that said new, jailbreak complete. It was pricey but I figured it was the latest generation so that's got to be good right? I hit the buy it now, and it's on its way to me.
    Well, I guess I should have researched because I'm reading gen 4 can't be jailbroken and I guess my new box was sideloaded. Also am worried that the apps loaded will not auto update, which I know is critical for continued performance. And if I do need to add on new apps (Genesis is dead?? I have to add a replacement?!) it will be very complicated for me. So my question is...
    Did I buy a box that is hard to use,and update? Should I have bought a much cheaper android box? Are androids or apple boxes easier to use?

Thanks for reading this long post and appreciate any input..

I have no experience with apple tv, but in my opinion if you are running kodi, it doesn't matter really what platform its on. kodi is kodi.

if you want your interface to be apple, get apple. if you like android, get and android. I guess.

Junoir Member
    I'm actually an android guy, but I do have an iPad. My concern is that the apple-tv gen 4 is not the optimal box for me regarding the ease of use, capabilities of auto updating what apps are installed already plus installing new ones, etc.

Junoir Member
    you should have got an android box the apple-tv 4 is useless for kodi

well that tells it all

Junoir Member
    Really? Then why are there gen 4's advertised as having kodi sideloaded? I would hot link the eBay post but don't know if it's against forum rules. Maybe I'm not getting the terminology right but it states "movies, TV, sports, etc, fully loaded".
    I'm officially confused!

If I were u I'd try a firestick or mxq box first. Little investment and you won't shoot yourself if it isn't for you.
    The World Revolves Around Me!!

As far as i know u need xcode program from apple to side load kodi. Depends on tvos version of the apple tv. Or better yet Google how to install kodi on apple tv 4.
    If i were you, better buy an android tv. Its Cheaper
    Last edited by Sleekyboy24; 03-23-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Junoir Member
    from personal experience running both, I would return the Apple TV and do a chargeback FIRST. That tv is not jailbroken. Use that money to buy a better quality tv and an android device. not to seem like a shill because I posted it in another thread today, but if you dont want to go pc and just want a box like my dad did, the Matricom Q 2 was a breeze to program and plays 1080p like a champ and iptv that rivals the speed and functionality of my htpc with 16gb ram and a 970 in it. (obviously iptv uses a fraction of that). After trying to program him a firestick this weekend and seeing how pathetic and slow that stuff is, I'd never recommend it to anyone. The Apple TV, although the sideload is cool and helpful, you are really painting yurself into a corner with it nd should consider just getting a dedicated box and better tv for less money.

Junoir Member
    Alex u may have wasted your money. I'm running both the fire tv stick & the 2nd gen box. Both work perfectly with Kodi sideloaded. The box is better for higher quality video with no buffering. There are several ways to sideload apk files to them. Do a search on youtube. These are easy to use.
    Last edited by thenwhat?; 03-26-2016 at 07:04 PM.