TV Addicted

how to unlock resolution on Kodi

I am using a firetv box with kodi ( latest release ) is there anyway to unlock the video resolution in Kodi i.e. 1080p,720p etc. i have googled ,but,can't find any info.
    Last edited by gregm; 03-15-2016 at 02:45 AM.

get active
    I never had to unlock it, I loaded Kodi 16 rc3 on my Windows 10 PC, installed loader and nfusion loader, installed Exodus and a few other Apps and Kodi automatically went to my tv settings and took 1080 HD setting it was set at. I believe it does this in order to conform and play at a compatible resolution of the monitor or tv that its going to be used with. If you go to "Settings" in Kodi and check your system settings, it should provide some video, audio settings that you can use advanced settings to configure but I just can't recall all the settings there. I know when I had a monitor connected, Kodi showed 720P which is why I "think" Kodi automatically adapts its settings to whatever its connected to ?

not a member
    The Fire TV sets the resolution based on what your TV is. You may have a bad or incompatible HDMI cable so it is not detecting the the correct resolution. I had an issue with one of my TVs and it was the HDMI cable.

TV Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    The Fire TV sets the resolution based on what your TV is. You may have a bad or incompatible HDMI cable so it is not detecting the the correct resolution. I had an issue with one of my TVs and it was the HDMI cable.
    i have tried 4 different hdmi cables with same results. the video settings cannot be changed in kodi on my firetv box. the audio can be,but,not the video. the tv is a seiki se42ugt ultra 4k. i tested one of the original qbox units and it allows you to change the resolution. the firetv box in auto mode says video up to 4k resolution. my tv upconverts 1080p to 4k resolution 720 to 1080 and 480 to 720. in-order for this to work with my firetv box,i have to be able to set the resolution in kodi to 1080p which i cannot do

not a member
    Do you have a Fire TV 1 or 2? The Fire TV 2 supports 4k. Also you would not be changing the resolution in Kodi, you would have to change it in the Fire TV Display Settings.

TV Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    Do you have a Fire TV 1 or 2? The Fire TV 2 supports 4k. Also you would not be changing the resolution in Kodi, you would have to change it in the Fire TV Display Settings.
    Fire TV 2 the resolution goes from 720p,1080p and auto resolution up to 4K. i have found the hidden menu that allows you to select 2160@60hz,2160@50,25 and 24hz also 1080p@60/50/30/25 and 24hz. you can chose either. i selected 2160 and tried all of the hz settings but no joy! as far as the 1080p HD movie i was watching looked the same viewing it at 1080p. i used a qbox as i stated earlier and the videos were absolutely gorgeous

not a member
    I know you said you changed out the HDMI cables but make sure you are using a high bandwidth HDMI cable not a cheap one. The Fire TV will query the tv what it will allow and if your cable is not up to par it may only allow lower resolutions. You will want to make sure you have at least a high speed HDMI cable or HDMI 2.0 cable. I am not sure what TV you have but if you have an off brand it may be the manufacture might have improper or incomplete HDMI implementation so make sure your TV has the latest software updates. If your goinging through a receiver, try going directly to the TV. It may be that there is a incompatibility between the receiver and the TV. Also make sure your receiver has the latest software updates if it is a new receiver that as that ability.

TV Addicted
    the tv is made by Seiki and has built in up-conversion. all the cables i tried are hdmi 2.0 and also tried the seiki up converter cable too. i can switch the hdmi setting from 1.4 to 2.0. I know the tv will work better after testing the gbox q on it about a week ago. after i set the resolution on the Qbox in kodi to 3840x2160,the video was astounding on evrything i tried. 480 looked clean/clear and sharp/720 looked like 1080P and 1080p lit up the screen like i have never seen it before.

not a member
    Well I have never heard of that brand. It may be a incompatibility issue with the Fire TV and your TV with the HDMI Protocols and is why all the resolutions are not available for you to choose from.