Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TV Addicted

Recommended ISPs for IPTV Service over Wifi?

I was reading up on bandwith HERE and I had a few questions. What are some recommended ISPs to use for streaming IPTV over wifi? Plan to stream multiple boxes over wifi at once. Also what is a recommended internet speed over wifi for the ISP that is recommended? I ask because I currently have CenturyLink DSL 15 Mbps over wifi and can't watch without buffering while my father has fios 50Mbps and I can stream over wifi without buffering. My router is less than 10 feet away while my dad's was in the basement and I was on the main floor.

run a hard line from the router since its only 10 feet away, see if the buffering stops... the higher the speed, the less it will buffer.. you can look into some power line adapters which do work well too

TV Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSide View Post
    run a hard line from the router since its only 10 feet away, see if the buffering stops... the higher the speed, the less it will buffer.. you can look into some power line adapters which do work well too
    It's less than 10 feet away but it is still across the room. Ethernet is a no go. Not even PowerLine Adapters. I used those before to work from home and I would randomly lose connection. I was on Fios at the time. Just to test, I have etherneted into my current router before and noticed no change.

TV Addicted
    I have only 6 mbps and have no problem with wifi and the service. That said I have a wireless N router giving me the speeds on the network. But any way you slice it 6 meg service is just that. Now may I ask how do you know that it is the wifi in your house and not the speed to the servers? The speed to the servers will be affected by many things. How many online in your area? How far are you from the ISP's switching station? If you are more that 3 miles away there you will be slower. That's just a fact. Is the equipment in your area new or old? Here my ISP just replaced the local equipment. Service has improved greatly. I can stream 2 computers and two boxes at the same time with no problems. Again at only 6 meg per second down.
    My son in law has cable with 50 meg speed. He buffers all the time. Well he lives in town. I am country. He has a ton of traffic in his area. I do not. He has checked the distance and is more than 5 miles away from local switching station. I am only 2 miles away.
    Finally if you are sure that it is your wifi between the router and box, then I will suggest that you check the wifi channel the router is using. Find a channel that would be better. Many signal interference problems can be solved by changing from lets say channel 11 to channel 6 on the wifi. This is just a suggestion as the more wifi is used in your area, many routers are set to a "Default" channel to send their wifi signal on. Many people do not change that and as a result many are on the same channel and creating signal problems. If I was close to my router and had less than 100%, I would start by changing channels for the wifi.

Don't know if anything I have said will help you although I hope the info does. But it is what I know about wifi. Wish you luck!

TV Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitaldan View Post
    I have only 6 mbps and have no problem with wifi and the service. That said I have a wireless N router giving me the speeds on the network. But any way you slice it 6 meg service is just that. Now may I ask how do you know that it is the wifi in your house and not the speed to the servers? The speed to the servers will be affected by many things. How many online in your area? How far are you from the ISP's switching station? If you are more that 3 miles away there you will be slower. That's just a fact. Is the equipment in your area new or old? Here my ISP just replaced the local equipment. Service has improved greatly. I can stream 2 computers and two boxes at the same time with no problems. Again at only 6 meg per second down.
    My son in law has cable with 50 meg speed. He buffers all the time. Well he lives in town. I am country. He has a ton of traffic in his area. I do not. He has checked the distance and is more than 5 miles away from local switching station. I am only 2 miles away.
    Finally if you are sure that it is your wifi between the router and box, then I will suggest that you check the wifi channel the router is using. Find a channel that would be better. Many signal interference problems can be solved by changing from lets say channel 11 to channel 6 on the wifi. This is just a suggestion as the more wifi is used in your area, many routers are set to a "Default" channel to send their wifi signal on. Many people do not change that and as a result many are on the same channel and creating signal problems. If I was close to my router and had less than 100%, I would start by changing channels for the wifi.

Don't know if anything I have said will help you although I hope the info does. But it is what I know about wifi. Wish you luck!
    ISorry I should be more specific. I can use other streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and WWE Network just fine. So it is probably the connection from my ISP to the servers. In my apartment complex everyone who has internet can either get CenturyLink or Verizon. I assume the switching station is at the rental office. The apartment complex provides the modem (which I checked, it's a Docsis 2.0 modem) but we supply routers. The router I have is below. (model is JCG JYRN490S/Q5)
    Code:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YGULK90?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00
    The official name of my internet package is RoseConnex. It uses centurylink internet and dish for tv. I've been performing speed tests at random times of day and have had good results so I think that my ISP just can't handle the load. What ISP do you have Digitaldan?
    Last edited by Bmoe; 03-14-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Warrior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamentofking View Post
    Not even PowerLine Adapters. I used those before to work from home and I would randomly lose connection. I was on Fios at the time. Just to test, I have etherneted into my current router before and noticed no change.
    I've been using Powerline Adapters forever and they work flawlessly for me.

get active
    It's less than 10 feet away but it is still across the room. Ethernet is a no go. Not even PowerLine Adapters. I used those before to work from home and I would randomly lose connection. I was on Fios at the time. Just to test, I have etherneted into my current router before and noticed no change.
    You could set up an old wireless router as an access point, hardwire your box to the old router and it should work well unless you're running microwave, hair dryers and / or there is heavy 2.4ghze traffic and then you might want to consider using the 5ghz band on your base router and your old router if it has a 5ghz band. I'm fairly certain the AVOV boxes connect on the 2.4 ghz band so its either use wireless or hardwire it using whatever hardware or access point you want to use.

TV Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwood View Post
    You could set up an old wireless router as an access point, hardwire your box to the old router and it should work well unless you're running microwave, hair dryers and / or there is heavy 2.4ghze traffic and then you might want to consider using the 5ghz band on your base router and your old router if it has a 5ghz band. I'm fairly certain the AVOV boxes connect on the 2.4 ghz band so its either use wireless or hardwire it using whatever hardware or access point you want to use.
    Thanks but I'd rather not have more than one router in the house unless necessary.

But honestly, is the majority of everyone's internet in this forum just good enough to stream if only hardwired? To me a good ISP is one that can deliver good speeds over wifi (assuming there is nothing wrong at the consumer's end) because let's face it: there are plenty of devices that don't have an ethernet port so wifi is the way to go this day and age. Also not everyone has the resources (or the room) to get a professional-esque setup of network switches and ethernet jacks in their home.

get active
    Thanks but I'd rather not have more than one router in the house unless necessary.

But honestly, is the majority of everyone's internet in this forum just good enough to stream if only hardwired? To me a good ISP is one that can deliver good speeds over wifi (assuming there is nothing wrong at the consumer's end) because let's face it: there are plenty of devices that don't have an ethernet port so wifi is the way to go this day and age. Also not everyone has the resources (or the room) to get a professional-esque setup of network switches and ethernet jacks in their home.
    My Vixo 2 is not hardwired andit is literally less than 2 feet away from my router. It works fine on the 2.4ghz band but proper configuration helps as mine wasn't at first/

TV Addicted
    I have Centurylink internet only. It's DSL. All new lines. Were replaced about two years ago. Also had a new line put in for me last year. I run a wireless N router of the Belkin variety. No other TV services are piped in. All I share the line with is my Ip telephone. Have a great day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast