Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tv Shows

Colony (2016)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
    Actors: Josh Holloway, Sarah Wayne Callies, Peter Jacobson

Plot : In the not-too-distant future, Los Angeles has been invaded and occupied by outside forces, causing a rift between the city's residents; some have collaborated with the occupation, while others are rebelling and suffering the consequences that come with that choice.

My take: I have watched 7 episodes I keep waiting for something to really strike me but alas I am on the brink of giving up on this series. The show is watchable but keeping you interested seems to be hard for the writers and cast. When I saw the previews I was thinking it would be a series like falling sky's wow was I way off. Don't you just hate it when aliens take over the entire earth and yet the producers of this well below average sci-fi series don't ever show the aliens. The drones are always late when something major happens for a superior race that conquered the earth in the matter of hours it seems there would be more happening. Maybe I need more back story maybe this is just a low budge sci-fi flick that had so much potential but fell short. I would say stay away from this one save your viewing time for something better.
    My software has no bugs it develops random features.

Banshee (2013)

Genre: Action, Crime, Drama
    Actors: Antony Starr, Ivana Milicevic, Ulrich Thomsen

Plot : Lucas Hood (Antony Starr), an ex-con and master thief assumes the identity of a murdered sheriff where he continues his criminal activities. His past seems to haunt him by those he betrayed years earlier. This ex-con imposes his own brand of justice where violence erupts at every turn in the not so quiet Amish town, Banshee, Pennsylvania.

My take: Best show ever! I am sure there are other but this show is hands down great, and this is because of its ruthless pace in the story line. Speaking of the very 1st episode within 5min from the start what we get to see is, an Ex-con, Drugs, sex, nail biting car chase, fraudulent identity and some hand to hand action which make us believe that every object around us is a deadly weapon. Well, now you can make an estimation of the pace of the story telling. No need to say about the intensity of the thrills.

Lucas Hood is like Jason Bourne but more explosive you can't help but want his character to win. You will get sucked in within 5 minutes of the show. You will binge watch this show and when you are done you will want more! If you have not seen this series yet I will say this stop what you are doing and turn it on. The new season starts in 30 days from today...
    Last edited by wickedjoker; 03-02-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Penny Dreadful (2014)

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Horror
    Actors: Josh Hartnett, Timothy Dalton, Eva Green

Plot : Penny Dreadful is a powerfully written saga filled with dark mystery and suspense. It lives in a demimonde — a half world between reality and the supernatural — where personal demons from the past can be stronger than vampires, evil spirits and immortal beasts.

My take: If you are in to supernatural shows this is the one for you! what does a werewolf, vampire, supernatural immortal, and medium have in common? I don't know but the show is going to tell us! The story captures you entirely, it tenses your moral beliefs and makes you see a side of you which, in some cases, has never emerged, or, if it did, it will be like candy for children. The characters are immortal, at least the main cast. The way they can evolve is a tribute to the writer, director, producer and more importantly to them, as they go beyond themselves as individuals and become even more than a true character, they become immortal. Eva Green...was made for this role, or maybe the other way around... The historical aspect brings front characters of tales and stories, of mythological and biblical implications fluctuating the narrative line between the world of the living and that of the dead...or undead.

before watching this there was an interview with the creator of this series and he explains so elegantly what a penny dreadful was and how he came up with this idea. If you can find it on youtube watch it before starting the series so you can get some context.

Pinball Wizard
    The Strain (2014-___)

Genre: Horror
    Actors: Corey Stoll, David Bradley, Mía Maestro,Kevin Durand,Jonathan Hyde,Richard Sammel,Sean Astin

Plot: A thriller that tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers, wage war for the fate of humanity itself.

My Take: Very good series, the books were much better but when was a time the movie/tv series live up to the book It's a new look at the Vampire Genre which already overly saturated but this series is as realistic as a this genre can be. Low budget but with better graphics than any scifi show, acting is good with Corey Stoll as Dr. Ephraim "Eph" (good upcomming actor) and Kevin Durand as Vasiliy Fet. They could had casted a better actor for Professor Abraham Setrakian but David Bradley did an ok job. KoolKaTt and I used to discuss this series because it of the catchy storyline. Season 1-2 are available while "The Strain" season 3 premieres in the summer of 2016.

I didn't know it was from a book series I may have to check them out. Yes I love the new looks of the vampires they are more parasitic!

Zoo (2015)

Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller
    Actors: James Wolk, Kristen Connolly, Nonso Anozie

Plot : Violent animal attacks upon humans are occurring all over the world. Jackson Oz, an American zoologist who offers safaris in Africa, begins to notice the animals' strange behavior and takes it upon himself to solve the reason why before these attacks become more coordinated and ferocious.

My take: Zoo is a different animal I love the very premise of this series - that after years of torture and abuse the animals have had enough. Learning to cooperate and communicate with each other forcing mankind to adept or die. The show involves numerous species on a global scale, from our beloved house cats to lions in Africa. These animals are thinking, plotting, strategizing. It has some new twist and unlike planet of the apes these animals can not talk they have other means of communication that a small group of people are trying to figure out. I cant say enough good things about this show I would highly recommend it and give some major credit to all the animal trainers and actors and actresses that have to interact with them.

Mr. Robot (2015)

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
    Actors: Rami Malek, Christian Slater, Portia Doubleday

Plot : Elliot Alderson is a young cyber-security engineer living in New York, who assumes the role of a vigilante hacker by night. Elliot meets a mysterious anarchist known as "Mr. Robot" who recruits Elliot to join his team of hackers, "fsociety". Elliot, who has a social anxiety disorder and connects to people by hacking them, is intrigued but uncertain if he wants to be part of the group. The show follows Mr. Robot's attempts to engage Elliot in his mission to destroy the corporation Elliot is paid to protect. Compelled by his personal beliefs, Elliot struggles to resist the chance to take down the multinational CEOs that are running (and ruining) the world.

My take: This is an intense series it is a combination of fight club meets hackers. This show airs on the USA network which is amazing they had the nerve to take the risk on this show. The acting is spot on I am a fan of Christian Slater and really everyone in this cast. You will not be disappointed in this show at all if you are a tech savvy user of the internet, smart phones or computers this is an absolute MUST see. Even for those of you not so tech savvy please give this a go!
    Last edited by wickedjoker; 03-09-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Pinball Wizard
    You're the Worst (2014-__)

Genre: Comedy
    Actors: Chris Geere, Aya Cash, Desmin Borges, Kether Donohue

Plot:You’re the Worst is a comedic love story about what happens when two toxic, self-destructive people(Cash and Geere) fall in love despite themselves and attempt the impossible—a relationship.

Laser Take: One of the best comedies to come out in recent years, a little raunchy but the writing is superb. The actors a not well known which adds to my interest and they play the parts so well so kudos to the casting. I highly recommend you watch the first year and can assure you that you will become a fan!!

Bates Motel (2013)

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller
    Actors: Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore, Max Thieriot

Plot : "Bates Motel" is a contemporary prequel to the genre-defining film "Psycho," and gives a portrayal of how Norman Bates' (Freddie Highmore) psyche unravels through his teenage years. Fans discover the dark, twisted backstory of Norman Bates and how deeply intricate his relationship with his mother, Norma (Vera Farmiga), truly is.

My take: Season 4 just started and wow did it start with a bang! Bates Motel is the prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's (Psycho 1960) giving you incite into the Norman and Norma bates and there twisted relationship. I think that the actors are brilliant. The cast seems to have been carefully chosen, as the mother (Vera Farmiga) suits the role very well and the actor who plays Norman (Freddie Highmore) is absolutely perfect for the role. He is endearingly awkward. As you begin to learn more about the characters you get sucked in and what can I say you want just a little more time with the show. This could have easily been a CW or MTV show so glad it wast if you are worried about the teenage aspect of this show you will be pleasantly surprised that its not that kind of show it is truly dark and twisted from start to finish.

The Affair (2014)

Genre: Drama
    Actors: Dominic West, Ruth Wilson, Maura Tierney

Plot : The affair explores the emotional effects of an extramarital relationship between Noah (Dominic West), a dissolute schoolteacher and novelist, and Alison (Ruth Wilson), a waitress trying to piece her life and marriage back together in the wake of tragedy.

My take: This is not your typical show each 30 minute segment is dedicated to Either Noah or Alison and it is from there vantage point on how they see thing basically 2 sides to the same story. You definitely need to have your full attention when watching this series or you will get lost. The first season is how they meet and some drama happens season 2 is the aftermath. We will soon be starting season 3 and I for one cant wait. I hope you give this series a try just be aware of what you are getting into it starts slow but you need that build up. The show is an hour long but you are getting 30 minutes from each side of the affair and how they see it. You need to pay attention you cant be the dog from up and go squirrel or you will miss something important. I hope you enjoy this series as much as I do.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast