Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    unbanned christmas
    In the meanwhile here are a few recommendations that everyone of us could use for the sake of his own benefit:

HTML Code:
    https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/cscp/eCrime/wireless.htm

Found this
    Code:
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/12/how-an-internet-connected-samsung-tv-can-spill-your-deepest-secrets/
    form 2012. Sitting behind a router gives some security and even in the update to that thread it stated just that. But, sitting behind a router and then an internet filter running updated antivirus and a strong firewall stacks the odds a lot more.

I am digging through linux a little trying to find something suitable to me. So far I've dismissed dd-wrt86 ipfire and zeroshell. The draw for me is that everyone has an old pc or laptop sitting somewhere. Why not use that to secure yourself or play with to decide if you need it? I'm actually testing on a wyse 10 inch laptop with 1.2 processor and 1 gb memory because it's small and easy for me to play with. That's on the small scale for resources but shows that almost any processor you have lying around can be refurbished. Mine's more than adequate to run linux and after can be tucked away almost anywhere and forgotten like you would any router.

On the purchase front the cheapest solution I found was over $100 and itself ran some linux on it. A lot of them run the same linux version you can load on a pc like I'm playing with. I would like to put more time into the search but I'm currently limited by unrelated issues. The software is out there- just a matter of finding it

get active
    I have a Panasonic Smart Tv, I read the agreement that I had to agree to in order to use the Smart Tv internet software that they use and it allows them to collect, use and do whatever they like with the information collected. I viewed this as too invasive on what I watch, what is connected and where it comes from so I declined to use it. In fact I went into the Smart Tv programming and made sure it couldn't connect with any internet service. I'd advise anyone with a Smart Tv to read any agreements that are tied to the software and the internet before they agree to it.

unbanned christmas
    And how about updating the software on your tv which is necessary to maintain and improve the functionality of your tv.

get active
    Quote Originally Posted by date View Post
    And how about updating the software on your tv which is necessary to maintain and improve the functionality of your tv.
    You can update your tv software by downloading the update to your PC, unzip it, if it needs to be unzipped, transfer the software to a USB stick and load it via the USB port on your tv.

This can be done without firing up or connecting your tv to the Panasonic website or the internet. Not sure if this is what you're referring to, if not, it was worth mentioning.

get active
    [QUOTE=BIO;874]Thanks date, checked the link out.
    Problem is the tiny processor and no wireless.
    Not sure when it was originally manufactured, but my router probably has a better firewall.
    Really wanting the firewall and antivirus both in an updateable form.
    Actually been messing with ipfire a little tonight but I don't think it's what I want either.
    A lot has changed since I used it but wireless is still lacking and speeds are an issue.

You might want to check out an inexpensive option ...Hidemyass...it provides a secure server with scrambling, descrambling with random 128 countries including China for $ 5 bucks a month. Save buying a firewall or the hassle and any prying or spying. Read the reviews and get more information before making any decisions as it might be your best option.

unbanned christmas
    I got to agree with that since the more you can afford the better you will get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12