Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junoir Member

Jailbroken Android boxes

I will like to know about jailbroken boxes. Is any difference between one non jailbroken and one jailbroken? Will it work the addones better on jailbroken box? Should I buy a jailbroken box or not?

Fire From Within

Androids aren't 'jailbroken', they are 'rooted', which mean that you can have access to the root directory, and screw things up. It does allow you to write to certain directories which make it easier to install certain apps, like adblockers, or system folder modifiers, that a manufacturer doesn't want you to do.

Get a 'rooted' box, just be careful, and don't blame anyone if you screw things up.

Junoir Member
    Thanks for your reply dara, it is very helpful to me. So for a newbie that is not technical would you still suggest me getting a "rooted box" ?

Can you send me a few examples of a rooted box for sale. Is mygica an example of a rooted box?

thanks

Fire From Within

It depends on the box seller if they want to sell a rooted box, or allow rooting. I don't know about the mygica. No one will advertise that their box is rooted, you usually find out when you first try to do it. In general, generic boxes allow root access, but manufacturers that sell customized boxes can lock them down, to protect their customization. Ssearch for some videos on how to root an android device for newbies, but they can be unintentionally scary.

Junoir Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dara View Post
    It depends on the box seller if they want to sell a rooted box, or allow rooting. I don't know about the mygica. No one will advertise that their box is rooted, you usually find out when you first try to do it. In general, generic boxes allow root access, but manufacturers that sell customized boxes can lock them down, to protect their customization. Ssearch for some videos on how to root an android device for newbies, but they can be unintentionally scary.
    Awesome, thanks for your reply!

Off to youtube to search for some of those videos now......

what most of these guys mean by "jailbreaking" is that they have loaded it up with third party addons in kodi (which are free to begin with) and charge a premium

that type of advertising and labeling of a box is something you would want to stay away from... its a suckers box

get active
    Interesting how these boxes deliberately refrain from informing buyers as to who really limits the configuration or controls the boxes and what apps they can load and they make sure the buyer doesn't know before they buy them. If one were to buy any box without knowing all relevant information about the box, they could indeed become the owner of a "suckers" box.

Does anyone know or have any thoughts on the Nvidia Shield with respect to limits, configuration, apps ? It appears to have a powerhouse for memory, graphics and options.
    Last edited by Deadwood; 04-24-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: question

get active
    Quote Originally Posted by dara View Post
    Androids aren't 'jailbroken', they are 'rooted', which mean that you can have access to the root directory, and screw things up. It does allow you to write to certain directories which make it easier to install certain apps, like adblockers, or system folder modifiers, that a manufacturer doesn't want you to do.

Get a 'rooted' box, just be careful, and don't blame anyone if you screw things up.

I "think" the confusion with androids begins with how the primary focus begins with cellphones. Seems like anytime I go to do a search for androids, cellphones appear to be the one and only focus. Ironically, they relate to cellphones with references to jailbroken, dual sim and so forth,

Junoir Member
    Some applications need root access. On Kodi if you want to update manually the "librtmp" you need root access (this file is usefull to be udated to open some streams in rtmp).

Junoir Member
    so I ended up going with mygica 1900 model but I am so unhappy with it. Basically I need to research each and every add on and its not that easy to get good addons, so many crappy ones from what I can see. So I am not sure I am gonna keep this!!! If I can't get some good content then this box is useless for me...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast