Pinball Wizard

Cain Velasquez Out of UFC 196

In what will likely go down as one of the least surprising stories of 2016, heavyweight top contender Cain Velasquez is pulling out of the UFC 196 heavyweight championship match with Fabricio Werdum. His replacement? No. 2-ranked Stipe Miocic.

Velasquez's injury is a huge break for Miocic. While the Cleveland native has long been one of the heavyweight division's best fighters by combining an under-appreciated wrestling base with solid, technical boxing, poorly timed losses and a lack of name recognition have kept him along the periphery of the heavyweight title picture.

While White has previously suggested decision-makers were on-board with a Miocic title shot following UFC 196, the value of the UFC president's word is at an all-time low. What's more, current free agent Alistair Overeem, who owns a recent win over Werdum, was poised to cut in front of him, should he re-sign with the UFC. Replacing an injured Velasquez was one of the few ways Miocic could have ended up in a title fight without taking on another incredibly high-risk fight.

As for Velasquez, this is another hard blow for the former champ. Many questioned whether or not it was wise to give an oft-injured fighter a bout for the title with other viable options available, and even more debated whether or not he was even deserving, given Werdum's history with veterans like Andrei Arlovski and Junior dos Santos.

This latest issue, however, robs him of the opportunity to become a three-time UFC heavyweight champion. He issued a statement on Facebook detailing why he pulled out of the fight. "Training camp has been difficult for the last few weeks," he said. "But sometimes no matter how much the heart and mind want to fight through an injury, healing has its own timeline. We thought we'd get through it, but we had to face the truth that it wasn't going to be OK in time to fight."

Velasquez fans can rest easy, however as he promised a comeback by saying, "I will get this taken care...I will heal and will come back and show you the Cain Velasquez you all deserve to see." When and where he comes back, however, will likely remain a mystery for several months.

Pinball Wizard
    Dos Anjos vs. McGregor Now Headlines UFC 196; Hendricks vs. Thompson is a Fight Night

Following the loss of the heavyweight championship rematch between Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez, company officials elevated the UFC 196 co-main event between welterweights Johny Hendricks and Stephen Thompson to headlining status and moved the event to FOX Sports 1. They've also decided to renumber their pay-per-view events.

Hendricks vs. Thomspon, which takes place on Feb. 6 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, is now a Fight Night event, which means that the previously numbered UFC 197 event is now UFC 196.

Also taking place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on March 5, UFC 196 now features lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos and featherweight champion Conor McGregor battling for dos Anjos' belt, as well as bantamweight champ Holly Holm putting her title on the line against Miesha Tate.

The main card for UFC Fight Night: Hendricks vs. Thompson will air live on FS1 at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT, with prelims also airing on FS1 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT. The UFC Fight Pass Early Prelims, headlined by Mickey Gall vs. Mike Jackson, will begin at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT.

Fans seeking ticket refunds based on the changes to the Feb. 6 card can do so at the point of purchase.

Yep no Dos Anjos now it it is Nick Diaz...

I like Nick but he is going to get knocked out first round 2.5 minutes in!
    My software has no bugs it develops random features.

Pinball Wizard
    LOL...It would be interesting if it was Nick but is his brother Nate. Interesting thing about the Diaz brothers is that they have very good boxing skills and black bell brazilian jut-jitsu that being said CM will win in 2 rounds!!He is just too good IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedjoker View Post
    Yep no Dos Anjos now it it is Nick Diaz...

I like Nick but he is going to get knocked out first round 2.5 minutes in!

Doh my bad on the typo hahaha im still waking up.. Oh dang you are going second round win! I hope its not a dud like the last fight freaking 13 seconds...
    My software has no bugs it develops random features.

Pinball Wizard
    CM is way faster and the leg kicks are top notch..I will be watching for sure!!