New here with a question about hard drives

First of all hi! I've had my mag 254 for a few months now and regularly
    Plug my USB hard drive in to watch downloaded video files and have had no problems.
    Recently I was at a friends place who has a Mag 254 as well. I plugged his external drive in and it was not recognized by the 254! Incidently it was the same brand and size drive as mine
    Any ideas why?

iptv
    Things I would check, plug a remote keyboard, mouse connector or any other wireless device to see if his USB port on the MAG works, check the drive in a computer and see if it can be seen by the computer and last check to see how your drive is formatted (FAT32 or NTFS). There could be multiple partitions on the drive that would confuse MAG. It is best to have the MAG unit format the drive.

Does the format make a difference? Fat 32 or ntfs?
    Quote Originally Posted by iptv View Post
    Things I would check, plug a remote keyboard, mouse connector or any other wireless device to see if his USB port on the MAG works, check the drive in a computer and see if it can be seen by the computer and last check to see how your drive is formatted (FAT32 or NTFS). There could be multiple partitions on the drive that would confuse MAG. It is best to have the MAG unit format the drive.

iptv
    Although the MAG is a new device and can recognize NTFS, FAT32 has been the standard for all IKS receivers as well as early IPTV devices, if you do not have anything already recorded on the drive, try re partitioning it and format it the two different formats and see if it will be read by the MAG

Quote Originally Posted by iptv View Post
    Although the MAG is a new device and can recognize NTFS, FAT32 has been the standard for all IKS receivers as well as early IPTV devices, if you do not have anything already recorded on the drive, try re partitioning it and format it the two different formats and see if it will be read by the MAG
    Thanks for the reply! I've tried a thumb drive with FAT32 and one with NTFS and both work flawlessly on my unit so I guess my friends mag has USB port issues. I've contacted my seller and they are willing to exchange the unit under warranty.
    Thanks again!