XBMC with apple tv

A friend is trying to get xbmc working with apple tv.. He has it mirrored from his mac and xbmc is working fine, no problems... Only problem is, it doesn't seem to play in dolby digital?? from reading online, some say it does work, others say it doesn't?? Any one here have dolby digital with xbmc and apple tv working?? Thanks

Darkside

from what I read online is if the stream coming in is not dolby digital then that could be the reason why .

thanks for the reply.. i have read that too, but i know the stream is in dolby digital as it tells you that when the movie is playing in xbmc??? I'm still reading online, but was hoping someone out there had this working so i know it does work via air play with DD

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    Kodi will be dropping AppleTV2 official support some time soon.
    Don't know and don't even know if AppleTv falls under same as AppleTV2 ...but maybe this comes along same lines as that issue DarkSide.

quote from Kodi/AppleTV2 programer...
    'If you are currently using an AppleTV2 for Kodi, you may already have realised how the quality of the XBMC/Kodi experience has degraded on the device since the release of Frodo. The HD playback is unstable and liable to crash the device, and the overall performance is beginning to fall behind other platforms which are based on more recent hardware. From a developer’s point of view the AppleTV2 is a major challenge because Apple never released any Software Development Kit for it.'

he has apple tv 3 and it works with kodi when you mirror it, but the sound is only in stereo.. I have tried to talk him into just buying an android stb but he isnt online for that yet! lol... i was over there for some time today just playing with settings and drinking his beer lol but no dolby digital... would be nice if it was supported soon but if not, guess hes just gonna have to man up and get a new toy! lol

So, just to get this straight, your friend has an stock appletv? And then they are airplay mirroring from a computer to the appletv? I have used this setup before in a room at the house. From what I have read airplay is certainly able to transmit 5.1 dolby when transmitted within an app, but when mirroring, it cannot.

that is his set up.. stock apple tv 3, imac in another room... no dolby digital... i googled that question and got many different answers so i didnt wanna waste anymore time if it couldnt be done, and from your response sounds like it wont... thanks

Yeah, he should do what I did. Put the AppleTV in a kids room or some other room where the sound does matter as much and buy something nicer! Always nice to have an excuse to do that!

ive been trying to make an excuse for him to buy something new.. hes hard headed, guess it runs in the family!! lol