PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Horror Movies of All Time

Kimbo
10-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Here are my favorite scary movies of all time:

10. 13 Ghosts - personal favorite because of the story line, don't judge!!:p did you know that there is really a black zodiac!!

9. Night of the Living Dead - George Romero Original Classic

8. The Shinning - a Horror classic with outstanding performances

7. Silence of the lambs - Writing, Directing, acting and overall make this a must see (won 5 academy awards including movie of the year)

6. Hellraiser - One of Horror movies best Villains ever, Pinhead is the ultimate, thank you Clive Barker

5.Halloween 2 - Halloween set the standard for slasher films, Halloween 2 was everything that I wanted and more!

4. Insidious - I'm not really a PG movie horror fanatic so for this movie to make my list had to be special

3.The Devil's Rejects - Rob zombie at his best, characters that are down right sick...what more can you ask in a movie!!

2. The Sixth Sense - that part at the end when Cole tells his mom " I wish to communicate" just wow. M. Night Shyamalan what happen to you?

1. The Exorcist - what is there to say about this movie that has not already been said. FYI I slept with a bible for a long time after watching this movie!!

Honorable mention- Rosemary's baby, It, Poltergeist, Day of the Living Dead (original) and the Evil Dead!!

What is your list?

Marley
10-31-2015, 04:47 PM
me its bell from hell and watching the witch hunter so far 4 maybe will get better

theuduk
10-31-2015, 05:02 PM
Remember one from when I was very young saw t when I was very young 1951 The Thing From Outer Spacce, a Howard Hawks movie with James Arness later of guns ole.
Does not compare to today's Blood and Guts but sure kept me on the edge of my seat.

Kimbo
10-31-2015, 05:27 PM
Cult classics such as Killer Klowns from Outer Space (one of my favorite), Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein!!!

Roach46
10-31-2015, 07:32 PM
Remember one from when I was very young saw t when I was very young 1951 The Thing From Outer Spacce, a Howard Hawks movie with James Arness later of guns ole.
Does not compare to today's Blood and Guts but sure kept me on the edge of my seat.

dude, lmao, saw that when it came out in a matte nay, when I was about 7, thanks to that movie, I`m still afraid of the boogie man till this day,

ilan
11-01-2015, 09:22 PM
I'll chime in more responsibly when I have given it more thought. I would have a hard time setting things in a 1, 2, 3 scenario, because it just ain't that easy.

I will say I loved the early classics. They set the standard, and they were damn good...the 30's and 40's with Dracula (Bela), the Mummy (Karloff) , Frankenstein (Karloff), the Wolfman (Lon Cheney Jr). They were made for adults, and they stand the test of time, not like the weak CGI movies of today, made almost exclusively for kids. Of course, their prdecessors, Golem, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Murneaus's (spelling?) Nosferatu with Max Shreck (spelling?) were great examples of expressionist horror.

Now, Laser, I liked Halloween 2 as well, but I liked the original better (ostensibly Halloween 1, but just Halloween, technically), but they were both done well. I think Carpenter's earliest works were his best.

Romero's Night of the living Dead is a classic as well, something I'm sure he would have never imagined on the paltry budget he had.

The Haunting is up there. Robert Wise. Never saw the monster, but you were scared sh*tless nonetheless. The sounds...the walls bulging...damn! And Wise's The Day the Earth Stood Still is one of my all time favorite SciFi treats. I know... I digress.

I think Nightmare on Elm Street was done well. But the franchise beyond that was disappoitning. Once I get to know the "monster," or source of fear, I'm not scared. Freddy became a parody of the early role. Think of it, the original premise...If you surrender youself to sleep, I'm going to get you. What choices do you have? That's scary!.

Great thread!

Capt.Kangaroo
11-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Great list Laser, some of my favorites as well/
Also would add..

House of 1000 Corpses
Salems Lot
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Omen

Kimbo
11-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Nosferatu and the ones you mentioned are definitely groundbreaking acting and movies!!!Love them all and can see each more than once!! awesome post :)

ilan
11-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Yes, Captain, Tobe Hooper's Texas was great. When they were in the van at the very beginning, it was unsettling...and you knew a happy ending was not in store. That set the stage for Leatherface and his "delightful" family to make things more menacing...and more menacing ... So good...and so unsettling...and that is the objective of a great horror flick.

Kimbo
11-01-2015, 10:08 PM
there are other that i like a lot like Silent Hill, invasion of the body snatchers, the pit and the pendulum, Interview with a vampire, an american werewolf in london, Saw!! to name a few!!

ilan
11-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Good call on Invasion. The 50's and 70's versions were quite good. I tend to favor the Kevin McCarthy, 50s, version but that is probably because I grew up/first saw that one. I know there was a 90s version, too, but I'll be damned if that made a dent in my memory. Maybe I should give that one another look.

I need to give Silent Hill another watch...I won't say much until then.

One of my cult favorites...Carnival of Souls. So laid back but unsettling.

Boy, they don't make 'em like they used to...

ilan
11-02-2015, 12:19 AM
As I was pressing Submit on the last post, The Birds and Psycho came to mind. Well done Hitchcock offerings.

ilan
11-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Good scene from the Haunting. She (Julie Harris, Eleanor in the movie), portrayed as mentally fragile in the movie, asks the other girl in the room (Claire Bloom, Theo in the movie) to hold her hand for comfort. Eleanor thinks she is hearing a child being being tormented -- and thus her references to "you can't do that to a child." Great atmosphere and this scene and many others in the movie harken back to early German, expressionist horror. Robert Wise (Director) was a master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sog3etUwtSk

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/

ilan
11-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Some sad news in this vein...

http://ww2.kqed.org/arts/2015/11/10/gunnar-hansen-who-played-leatherface-in-texas-chain-saw-massacre-dies

Kimbo
11-12-2015, 08:39 PM
Yes I read..Sad sad news!!!the original Leatherface :(

Kimbo
12-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Best Horror Movies of 2015

5. Bone Tomahawk
4. Crimson Peak
3. Insidious: Chapter 3
2. The Gift
1. It Follows

Bad year for horror movies, could not even have a top 10 since there were not enough "good" horror films this year!!

ilan
12-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Hmmmm... That's not even quite a top 5 list. You've got Bone Tomahawk in there twice. :)

Kimbo
12-27-2015, 06:32 PM
My bad, fixed it with the gift :o
Hmmmm... That's not even quite a top 5 list. You've got Bone Tomahawk in there twice. :)

Marley
12-27-2015, 07:16 PM
yea not to many good ones

Kimbo
01-10-2016, 09:09 PM
R.I.P. Angus Scrimm, Phantasm villain has died at 89

Angus Scrimm, American actor and Grammy-winning author, died Saturday night. The 89-year-old was best known for his chilling performance as The Tall Man in Don Coscarelli’s cult horror series, Phantasm.

Born Lawrence Rory Guy in Kansas City, Kansas, Scrimm studied theater at USC in Los Angeles, CA, where he started working at Capitol Records writing liner notes for the likes of Frank Sinatra and The Beatles, which eventually won him a Grammy.

After starring in a couple of horror films, Scrimm soon caught Coscarelli’s eye for his 1976 production, Jim, the World’s Greatest, and the filmmaker later hired him again for his 1979 cult horror masterpiece, Phantasm.

As The Tall Man, Scrimm unleashed inter-dimensional terror, specifically spherical balls that would bludgeon its victims. He would reprise the iconic role four times over the years, including the forthcoming Phantasm: Ravager, due out later this year.

“Angus Scrimm passed away peacefully tonight surrounded by his friends and loved ones,” Coscarelli wrote on his Facebook. “He was 89 years old. His performance as the Tall Man is a towering achievement in horror film history. He was the last in a long line of classic horror movie stars. Angus was a terrific actor and an even better friend. He will be missed.

ilan
01-11-2016, 05:38 PM
RIP, Angus...

Kimbo
06-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Conjuring 2 comes out today, hoping is a good movie!!

Marley
06-13-2016, 04:29 AM
going to watch that tonight

Kimbo
06-14-2016, 07:04 PM
So how was it? I see it on Cam
going to watch that tonight