PDA

View Full Version : stb emulator or kodi ???

curgs
10-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Been reading but maybe someone can direct me to what is the difference from running an emulator or kodi

just getting an mxIII android box and going to get rocket or nfps, but really want to know what would be a better fit between the two

any help would be great

dara
10-17-2015, 01:56 PM
An emulator duplicates the functions of a device (like the MAG 250) and is run on a different platform (like Android). Kodi is a media player that through add-ons or plug-ins can access media on your local machine, your local network or the internet. The analogy is that an emulator is like a specialized tool like a left handed torque wrench, while Kodi is a Swiss Army knife.

For you, the easiest method is to use one of the emulators, like the Official Andriod Emulator posted here that only requires you to enter in your linked Mac. If you can do the learning, then Kodi is the best for flexibility.

Joan55
10-17-2015, 06:44 PM
I can tell that I tried the stb emulator 6.13 and it freezes so much that I cant even watch a movie in peace. I currently am running the stalker client in kodi and is working great but Im currently looking for a good working stb emulator. I will start a thread in a bit.

curgs
10-17-2015, 07:42 PM
So then if i understand you,,, an emulator is run off of your computer and if i buy an android box like mxlll then i would just use kodi?

big dady
10-17-2015, 07:53 PM
No emulator run on android box and pc just like kodi but it's easier to set up on android box for iptv then on kodi with less problems. I use Kodi for other stuff but stb emulator for iptv

curgs
10-17-2015, 10:30 PM
so do you recommend if I sign up for like nfps or rocket iptv , then the stb emulator is better than kodi for that ?

curgs
10-17-2015, 10:44 PM
just trying to figure out what is the smoothest way to go for an android box,,,, I really only care about getting a paid donation from rocket or nfps

so based on that and wanting it for an epg and pvr function is an emulator or kodi the way to go ??

dara
10-17-2015, 11:04 PM
My recommendation is to install the emulator on the android and see how that works for you. You can learn about Kodi and do that later, and even try it out on a PC, then maybe make a switch if you like that.

psycon
10-17-2015, 11:26 PM
i say just go with kodi. setting it up for stalker is trivial, if you can't figure it out another hobby may be better for you ;)

For me, the interface alone is reason enough to use it instead of the emulator (or a mag box for that matter).. the stalker interface, to me, is ugly and inefficient. add the fact that with kodi u can add other plugins ( you want genesis, trust me on this). you have a one stop app that handles all your media needs...
even install the kodi launcher app so when you boot your device, or pres the home button, it stays in kodi, there is no need to go to the android interface... (but if you need to you can get to all your apps through kodi anyways)

curgs
10-17-2015, 11:41 PM
great post guys ,,, much help

dara
10-17-2015, 11:50 PM
I don't disagree with psycon ... ultimately you want to get to use Kodi.

big dady
10-18-2015, 01:10 AM
The truth is put both on the android box and see the one that you like the best

mtechmb
03-19-2016, 03:41 PM
Please help me with the setup process for STB Emulator 7.14 Thanks

nav2014
06-28-2016, 02:52 PM
I have been using Kodi for 3 years now on a HTPC laptop and like it for all the Video on Demand type of stuff. And if you use the tvaddsons customization, installing addons is a breeze. But recently got into the live tv need and started using the Stalker Client built into Kodi 16 with a service. Then tried the same service on an Android phone (temporarily as I do not have an Android box yet) using the STB Emulator App. I will say that for live TV the Emulator route is lot more better. You can flip between channels lot easier and they flip faster in the Emulator. And the service I use does not have VOD if using it via Kodi, but you get it if using it via STB Emulator.
I could not find an Emulator for use on my Windows HTPC. You can go Bluestacks or Memu route, but that would slow down my barebones HTPC. And in the end, you still cannot get the close to dumb remote experience of a cable tv box. I have a compact bluetooth keyboard with trackpad that I use with the HTPC. I tried the Yatse remote for channel flipping. That works, but then going back from a full screen live fee to the Windowed feed on the right and channel listing on the left was not easy to get into.
In the end, I gave up and have ordered a cheap $50 bucks Android box. Will use Kodi for rest of the VOD stuff and the Android box for live tv. I will install Kodi on the Android box as well and maybe entirely get rid of the HTPC Laptop and use it for something else.

geraldlew
01-16-2017, 11:10 PM
how can i get a working mac address for stb amulator ?

geraldlew
01-16-2017, 11:11 PM
when i click on stb amulator it says the box is blocked call your service provider what should i do in this case

Tha Joker
01-16-2017, 11:13 PM
You need to make up a mac for the emu. Needs to start with 00:1a:78 then you can use the last 6 of your device or make it up.