PDA

View Full Version : M8s any good?

apom
09-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Are these boxes any good? I've read mixed reviews. Some people report that they are buggy and crash or overheat, have bad wifi range, remote control doesn't work well etc.. I'll be using it for iptv with a stalker client or stb emu and kodi of course.

Also clone vs. real? How to tell? Does it even matter? It seems like they are made by some company in china with very little software support anyway. Locally an M8s is about $120-130 cad vs. $80 cad shipped online. (ebay, amazon, alibaba) Some sellers are in the US. Some are in China.

Another box I that I am considering is the avov fuse. It sounds like it will be a lot more user friendly. Probably more stable. (more support from avov) Concerns are that it's not as open as the M8s, less ram and I don't think it will have optical out or even analog out. I would like to hook it up to a surround sound system.

Thanks in advance!

Kimbo
09-30-2015, 06:58 PM
I set up a couple of M8 for friends they are okay, Avov Fuse is another story!! I would go with the Fuse due to my experience with Avov..reliable boxes, top of the line hardware and support!! and yes very very user friendly!!

apom
09-30-2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It seems like all these boxes have issues and it's a matter of picking the least problematic one.

Kimbo
09-30-2015, 08:59 PM
I agree, i have a MX2, MXQ, Avov Vixo 2 and i have worked on many others. Like the world nothing is perfect, i received better customer service with Avov. Also they are coming out with Avov TVOnline+ for $129 after researching the specs and support. It's best bang for my buck!!

Roach46
09-30-2015, 09:28 PM
i`m using an M8 for almost a year now, it streams 12 hours a day, everyday, never runs past 86 degrees, bought more of them to sell, there are some do`s and dont with the M8, same for any box, i have crashed mine numerous times, but it was by my own doing, i have upgraded the rom, I have it "fully loaded" lol, never really use any of the addons, except iptv, runs excellent on there, recently I discovered the STB, from google, modified the demo settings for iptv and i have not used kodi since, I feel guilty, there is a way to tell the clone for the original but cant remember that one right now, buy one from china,

apom
09-30-2015, 09:56 PM
I think I will keep the M8 boxes for people that are more tech savvy. It seems like you almost need a degree from M.I.T. to run one lol. Definitely not for people that car barely turn a tv on. Avov seems like less of a hassle for the average person. Is 1gb of ram enough for kodi though?? Some say it runs slow with 1gb

Mygica boxes look pretty sleek. I don't like how they don't really support older models. Also read about issues with the new 1800s crashing. People bricking older models with firmware updates.. etc.. Unacceptable for a "premium" box!

Kimbo
09-30-2015, 10:01 PM
1GB is more than enough, I have a lot addons and I still have 3953mb free left which is more than half!!

apom
09-30-2015, 10:31 PM
Good to know! Thanks,

I just saw that a amazon fire tv box is coming out in a few weeks. Looks awesome. 2gb of ram and only $99. This box might give everyone a run for their money!

cjayr
10-01-2015, 02:51 AM
Good to know! Thanks,

I just saw that a amazon fire tv box is coming out in a few weeks. Looks awesome. 2gb of ram and only $99. This box might give everyone a run for their money!

Yes! I seen that. Fire is nice. My M8s box almost makes me keep going to the Fire stick, plus the M8 a little more troublesome to load up things. Fire is very small fast and with ADBfire a breeze to setup.

psycon
10-01-2015, 03:19 AM
M8 is a decent box. MXQ works fine as well for genesis/stalker.

apom
10-01-2015, 07:16 PM
So consensus. Decent box but nothing special.

MXQs can be purchased for about $40 wholesale. They are pretty cheap. I wish the M8 boxes had firmware like the TV online boxes.

I think I'm going to hold out for the fuse. I'll let you guys know how it is.

node
10-05-2015, 05:20 AM
M8 is an amazing box lots of power and speed, 2gb+8gb once a good version of OpenElec is put on it. I am not into Android, but putting Linux on this unit you will not look back. If you looking at a better unit try T10 S812 processor and faster, again running OE.

Kodi64
10-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Hey apom
be care full there are a lot of clones of the M8S out there and have serious issues with wifi and Ethernet connections
basically will shut down every 15 minutes
My first was a clone and had this issue I demanded that the seller get me a real M8S and works very very good
How to tell you have a clone is that on the packaging a real M8S will have mac and serial on the bottom of packaging if not there you have a clone and will more then likely have wifi and Ethernet issues
this box is extremely quick on boot up it cleans up space every time you launch an app
this is my second favourite box
picture is very very good crisp and clean
and for the price that they go for worth every penny
my current favourite is the Tronsmart orion 68 meta this has a serious kick azz everything it is very new to market so probably no clones out yet I bought mine from fleabay on a pricing mistake from the seller who honoured it I was stunned

Marley
10-06-2015, 06:39 PM
yea 99.00 dollars for Tronsmart orion 68 meta

grumpytom
10-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Hey apom
be care full there are a lot of clones of the M8S out there and have serious issues with wifi and Ethernet connections
My first was a clone and had this issue I demanded that the seller get me a real M8S and works very very good
How to tell you have a clone is that on the packaging a real M8S will have mac and serial on the bottom of packaging if not there you have a clone and will more then likely have wifi and Ethernet issues
this box is extremely quick on boot up it cleans up space every time you launch an app
my current favourite is the Tronsmart orion 68 meta this has a serious kick azz everything it is very new to market so probably no clones out yet I bought mine from fleabay on a pricing mistake from the seller who honoured it I was stunned

Are you sure about the box being a clone if there is no mac and serial number on the "packaging"? I bought a M8S from Goobang Doo (China) and there is no labels on the outside of the box, however there is a label with the mac address stuck on the bottom of the device. I have not had any real issues with the box itself but I have had some problems with the Mini keyboard I got at the same time.

manx
10-08-2015, 02:30 AM
Greetings...
Hello all, newbie here. Just got the M8S box last week and enjoying it right now.
Btw, I have 1 major issue. At Setting>Digital audio auto-detection, i am not able to turn it OFF.
Anybody facing the same issue? Any help or suggestions? Appreciate and thanks in advance.

curgs
10-18-2015, 06:21 PM
regarding the tronsmart,,, yes looks like far advanced from the rest at present but the remote looks real cheap with nothing hardly on,,, no number pad at all

eureka
10-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Greetings...
Hello all, newbie here. Just got the M8S box last week and enjoying it right now.
Btw, I have 1 major issue. At Setting>Digital audio auto-detection, i am not able to turn it OFF.
Anybody facing the same issue? Any help or suggestions? Appreciate and thanks in advance.
Your attached image suggests that you don't have the option to toggle the remote control setting to ON or OFF which is probably where your problem lies.

Before making any changes take a note of what you change & what is was before you changed it!

Depending on what sort of remote you're using you'll need to go to the Other tab (orange & beside Advanced) then More Settings, Language & Input, Keyboard & Input methods & depending on what sort of remote you have perhaps Physical Keyboard - apply what's necessary or play around with those settings. Then go back to Advanced & see if the option is available to toggle ON/OFF remote control. Toggle it ON & then you should be able to toggle Digital audio auto-detection to OFF.

kate
12-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Hey apom

I just ordered these in and I only see a sticker on the bottom with a Mac address. NO serial number so are they clones?

LEAFER9999
12-22-2015, 10:29 PM
the real M8S boxes are fantastic , dont buy from Goobang Doo (China) from my experience, and make sure the expert mode is chosen in settings to make changes

kate
12-24-2015, 04:02 PM
the real M8S boxes are fantastic , dont buy from Goobang Doo (China) from my experience, and make sure the expert mode is chosen in settings to make changes

Are you running on these stbemulator on these by any chance? I did and the picture quality is pixilation and out of sync. Just wondering as I've been trying for days to get this running properly and nothing is helping.

sat-junkie
12-24-2015, 11:57 PM
For me these $40 dollar m8 clones from China are fun to tinker around with..i found a whole new world with all the custom firmwares that are floating around plus there is openelec you can play around with too..i love this MXIII box with the mali octocore gpu i can almost use this as my daily pc its so fast..i thew mame and all the emulators on it what a killer gaming machine if your into retro gaming

zensat
12-26-2015, 01:58 AM
do yourself a favor to avoid chine clones that do not resemble the specifications....
tryed and it's slow not responding to remote, crushes, stop playing and trws against the wall several times.
get a firetv box 2gb ram 8gbrom if you can root good
if you can't better...it runs everything

Lowteck
12-26-2015, 07:51 PM
I have a M8S and so does two of my friends. They work great -- no problems at all. One got a power surge/brownout that affected all my electronics and it would not get past the initialize screen, but it was replaced.

tm250
01-14-2016, 10:19 PM
my m8s 1 month old is very good for movies addons
but not for nfps iptv setup

bernie D
04-01-2016, 04:59 PM
M8 and M8S are not the same. M8 is based on S802 which is older and has problems with some Kodi addons unless you go into settings and make changes in the video accelerators. Then, there were many many variations and clones. The M8S uses the S812 and CAN BE far superior, if you get a good supplier. To be safe, you can buy a name brand, or a MXIII-G that is a well supported box and has quite good stability. Only a few dollars US more, and a safer bet for most. Beelink, Tronsmart and other known and supported brands. I buy generic M8S but from 1 specific supplier and know I'm getting good boxes. You won't have that luxury and it's a real gamble since once again there are so many M8S marked boxes all looking the same, but with huge differences in quality. Buy from one of the better brand names, and you will be able to run nfps IPTV stalker just fine. Other clones, etc....well best of luck.

s_coons
05-03-2016, 04:32 PM
For me these $40 dollar m8 clones from China are fun to tinker around with..i found a whole new world with all the custom firmwares that are floating around plus there is openelec you can play around with too..i love this MXIII box with the mali octocore gpu i can almost use this as my daily pc its so fast..i thew mame and all the emulators on it what a killer gaming machine if your into retro gaming

I have a cheap box (Goobang Doo- OTT) that works OK, but has too much bloat-ware. I prefer using my Rasp Pi2. My question is, can I reset the box and flash OpenElec as the operating system? I figure it will run better without all the bloatware. I had already removed many of the stock apps, deleted and re-installed Kodi, but would still like to streamline it as all I use it for is Kodi. Thanks

ahmedsalo
05-03-2016, 04:43 PM
I just got T10plus and its really the best android tv box
i had m8s but they are not good enough