PDA

View Full Version : Real MAC Address on Ethernet Port

the_sim
08-24-2015, 01:00 PM
I use my router to block Internet access on my devices during certain hours. This is done by putting restrictions on the MAC address of the port used to connect, either Ethernet or WIFI. I use Ethernet to connect my box and I find the MAC address by looking at the IP address table in my router, find the MAC address associated with the IP address of the device I want to block and create a rule. This works on all my devices except on my Vixo 2. The Vixo 2 changes MAC address almost on a daily basis.Is there a way to hard code or make the MAC address permanent on this device?

K00lKatT
08-24-2015, 01:42 PM
the mac address for your avov remains constant, otherwise you would be getting authorization errors all the time...

the_sim
08-24-2015, 07:40 PM
the mac address for your avov remains constant, otherwise you would be getting authorization errors all the time...

I had also assumed that at first but found out that it is not. The MAC address in the TV Online app is not the actual MAC address of the network connection. If you look at the IP address of your Vixo 2 and lookup the MAC address associated to that IP address you will see that. The actual MAC address changes very often. I have had to create multiple rules in order to block this device from accessing the Internet.

the_sim
08-24-2015, 11:49 PM
You can also tell the MAC address by going into Kodi - System Info - Network.

Lowteck
08-25-2015, 02:03 AM
I have noticed the same thing, but for me the kodi mac address is different also.

Dream Robber
08-25-2015, 10:50 AM
only difference on the Kodi mac should be a :78: instead of :79: and the mac address they want is on your AVOV not your router
Dr.

Lowteck
08-25-2015, 05:03 PM
If you go into Kodi system-information you will see a mac address that is not either the mac address of the AVOV or the one in the router. Mine does not even have a 78. I did edit the mac with the 00:1A:78 and register with an extra account in Rocket and it works to use stalker in KODI.

the_sim
08-25-2015, 07:27 PM
If you look at my original post it has nothing to do with live TV or registering my MAC address for access. All of this is working.
I am trying to block my box from accessing the Internet during certain times of the day so my kids will have to do something else.
This is done by blocking the MAC address of the devices as it appears on the router. The MAC address that shows up in Kodi is the actual MAC address of the Ethernet port that I need to block. It works but that MAC address changes every day or so. I have to create a new rule every day to keep blocking it. I was wondering if there was a way to stop this MAC address from changing.

Lowteck
08-26-2015, 04:45 PM
My KODI mac address has not changed in a couple of weeks because I keep using stalker in kodi. I am not sure about the router mac address that shows up on the router for the box. I will monitor this for a few days to see if mine changes.