PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbie Here

SmboBeast
07-14-2015, 05:00 AM
Hi guys,

I've been out of the game since FTA pretty much died after the Nagra 3 switch.

Lately, I was curious about things, and started to mess around with XBMC, specifically TVMC. Everything here is great and all, and it's greatly appreciated. I'm loving things with all the Video Addons, but coming from cable/satellite, I really would love to have Live TV, with accurate an EPG. I'm finding it difficult to get both of these.

Aside from this, I keep on having to update my lists (as I'm sure you all do as well) to constantly keep channels up. Are there paid subscriptions that would offer a better situation? Is that what iksprivateserver and iksrocket are?

Finally, all these boxes are so confusing, and everyone has such a different opinion on things. I was going to go with ASUS Chromebox, but lately I'm reading about more formal IPTV set-top boxes such as AVOV and MAG254/255. Are these all considered set-top boxes? Do they fall under the same category?

I'm mainly interested in making a smooth transition from a paid service like satellite/cable to IPTV, especially since some in the household aren't tech savvy. Would love to record live TV, have a working EPG, and have quality and stable feeds. What would my best option be?

Thanks

CableCost$
07-14-2015, 05:07 AM
Right now is a big tranbsition period. For one, nobody knows whether Kodi will work or not (although we're pretty sure it will). Therefore we don't know the limitations of each device. What we do know is that it will support AVOV & the MAG boxes. I would wait until everyones knows fore sure. Which will be the 15th when the server goes private.

crazed 9.6
07-14-2015, 05:09 AM
many people speculate what good is a server when you can get all IPTV channels for free anyway.. But thing is that 'all for free' includes searching and adding and adjusting and editing and trying different things in order to get some quality channels and live channels. Sports are a good example why 'live' is important.

Both are STBs.
AVov is an experience all on it's own :)
Mag has 'inner' abilities, sometimes found complicated but efficient :)

SmboBeast
07-14-2015, 05:30 AM
Right now is a big tranbsition period. For one, nobody knows whether Kodi will work or not (although we're pretty sure it will). Therefore we don't know the limitations of each device. What we do know is that it will support AVOV & the MAG boxes. I would wait until everyones knows fore sure. Which will be the 15th when the server goes private.

Thanks CableCost. I'm reading on the forum that everyone should go and donate now because things will be much more expensive after the 15th. Is this true? Also, each STB needs its own donation?

SmboBeast
07-14-2015, 05:33 AM
many people speculate what good is a server when you can get all IPTV channels for free anyway.. But thing is that 'all for free' includes searching and adding and adjusting and editing and trying different things in order to get some quality channels and live channels. Sports are a good example why 'live' is important.

Both are STBs.
AVov is an experience all on it's own :)
Mag has 'inner' abilities, sometimes found complicated but efficient :)

crazed, thanks for your input. That's exactly what I was thinking. Although the 'all for free' model can work, if there is something that is in place for a decent price, I wouldn't mind giving in to the service.

About the STBs - is the ASUS Chromebox considered an STB as well?

CableCost$
07-14-2015, 05:38 AM
Thanks CableCost. I'm reading on the forum that everyone should go and donate now because things will be much more expensive after the 15th. Is this true? Also, each STB needs its own donation? Yes, correct. Right now it's $70 for 1 donation if you get it before the 15th when the new server goes private. After the 15th it goes up to $80 per donation until Oct 14th, which then will be $105 per donation. BUT, you need to be sure that your have a device that supports the new server. Right now we only know that these devices will work for sure;
MAG250, MAG254 (Recommended), MAG260 (Works but is very unstable), AVOV.

HOWEVER, if the new server supports Kodi (like most of us suspect will) then your options on supported devices will go up tremendously.

EDIT: I didn't exactly answer you final question. Read here on how that works.
http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?4935-IPTV-Service-FAQ-for-new-users-from-a-new-user

crazed 9.6
07-14-2015, 05:41 AM
STB can be associated with most any device that is capable of connecting to a network, LAN or WAN

Is that ASUS an STB ?
Yes.

That box seems thou that it can load APPs , may be limited to software onboard. It's more of a operating system to view the web or netflix (or what ever else they have as options).
The ability of APPs is confusing thou, prolly only approved APPs is what they mean.

SmboBeast
07-14-2015, 05:41 AM
Yes, correct. Right now it's $70 for 1 donation if you get it before the 15th when the new server goes private. After the 15th it goes up to $80 per donation until Oct 14th, which then will be $105 per donation. BUT, you need to be sure that your have a device that supports the new server. Right now we only know that these devices will work for sure;
MAG250, MAG254 (Recommended), MAG260 (Works but is very unstable), AVOV.

HOWEVER, if the new server supports Kodi (like most of us suspect will) then your options on supported devices will go up tremendously.

You are THE man. Thank you for breaking it down. Makes all the sense in the world. I will wait until the 15th to see what happens and will go from there. Thank you again!

SmboBeast
07-14-2015, 05:43 AM
STB can be associated with most any device that is capable of connecting to a network, LAN or WAN

Is that ASUS an STB ?
Yes.

That box seems thou that it can load APPs , may be limited to software onboard. It's more of a operatimng system to view the web or netflix (or what ever else they have as options).
The ability of APPs is confusing thou, prolly only approved APPs is what they mean.

Makes total sense. And yes it allows for approved apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc.). On top of that, Kodi can be put on it so it's extensible. Thank you again. I'll wait until the 15th, and see what my options are, and go from there.

CableCost$
07-14-2015, 05:46 AM
Welcome sir.

crazed 9.6
07-14-2015, 06:03 AM
An android device is what you are describing. Yes it is an STB.
While a android phone is not an STB , but yet can do same things as an android STB... Follow me ?
Set Top Box

Your's is a STB android.
Look for android codename onboard in a menu somewhere.

http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?38-What-is-Code-Names

SmboBeast
07-14-2015, 06:06 AM
An android device is what you are describing. Yes it is an STB.
While a android phone is not an STB , but yet can do same things as an android STB... Follow me ?
Set Top Box

Your's is a STB android.
Look for android codename onboard in a menu somewhere.

http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?38-What-is-Code-Names

Got it! TY Sir.

SmboBeast
07-16-2015, 12:31 AM
Hi guys,

Does the new server support Kodi? Or is it too early to tell? I'm only asking because I can't find a thread on the topic.

dara
07-16-2015, 12:33 AM
Read post #2 of this thread, right after your first post.

SmboBeast
07-16-2015, 12:40 AM
lol got it....patience is the key. Will sit back down and shut it. :)