PDA

View Full Version : KODI - from a business stand point

Cd001111
07-05-2015, 12:49 AM
KODI is a great thing, so being open source and a free down load where does the money come from to keep it going and where does it go?

dara
07-05-2015, 01:08 AM
Donations...No one gets paid as a developer. The 'foundation' also sells t-shirts.

Kimbo
07-05-2015, 01:17 AM
Also box manufacturers and dealers donate and pay for websites.

Cd001111
07-05-2015, 01:49 AM
I develope software for a large UK auction house and granted they make lots of money and can pay great salaries, this is cutting edge stuff and it takes an unbelievable amount of coding & testing to get stuff working, I can't imagine donations & t shirt sales generating much, all I can say is God bless the developers.

I know this is off topic, the APPs from the Networks, can I assume if it's a Bravo App in some way Bravo has approved it or maybe developed it? They for sure as hell don't maintain it.

Marley
07-05-2015, 05:36 AM
wow it been free for many many yrs and what they do my hat is off to them then even had to say if you paid for this its free

crawlers1977
07-05-2015, 08:00 AM
their partner/supporter was android aka apple the media centre and apple have been side by side since the beginning only lately have they began to seperate android boxes with the media centre added by android is where the money comes from the same devs of the boxes are some among them from the media centre which hold shares people see xbmc/kodi a an open source stand alone media centre but in reality is a huge buisness thats just the media centre not talking about 3rd party addons their own addons are mainly added and require subs to use.

crawlers1977
07-05-2015, 08:13 AM
and just to point out pvr stalker middleware addon, you dont get to sit among the chosen few within the kodi approved addons unless your a donator or kodi feel that its a big benefit so those guys among the stalker team should be well proud