PDA

View Full Version : Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine metabolites, enters into drug-treatment facility

jetta
01-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine metabolites, enters into drug-treatment facility

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones tested positive for cocaine metabolites in out-of-competition testing prior to UFC 182, MMAFighting.com has learned.

A drug test on Dec. 4 showed benzoylecgonine in Jones' system, sources said. The substance, a cocaine metabolite, is not banned out of competition by WADA, which the Nevada Athletic Commission follows. Jones passed an out-of-competition test several days later, according sources. The results of Jones' in-competition test prior to UFC 182 have yet to be revealed, so as of right now, his unanimous decision victory over Daniel Cormier on Saturday in Las Vegas will be upheld. The results of the out-of-competition test could come up when Jones applies for a license again.

Jones announced Tuesday that he would be entering into a drug treatment facility, according to Yahoo.

"With the support of my family, I have entered into a drug treatment facility," Jones said in a statement to Yahoo. "I want to apologize to my fiancée, my children, as well as my mother, father, and brothers for the mistake that I made. I also want to apologize to the UFC, my coaches, my sponsors and equally important to my fans. I am taking this treatment program very seriously. Therefore, at this time my family and I would appreciate privacy."

Cormier, who was aware of the failed test when reached for comment, declined to speak about it at this time.

Jones defeated Daniel Cormier on Saturday night at MGM Grand in Las Vegas in a bout considered one of the biggest the UFC has promoted in years.

Jones, 27, is regarded as the best pound-for-pound MMA fighter in the world. The upstate New York native has a 21-1 record with his only loss coming via disqualification. He has defended his light heavyweight title eight times, a record for the weight class, and has won 12 straight UFC bouts.

Jones, who trains out of highly regarded Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA in Albuquerque, N.M., dominated Cormier in the fight after the second round. UFC president Dana White estimated UFC 182 produced more than 750,000 buys on pay-per-view, a high figure for the organization, especially in recent months.

The bout was fueled by a history of bad feelings between the two combatants. Jones and Cormier got into a brawl at a press event back in August and exchanged profanity and heated comments in subsequent interviews. Cormier, a former wrestling Olympian, came into the bout undefeated.

Jones was arrested in May 2012 on DUI charges in Binghamton, N.Y. He was sentenced to a fine of $1,000 and had his license suspended for six months later that year.

The UFC and White released statements Tuesday regarding Jones.

"We support UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones' decision to enter a drug treatment facility to address his recent issue," the UFC released. "While we are disappointed in the failed test, we applaud him for making this decision to enter a drug treatment facility. Jon is a strong, courageous fighter inside the Octagon, and we expect him to fight this issue with the same poise and diligence. We commend him on his decision, and look forward to him emerging from this program a better man as a result."

"I am proud of Jon Jones for making the decision to enter a drug treatment facility," White said. "I'm confident that he'll emerge from this program like the champion he truly is."

Jones' striking coach Brandon Gibson added this:

"I'm going to be there for him as a friend and help guide him through this challenging time. We are behind him 100 percent, as brothers, friends and coaches. This is bigger than any other challenger that we've faced before."

dara
01-07-2015, 12:27 AM
My first reaction... what an idiot. Seeing that it was out of competition, all I can say is clean up your act Bones Jones. Injury risk is so much higher when you dope up.