PDA

View Full Version : 2020/21 Tokyo Summer Olympics

crazed 9.6
07-29-2021, 08:31 AM
Well I tried to boycott these Summer Games by not watching them, due to the fact that there are no spectators allowed and the restrictions in place with it all. Including some of the 'politics' goings ons :(

BUT I could not holdout.
So ..... I have been watching the Olympics :)

FoxSports Channels and The Olympic Channel both carry the Games.
There will probably be other channels as well.
-NBC
-EuroSport
-Sportsnet
-TSN

There is not alot or any' big corp' sponsorship banners and other adverting seen while watching the Games.
Other then network TV commercials, the Games themselves do not carry any of that advertising to be seen.
Good on Tokyo to keep that as is.. ESPECIALLY with the lose of revenue thru these Games, you'd think they would have the big corps in there advertising like no tomorrow just to gain back some loses, but nope.
Good on Tokyo to hold that up.
It is sad to see the empty galleries thou.
There are some in the seats which would be sports journalists and the like, would be my guess.

The Olympics go back along way for me, way back to when I can first remember and that was back when there was only black and white TV :eek:
That was when the Soviet Union and USA and Germany were the top contenders at the Olympics. China was not even in the picture back then, which can not be said today.

My Dad and I would watch most every event in every Olympic year (Games of the Olympiad).
My favorite events are probably the downhill skiing and gymnastics.

The best Games or perhaps the earliest that I can remember was when Canada beat the Soviets in the Winter Games in the Hockey event (Summit Series).

C/P
' For many Canadians, the series between Team Canada and the national team of the Soviet Union in 1972 provided the greatest moment in the country’s sporting history. Most expected that Canada would handily defeat the Soviet Union, but this confidence quickly disappeared when Canada lost the first game. The series was tied heading into the final game in Moscow, which ended in a dramatic fashion, with Paul Henderson scoring in the final seconds to give Canada the victory. The series would have a lasting impact on hockey in Canada and abroad'.
end c/p
https://d3d0lqu00lnqvz.cloudfront.net/media/media/7e070d7b-a05a-4d77-bdbc-971d8422b2bd.jpg

Jesse Owens winning his 4 Golds was probably the best all-time moments at the Games.
I missed that one thou since I was not yet born :eek:

Jesse Owens wasn’t “supposed” to win. He was black and he was competing in track and field in 1936 Berlin. Hitler’s Germany saw Owens as a lesser athlete because of the color of his skin. Owens would go on to win four gold medals (in the 100 meters, 200 meters, long jump, and 4×100 relay). He won with conviction and with grace.

Some other notable Olympic moments....

Austrian Hermann Maier suffered a devastating crash in the downhill Skiing competition at the 1998 Nagano Games. Maier was back on the slopes days later to claim gold in two events: the super-G and giant slalom. Maier later overcame a life-threatening motorcycle crash (and extensive reconstructive surgery) before making his way to bronze and silver medals at the 2006 Turin Games.

When Canadian sailor Lawrence Lemieux began racing at the 1988 South Korea Olympics, he fully intended on playing to win. But when — amid dangerous winds — he noticed a competitor’s capsized boat, he disqualified himself, abandoning the race to help save the two injured sailors. After handing the competitors off to a rescue crew, he resumed the race and still beat out 11 of the other competitors (coming in 21st out of 32). While he didn’t win silver (which his original pace could have easily earned him), Lemieux was awarded an honorary medal for his heroic act.

The 1984 Games in Sarajevo, saw one British pair of Ice Dancers, Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean, in their performance that earned them perfect scores from every judge, as well as the gold medal.

Already a past World and Olympic Champion, Soviet weightlifter Vasily Alexeev didn’t have much to top at the 1976 Montreal Games — except for his own world records. The hulking Alexeev bested East Germany’s Gerd Bonk with ease, but with one lift left, the consummate showman wasn’t one to let the crowd down. He hoisted 562 pounds overhead with his final clean and jerk, smashing his previous record and establishing himself as one of the most revered Olympians of the 20th century.

The Ancient Greeks would’ve appreciated this feat. In the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, Michael Johnson took home two gold medals while crushing two world records along the way. First was the 400-meter race, where he whipped around the track in 43.49 seconds. With only a few days rest in between, Johnson came back to the track to take gold in the 200-meter sprint, becoming the first man to win both races in the same Olympic Games.

Olympics fans flipped out in 1984 when Mary Lou Retton became the first American — male or female — to win a gold medal in gymnastics. Just 16 at the time, Retton had only minimal experience competing internationally, but she received perfect 10s for her stunning performance on the vault.

Call him “The Phenomenon” or “The Fish,” Michael Phelps gave new meaning to blowing the competition out of the water at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. The American swimmer took home (count ’em!) eight gold medals, breaking Mark Spitz’s record of seven gold medals in one Olympics. And if our math is correct, counting his six golds from Athens and four more from London, he’s at 18 golds and 22 total medals over four career trips to the Olympics.

The most talked-about member of the historic “Magnificent Seven,” Kerri Strug’s heroic performance at the 1996 Olympic Games ensured the United States’ first-ever Team gold medal in Women’s Gymnastics. Despite injuring her ankle on her first vault attempt, Strug stuck the landing on her second go, helping the U.S. Women beat out Russia for the first time in Olympic history.

What’s better than three Olympic golds? Ask Usain Bolt. At the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the Jamaican sprinter broke the world and Olympic records in both the100-meter and 200-meter events. He also set a 4×100-meter relay record with the Jamaican team, making him the first man to win three sprinting events at a single Olympics since Carl Lewis in 1984.

Romanian gymnast Nadia Comaneci won three gold medals at the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal, and became the first female gymnast ever to be awarded a perfect 10 in an Olympic gymnastic event.

This story’s so inspirational it was made into a Disney movie! In the country’s first ever appearance at the winter Olympics, Jamaica’s Bobsled Team may have come out medal-less, but certainly won the hearts of Olympic viewers (and the media) at the 1988 Calgary games.

Ethiopian runner Abebe Bikila did the seemingly-impossible: He ran a marathon barefoot — and won.
Rome, 1960.

2020/21 Tokyo Olympic Games saw the Philippines earn their first-ever Olympic gold medal.
Hidilyn Diaz made history for earning her country’s first-ever Olympic gold medal in any sport, after winning the women’s 55-kg weightlifting event.

*all the above descriptions were C/P's from multiple sources.

crazed 9.6
07-29-2021, 01:21 PM
10 minutes ago the Woman's Gymnastics Individual All-Around events wrapped up.
This event saw the the Vault, the Uneven-Bars, the Balancing Beam, and the Floor Exercise.

After we saw 4 time world champion and 2016 Gold Medalist Simone Biles take herself out of competition this week, the lights shone on Sunisa Lee for America and she did not disappoint :)
I was on the edge of my seat when it came time for the last event in this competition, Sunisa's Floor Exercise.
She was last in line for this event other then Jade Carey who was not close enough to medal.
Sunisa needed the high score to win the Gold.

United States' Sunisa Lee wins gold in women’s gymnastics individual all-around.

Jade Carey who filled in for Biles, started out with a not so good performance on the Balancing Beam but ended well in the Floor Exercise.
Simone Biles stood with her team thru out the competition.

ADDED:
Aug 2 -- Jade Carey wins Gold in the Floor Exercise

The United States never won an Olympic individual all-around title until Mary Lou Retton’s breakthrough in 1984.
Suni Lee’s win today is the country’s fifth in a row.

Carly Patterson (2004)
Nastia Liukin (2008)
Gabby Douglas (2012)
Simone Biles (2016)
Sunisa Lee (2020)

Sunisa Lee pictured during Tokyo's Olympic Games
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.justjared.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F07%2Fsuni-gold%2Fsuni-lee-gold-medal-gymnastics-12.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Sunisa Lee’s continued Sunday when she took bronze in the uneven bars to make that 3 medals in Tokyo
She now has a Gold in All-Around, Silver in Team and Bronze in Bars at these Games.
She will compete Tuesday in the Balance Beam final.

4me2c
07-29-2021, 01:57 PM
Have not been watching so THANKS to crazed 9.6 for posting...! and Congratz to All the Individual Medal Winners, Proud of You...!!!

dara
07-29-2021, 06:53 PM
I watch, because some of the sports only get the spotlight every four years (in this case 5). I guess the big story has been Simone Biles dropping out of the all-round competitions. I think its was only disappointing in that we couldn't see the 'GOAT' in action, but her stepping aside let the other members rise to the occasion, and I'd rather not see her getting carried off in an ambulance because she wasn't into what she was doing. Some of the stories have been been compelling, like the Triathlete from Bermuda, and the Weightlifter from the Philippines, both women, winning the first ever gold medals for their countries. However, I won't watch Mens Basketball.

crazed 9.6
07-29-2021, 07:18 PM
I saw the Weightlifter from the Philippines,but missed the Triathlete from Bermuda... good on her too :)
Not seeing Biles at her best was disappointing, but as you say it is better then seeing her hurt. I see some media and social groups talking negative about the whole thing, but from my view Simone did what she needed to do, nothing more need said about it, at least not from those that do not have a clue in what they speak of :eek:

I watched the Table Tennis for Gold earlier. China was sure to win the Gold.
I meant that literally because in the final round there were two China team-mates competing against each other for the Gold... so China did win Gold :eek:

Tennis was going all day and the Woman's singles were playing for Gold.
The Kazakhstan Player had my vote .. I saw her beat Williams to win the French Open earlier last year or year before... she is good :)
But I fell asleep and missed the outcome. I will have to catch the replay :)

And yea, as far as B-ball.. is LeBron playing for China ?

Flora Duffy Wins Bermuda's First Ever Olympic Gold
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foreverbermuda.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F07%2FFlora-Duffy-Wins-Gold-At-Olympics-Bermuda-July-2021-4.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

4me2c
07-29-2021, 10:01 PM
Might bee watching some tonight as NBC Local Channel 6 has been airing it and tonight is Gymnastics(Women Style)...+...!!!

4me2c
07-30-2021, 12:20 AM
Watching the Floor Show Now... Those Gals are something else...!!! They are Girls not Women yet...!!

https://youtu.be/57q3kq4FP2o

crazed 9.6
07-30-2021, 02:20 PM
Watching the Floor Show Now... Those Gals are something else...!!! They are Girls not Women yet...!!

https://youtu.be/57q3kq4FP2o

Their youth is the winning factor me thinks...

In 1984 when Mary Lou Retton became the first American — male or female — to win a gold medal in gymnastics., she was just 16 years young at the time.

In 1996 Kerri Strug injured her ankle or sprained it on her first Vault attempt. The USA needed the best from her to gold medal in the event... and on her next attempt she delivered.
With an injured ankle and all, she made her next Vault and stuck that landing for Gold :eek:
She had to be carried to the podium as she could no longer walk on her injured ankle.
She was 18 years old at the time.

Simone Biles born in 1997, also has stellar portfolio starting at a young age.
She started at age 12 and took it seriously with a professional trainer by age 14
At the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Biles at age 18, won individual gold medals in all-around, vault, and floor; bronze in balance beam; and gold as part of the United States team.

Biles is also a five-time World all-around champion, five-time World floor exercise champion, three-time World balance beam champion, two-time World vault champion, a seven-time United States national all-around champion, and a member of the gold medal-winning American teams at the 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships.

Simone Biles pictured from the 2016 Olympic Games
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. WKo-9MjzwNhW8pYZgxRNsAHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
07-30-2021, 04:21 PM
Men's singles tennis.
The Serbia dude is killing it !!
Putting on a show is what the broadcaster just said.

Djokovic has got some shots , wow!
German competitor Zverev is in the game thou, he is keeping pace with Djokovic !

Alexander Zverev turns it around in the second set and comes back to defeat Djokovic ... wow !
What a match !
Zverev wins the match and goes on for gold final

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF. bHhgoY3EndXd5Ws8IY6lzg%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Djokovic looses his tennis match for the Bronze.

After getting the grand slam in tennis this year, the hopes were high for him to possibly Gold here at Tokyo and have a stellar year and the Golden Grand Slam !
But it was not to be :eek:

3 Opens = Grand Slam
4 Opens = Calendar Grand Slam
3 Opens and the Gold =

crazed 9.6
07-30-2021, 05:55 PM
up next is Men's tennis doubles for Gold!
It looks like Croatia will win the Gold, is my prediction.
'Cause it's two Croatia teams against each other for the Gold, one of them gotta win :)

crazed 9.6
07-30-2021, 07:29 PM
my Canadian guy was on it in the 10,000 M run.. until along come Ethiopia and Uganda ... wow can them guys run.
They took my Canadian on the last lap and left us in the dust on a 10 thousand meter run !!!
think about that.. on the last lap of a long distance run, these guys bumped it up and caught and left my Canadian dude in their dust.
That is extraordinary abilities right there !
wow !

Ethiopia's Selemon Barega won the first gold on the track, the men's 10,000m, ahead of Ugandan pair Joshua Cheptegei and Jacob Kiplimo.
Cheptegei is the world record holder at 5,000m and 10,000m

10,000 meter = 10 kilometer
10 kilometer = 6 mile

Trivia Question...
In track events, to be considered a finish, what part of the body must cross the finish line?

Answer...
Their trunk

dara
07-30-2021, 08:40 PM
USA-NED Womans Football (Soccer) came down to Penalties . Goaltender Alyssa Naeher saved 3 (one in regulation) and was the hero. (Rapinoe scored the clinching PK). Crazy game, the Dutch had the USA on the ropes, but here were two scores that were negated by offisdes by the Americans.

Next Monday its Canada-USA in the semi's. Canada also won on Penalties over Brazil, even after star Christine Sinclair missed the first one.

crazed 9.6
07-31-2021, 11:59 AM
I watched some of the Woman's Soccer/Football. I did not see the outcome thou, when I left it was a scoreless game into the 3rd quarter.

Canada is the only nation in the world to reach the podium at both London 2012 and Rio 2016 in women’s football.
The team is hoping to make history by getting back on the podium for a third consecutive time.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. EmOvxjfmtCfgTZ3trO5n2AHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

added:
Canada have beaten the USA by a single goal to secure their place in the women's Olympic football gold medal match on 5 August.
The Canadian team, bronze medalists at the last two Olympic Games, converted a penalty to beat favorites the USA.

Trivia Question...
What is the minimum numbers of players a team must have on the pitch?

Answer...
A match cannot continue if a team has fewer than seven players as a result of multiple red cards or injuries. However, this rule has never been applied in an Olympic Football match.

crazed 9.6
07-31-2021, 02:13 PM
Fares El-Bakh from Qatar, set a new Olympic record (with a points total of 402) in a dominant performance to win Gold in the men's 96kg Weightlifting final.
This will be Qatar's very first Olympic medal.

177kg in the Snatch and in the Clean and Jerk he set an Olympic record in that lift with a weight of 225kg
It was one of two Olympic records he broke on the night.

He attempted a world record 232kg clean and jerk but wasn't able to make the lift.

177kg = 390lbs
225kg = 496lbs
232kg = 511lbs

IN THE WATER
Team USA’s Caeleb Dressel has won his third gold medal of the Tokyo 2020 Games with a world record in 100m butterfly.
The 24-year-old American won in a world record time of 49.45, shaving 0.05 seconds of his previous record.
Great Britain swam to victory - and a new world record - in the debut Olympic mixed 4x100m medley relay final.
Caeleb Dressel finishes his Olympic appearance with 5 Gold Medals.

ON THE GRASS
After the first three days of play, Xander Schauffele of the United States leads the field going into the final round after shooting a three-under 68 to move to 14-under overall.
Masters champion and local hero MATSUYAMA Hideki is still in the hunt in second place, just one stroke behind Schauffele. Great Britain’s Paul Casey and Carlos Ortiz of Mexico are tied for third on 12-under.

Xander Schauffele has been crowned the new Olympic champion with Gold medal Sunday morning Tokyo time. .
Schauffele of the United States has won the Olympic men's individual stroke play in Golf competition.
After four rounds of action Schauffele finished at -18 for the Gold.
Slovakia's Rory Sabbatini ending the final round at -17 for the Silver.
There will be a seven-way playoff for the Bronze medal, with Ireland's Rory McIlroy, Japan's MATSUYAMA Hideki and Great Britain's Paul Casey still in the mix.

Trivia Question...
What happens if a player mistakenly hits another player's ball as his or her own?

Answer...
He or she must take a penalty of two strokes and repeat their stroke with the correct ball. The player whose ball was improperly played returns their ball to the location where the incident occurred.

crazed 9.6
07-31-2021, 02:30 PM
The Jamaican women sweep the podium (again) :)
Elaine Thompson-Herah wins Gold in the 100m run (again) :)

This is her second consecutive Olympic gold medal.
The Jamaican sprint queen did it in style, beating a quality field – including two-time Olympic champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce – racing to victory in an Olympic record time of 10.61 seconds.

Only 1988 Olympic champion Florence Griffith-Joyner has run faster with her world record of 10.49 set in the U.S. Olympic trials for the Seoul Games.

The Jamaican women sweep of the podium at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics is their second time doing this feat, with the first time at Beijing 2008

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimage.vietnamnews.vn%2Fuploadvnnew s%2FArticle%2F2016%2F8%2F31%2Fp27431101134AM.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

4me2c
07-31-2021, 06:04 PM
Something Fishy about that pic...

Ryu
07-31-2021, 06:33 PM

you are looking too deep :cool:

big mac
07-31-2021, 10:48 PM

Is it because they were all wearing green shorts?

4me2c
08-01-2021, 02:15 AM
Compare her size with the ones in Post #13...!!!

big mac
08-01-2021, 03:28 AM
Compare her size with the ones in Post #13...!!!

You've lost me.They are not the same woman.Different countries and different skin colour.
Compare what?:rolleyes:

crazed 9.6
08-01-2021, 09:38 AM
I am lost as well about this 'fishy' thing :eek:
I thought it was because the photo of Elaine Thompson-Herah of Jamaica is a photo from the Rio Olympics of 2016.
Then I thought it was because the soccer players photo may not even be photo from an Olympic event.
I am not sure thou.... but I do not see an Olympic emblem on their jerseys :eek:

Canadian Swimmer 21 year-old Penny Oleksiak won her 7th Olympic medal Saturday.
In her two Olympic appearances she has accumulated 7 medals in total (4 in Rio and 3 in Tokyo), making her Canada's most decorated Olympic Champion of all-time.

Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen held the previous record for Canadian Olympians with six medals apiece.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. zQN6eddpVXfnQF7QH1F-KAHaFJ%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Trivia Question...
What stroke is the origin of the Butterfly ?

Answer...
The Breaststroke.
Melbourne 1956 was the first Olympic Games where Butterfly was a separate competition.

4me2c
08-01-2021, 12:52 PM
Never-mind as the Pic in Post #13 has been changed...!!! anyway, there are more muscles on a Sprinter than on a Swimmer...?!?

crazed 9.6
08-01-2021, 04:58 PM
Never-mind as the Pic in Post #13 has been changed...!!! anyway, there are more muscles on a Sprinter than on a Swimmer...?!?

That's not just any Sprinter. That's Elaine Thompson-Herah :)
The fastest woman in the World at 100m

Elaine Thompson-Herah goes on and wins the Gold in the 200m as well.
The second fastest woman in the World at this event, just 0.19 short of the world record set by Florence Griffith-Joyner at the Seoul 1988 Olympic Games.

Thompson-Herah is the undisputed champion in the Sprints, becoming the first woman to win the 100-200m double Gold at 2 consecutive Olympics.

Her she is in the 'green shorts' which places her in Tokyo

Is it because they were all wearing green shorts?

Both her team-mates are there too.... the 3 of them medal with Gold, Silver, Bronze.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF. xOkYuoWVsaAwbBewPdTsxA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

In another pic I have seen, it can better be seen the third Jamaican team-mate shown just behind Thompson-Herah in the photo

crazed 9.6
08-01-2021, 08:03 PM
Men's final 100M is about to go !!
These guys are pumped !
We have a Canadian in the final :)

channel = Eurosport1

The Great Britain dude jumped the gun and disqualified :eek:

On the restart...
Italian Olympiad Jacobs wins with a time of 9.80 !!!
USA gets second.
Canadian runner De Grasse is on the podium as well, with a third place :)

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF. AmGnfNBjDRSdEt0fFqJbAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
08-02-2021, 11:03 AM
Simone Biles, the 24-year-old champion had withdrawn from four medal rounds earlier in the Tokyo Games to focus on her mental health.
Simone Biles will compete in Tuesday's (3 August) women's balance beam final, USA Gymnastics confirmed Monday (2 August). The balance beam final is the last medal round for women's artistic gymnastics at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
"We are so excited to confirm that you will see two U.S. athletes in the balance beam final tomorrow - Suni Lee AND Simone Biles!!"

Canada Woman's soccer team beats USA for the first time in 2 decades and will go to the Final for Gold or Silver.
USA will play for Bronze.
The final will be played against either Sweden or Australia, who meet this evening (Tokyo time).

Sweden have done it! They hang on to the one-goal advantage to advance to their second successive Olympic final with a 1-0 victory over Australia.
Sweden will play Canada in the Gold medal match on Friday.
Australia face the USA in the Bronze medal match - the first time Australia's Womans team will compete for an Olympic women's football medal.
USA wins Bronze.

After a poor showing replacing Biles in the All-Around competitions last week and then in her Vault on Monday , Jade Carey stepped it up and won Gold in the Floor Exercise !!
There were 4 medals won in this Floor Exercise event, yup 4 of them. There was a tie for Bronze.

Gold - Jade Carey USA
Silver - Vanessa Ferrari of Italy
Bronze - Murakami Mai of Japan
Bronze - Angelina Melnikova of ROC

This will be Italy's Vanessa Ferrari's first Olympic medal in her 4 Olympic appearances.
The last time Japan won an Olympic medal in a female gymnastics event was at the Tokyo Olympic Games 1964, in the Team events.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF. %252bjoXqKxwQ1dGDxxPyog1rw%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
08-02-2021, 01:27 PM
An icon of the sport.
One of the greatest wrestlers in Olympic history has just won his fourth gold medal in a row at his fifth Games.
Mijan Lopez of Cuba has defeated Iakobi Kajaia to claim the gold in what is his last Olympic Games.
Before his run at the four Golds, Lopez also Silvered at Athens 2004

pictured at Rio 2016
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. ImLWLwxUyk54evf1Q34NqwHaD4%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Trivia Question...
How big is the mat used in Wrestling ?

Answer...
The competition is held on a circular mat at 9 meters in diameter.

crazed 9.6
08-02-2021, 02:35 PM
Apple Pie and Baseball ... seems easy enough... but...
Talk about complicated !

Japan beat USA's baseball team today and Japan advances to play Republic of Korea in the semi-finals.
*Incidentally, this is the first time since the Atlanta 1996 semi-finals that Japan has beaten USA in Olympic baseball.
But even if Japan looses to Korea, they get to play a second semi-final for another shot at the gold medal match :eek:
The USA team will play the winner of an elimination game between Dominican Republic and Israel.
The loser of that match will advance to the bronze-medal game, while the winner plays in the second semi-final.
So the U.S. still has a shot at gold.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. a6nYA01v9BJJLQZr_B4bYQHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1

The Dominican Republic have beaten Israel 7–6 in the bottom of the 9th inning, to set up a clash tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday) with the USA and guarantee at least an appearance in the Bronze medal game.
Israel are eliminated.

USA beat Dominican Republic and will go on to a second semi-finals against the looser between Japan and Korea.

Japan beat Republic of Korea.

Japan will be in the final .
Korea will play USA to decide which one of them will be in the final with Japan and for the Gold.

Trivia Question...
Which Japanese poet translated the language of Baseball into Japanese ?

Answer...
Shiki Masaoka, who promoted the sport after its introduction to Japan from the United States.
You can find a baseball field dedicated to Masaoka in Tokyo's Ueno Park.

crazed 9.6
08-02-2021, 08:25 PM
Simply the best !
Sifan Hassan, the Ethiopian-born 28-year-old who now competes for the Netherlands.

Hassan scored two victories Monday (Tokyo time).
Her gold-medal run in the women’s 5,000 meters.
That medal coming 11 hours after her 1500-meter heat.
She had a scary fall on the final lap of the 1500m race. After tripping up over a fallen opponent on the last lap and doing half a barrel roll, Hassan picked herself up off the turf and moved from the back of the pack to the front and wins the race.
All she needed to advance was a top-six finish.

Hassan later said all she could think of that she wanted no excuses and the fall would not be one...and that went for her fallen opponent too, Hassan knew it was not her fault and Hassan did not want her in a bad way thinking it was her fault if Hassan did not do well after causing her fall.
What better way then to win the race!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF. Qkz8o2VX8HZzXU2RjQuFzw%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Hassan is in the mix for three medals — in the 1500m and the 5,000m (gold) and the 10,000m.

Sifan Hassan has won gold in the women's 10,000m

crazed 9.6
08-03-2021, 09:47 AM
Woman's Track Cycling
Germany defeated the two-time defending Olympic champions Great Britain in a new world record to win Gold in Team Pursuit
Team USA defeats Canada and claims Bronze.

Men's Track Cycling was no different when it came to breaking records. It seemed that every time a new heat started, records were broken :eek:
A crash ended one team's hopes.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. oMK_jSQtVrVJ_roDIp0JJQHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

There are 6 events in Track Cycling (for both men and women)

-Team Sprint
-Sprint
-Keirin
-Team Pursuit
-Omnium
-Madison

The video coded below explains the rules of the different events.
Its a pretty good video with it's explanations, but not all events match with the events at 2020 Tokyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmMHEEOrzWU

Trivia Question...
Why do the bicycles used in track events have no brakes?

Answer...
Because using brakes cause accidents. Considering how close these cyclists are to each other and at top speeds, using the brakes would be catastrophic for anyone behind.

crazed 9.6
08-03-2021, 10:39 AM
Men's 400m Hurdles
Kevin Young's Olympic record fell to the gold medal favorite and world record holder Karsten Warholm of Norway.

Warholm starts very, very quickly. Maybe too quick , can he keep that pace ??!!
With Warholm fading down the final stretch Rai Benjamin of USA was catching him!
But Warholm finds something extra and he goes on to win and smashed the world record with a time of 45.94 !!

Silver to Rai Benjamin with a time that also beat the old world record - 46.17
Bronze to Alison dos Santos of Brazil

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF. NxvLtGLNaUIZwlqVg171Kw%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
08-03-2021, 11:16 AM
Simone Biles has won Bronze in the women's balance beam final.
It was the seventh Olympic medal for Biles, tying her with Shannon Miller for the most ever for an American gymnast.

Guan Chenchen of China wins Gold.
Guan is 16 years old.

"I didn't expect a medal today, I just wanted to go out there for me and that's what I did," Biles told reporters after receiving the bronze.
Teammate Suni Lee placed fifth after nearly losing her balance during her routine.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF. DqPPfRKkUUdLDloMesNUpw%26pid%3DApi&f=1

4me2c
08-03-2021, 12:16 PM
"I didn't expect a medal today, I just wanted to go out there for me and that's what I did," Biles told reporters after receiving the bronze.

crazed 9.6
08-03-2021, 12:19 PM

It was 4 you :)

Is there something you are not telling us 4me2c ?

crazed 9.6
08-03-2021, 01:56 PM
It's Hammer Time !!
Anita Wlodarczyk of Poland wins Gold again (and again).

Wlodarczyk's throw of 78.48m is good for the Gold medal in the Women's Hammer.
This is her 3rd straight Gold in this event.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. R4qZJVb4m4uL1uzQkP0nLwHaFU%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Men's Hammer Throw
Poland's Wojciech Nowicki wins Gold
Nowicki's throw of 82.52m came on his third attempt to win the Gold.

Elvind Henriksen (NOR) set a new national record in winning Silver with an 81.58 throw on his fifth attempt.
Pawel Fajdek (POL) – a four-time world champion – recorded 81.53 for Bronze.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid% 3DOIP.7MqllkWR2x5pay7509YBxAHaDN%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Trivia...
Throwing heavy objects has been a sport in the British Isles for thousands of years. The modern version of the Hammer Throw, with a heavy ball attached to a chain, originated with the Scottish Highland Games which precede the modern Olympic Games.
In the year 2000 women were first allowed to compete for a Gold medal for the Hammer Throw.

4me2c
08-03-2021, 02:49 PM
It was 4 you :)

Is there something you are not telling us 4me2c ?

Yep, 4me is Old School as in "Ask Not what Your Country can do For You but Ask, What can I Do for My Country"...!!!

she made it all about her and the hell with the USA...!!!

crazed 9.6
08-03-2021, 03:30 PM
Yep, 4me is Old School as in "Ask Not what Your Country can do For You but Ask, What can I Do for My Country"...!!!

she made it all about her and the hell with the USA...!!!

I did not see it like that 4me

There have been some bad actors in these Olympics.
The only reason I can enjoy these Olympics is because I have ignored the woke of it all...Even before it started there were people fired due to things they said , (things they said and not done), things they said as far back as when they were in grade school. That is pathetic too,,, but I take no interest in any of that, Nope.
If I did then I would not be able to enjoy these Olympics.

Simone Biles in my view was only protecting herself and not disrespecting her country or her team.

You have to see a picture of that jacket that she immediately put on after the event. And I just happen to have one.
She has at least two of these Jackets, with one not having the USA emblems on the sleeves or the back. Only the patch on the front.
The one she wore after her Bronze event and to the podium did have those emblems and patches.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF. FtIoDS1xc8YzM%252bxmk%252fHzxg%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
08-03-2021, 09:55 PM
In Tokyo right now it is 06:45 am, Wednesday Aug 4th
The Women's 10km open water race should be underway right about now.
Haley Anderson of team USA has a good chance at a medal in this event, perhaps Gold.

That is a long swim @ 10 km or 6 miles !!
An average time would be about 3hrs 45mins, with faster times in Tokyo to be sure.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid% 3DOIP.9igNAWJe5uOOzXwe1XAgaAHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

dara
08-03-2021, 11:08 PM
Men's 400m Hurdles
Kevin Young's Olympic record fell to the gold medal favorite and world record holder Karsten Warholm of Norway.

Warholm starts very, very quickly. Maybe too quick , can he keep that pace ??!!
With Warholm fading down the final stretch Rai Benjamin of USA was catching him!
But Warholm finds something extra and he goes on to win and smashed the world record with a time of 45.94 !!

Silver to Rai Benjamin with a time that also beat the old world record - 46.17
Bronze to Alison dos Santos of Brazil

This was a great race, and the world record was broken by .75 sec! Benjamin was under the old WR as well/

big mac
08-03-2021, 11:58 PM
This was a great race, and the world record was broken by .75 sec! Benjamin was under the old WR as well/

I must use a different math than you because to me the record was broken by 0.23.

crazed 9.6
08-04-2021, 12:47 PM
Kevin Young's previous Olympic Record (OR) of 46.78 seconds was set in Barcelona 1992 and was also the World Record (WR) record at the time.

Karsten Warholm then beat that WR just one month ago (June 2021) at 46.70 seconds.
This last Tuesday (Tokyo time), Warholm set a time of 45.94 to break his own WR record by 0.76 seconds and as well sets the Olympic Record.

Rai Benjamin time was 46.17 which beat Warholm's previous record by 0.53 seconds.

Sydney McLaughlin wins gold for US and sets world record in Women's 400-meter hurdles.
McLaughlin broke the world record. Dalilah Muhammad broke it, too.

McLaughlin came from behind after the last hurdle to top the defending Olympic champion with a WR and OR time of 51.46 seconds.
Muhammad’s time of 51.58 also beat McLaughlin’s old record of 51.9, set at Olympic trials in June.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF. RnbGZdieMP1C36udTfh1Hw%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
08-04-2021, 12:57 PM
The Men's 200m track event is coming up live in just a few minutes, they are getting setup on the track now.
Two Canadians are in this one with Degrasse expected to medal :)

And there it is !
The Canadian Andre de Grasse sets a Canadian record with a time of 19.62 seconds and takes the Olympic Gold !

The last time a Canadian took Gold in the 200m Sprint Race was way back in 1928 :eek:

Andre pictured below with previous champion Usain Bolt at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
DeGrasse won Silver and Bolt won Gold at Rio in the 200m

Usain Bolt has been the Olympic raining champion in this event and other track events since 2004
Bolt was not competing at Tokyo.

I love this picture with Bolt's Gold run and Degrasse's Silver run @ Rio
Bolt is wagging his finger in a friendly gesture at DeGrasse, as if saying "No, No, No, not yet my friend"
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. dZIZC_F4HF3GRyhsYqordQHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
08-04-2021, 02:24 PM
I have been editing previous posts on this thread with updated reports, then that way the event reports are all on same post (mostly)... But I am creating a new one for the finals in the weightlifting top class.

These are the big boys, in their weight-class @ +109Kg (+240lbs).

Lasha Talakhadze of Team Georgia, takes weightlifting Gold with three world records.
The Georgian won the snatch and a World Record.
Then won the clean and jerk and another WR.
Which then resulted in another World Record of the total of 488kg for the two lifts.
This guy has not been beat in competition since I think maybe ever !

The Silver medalists Iranian Ali Davoudi had a total of 441kg for the two lifts.

Remember the Soviet Vasily Alexeev from 1976 Montreal Games, rest his soul , the famous Olympic footage we still see every now and again ?

-Vasily Alexeev completed the Clean and Jerk for a World Record in 1976

-Lasha Talakhadze completed the Clean and Jerk for a World Record in 2021

Lasha Talakhadze's
223 kg = 491.6 lbs - snatch
265 kg = 584.2 lbs - clean & jerk

Ali Davoudi's
200 kg = 440.9 lbs - snatch
241 kg = 531.3 lbs - clean & jerk

Vasily Alexeev's
255 kg = 562.2 lbs - clean & jerk

Lasha Talakhadze 2016 Rio
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. 8aPqykjue6ZPYQDhoLWN7QHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Vasily Alexeev 1976 Montreal
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. 58rEeSoQpa39aIjgCyNqcAHaDw%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
08-04-2021, 03:38 PM
In Tokyo right now it is 06:45 am, Wednesday Aug 4th
The Women's 10km open water race should be underway right about now.
Haley Anderson of team USA has a chance at a medal in this event, perhaps Gold.

That is a long swim @ 10 km or 6 miles !!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid% 3DOIP.9igNAWJe5uOOzXwe1XAgaAHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

With two laps remaining at Odaiba Marine Park, camera crews had a great shot of the pack of leaders and then, out of nowhere, a fish flew from the water and soared through the air just ahead of the swimmers.
It's unclear at this time what kind of fish it was, but it did lead the seven-lap race for a short time.

Brazil's Ana Marcela Cunha won the Gold medal with a swim of 1 hour, 59 minutes, 30.8 seconds
Sharon van Rouwendaal of The Netherlands defending Olympian Gold won the Silver medal
Australia's Kareena Lee won the Bronze

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. accykf_KHYC5xtMDw-zZ0AHaEd%26pid%3DApi&f=1

The men's and women's marathon swimming are the final swimming events of this year's Olympics.

crazed 9.6
08-04-2021, 05:25 PM
How old do you have to be to become an Olympian ?

I do not know if there is an age limit, but in two different Skateboarding events (Street and Park), we saw some very young aged Olympians...

At 13 years old Nishiya Momiji wins Gold in woman's Street event.
At 12 years old Kokona Kiraki wins Silver in woman's Park event.
At 13 years old Sky Brown wins Bronze in woman's Park event.

This is the sport's Olympic debut at Tokyo, Japan.
There are two events in this sport - Street Skate & Park Skate.

Yosozumi Sakura at 19 years old of Japan won Gold in the Women's Park.
Kokona Hiraki at just 12 years old of Japan won Silver in the Women's Park.
Yuto Horigome at 22 years old of Japan won Gold in Men's Street.
Nishiya Momiji at 13-years old of Japan won Gold in Women's Street.

Nishiya Momiji pictured at Tokyo 2021
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. oHg5az-zkQRLhWRpzZCoJAHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Sky Brown at 13-years old of Great Britain won Bronze in Women's Park
Brown is Britain's youngest ever Olympian medalist.
Sky tried a very difficult trick and had failed twice at it on her first two attempts. But on her third and final attempt Sky Brown nailed it for her Bronze win.

Sky Brown pictured from 2019 stock photo
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. TbnHNTMo6sjDSXrqtDjwBgHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

dara
08-04-2021, 11:50 PM
Watching the Olympics without fans in the seats is unsettling, just imagining what it feels for athletes who are used to the the crowds. Imagine running a sprint and all you can hear are heavy breathing and fast feet, must be surreal. On the other hand, its probably easier to keep focus on the task at hand.

I hope this isn't spoiling, but nice 200m win by Canada's Andre de Grasse, just ahead of the 3 Americans (one the World Champ), and his team mate.

As far as Simone Biles saying that she did it for herself, I heard the interview, and it was in the context of making a breakthrough of the 'twisties' issue she had. I could barely do a simple somersault on a trampoline back during college in phys ed class, and she couldn't sync what she was her body was supposed to do with her brain, which is way beyond my ability to comprehend. It had nothing to do with her desire to complete, otherwise she wouldn't have been out there cheering her teammates on.

crazed 9.6
08-05-2021, 12:27 AM
I hope this isn't spoiling, but nice 200m win by Canada's Andre de Grasse, just ahead of the 3 Americans (one the World Champ), and his team mate.

caught it live :)

crazed 9.6
08-05-2021, 12:57 PM
Women's 10m Platform Diving
Quan Hongchan of China scores perfect tens.

In an Olympic diving competition for the ages, at 14 years old Hongchan wins Gold with three perfect scores !
Chen Yuxi of China goes Silver.
Melissa Wu of Australia goes Bronze.

Hansle Parchment of Jamaica wins Gold in the Men's 110m Hurdles.
Grant Holloway of USA Silvers.
Ronald Levy of Jamaica wins Bronze.

Coming up to the last 2 hurdles, Parchment caught and past the strong favorite Grant Holloway - USA's world champion and second-fastest man ever in this event.
The 31-year-old Parchment, who came second in the 2015 world championships in Beijing and third at London 2012 now has the Gold :)

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid% 3DOIF.r6ksLPWtS3QNM3wrkOM7UQ%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Nafissatou Thiam of Belgium wins Gold in the Woman's Olympic Heptathlon
Thiam also won Gold at Rio in the Heptathlon

The woman's heptathlon consists of:
-Day one: 100m Hurdles, High Jump, Shot Put, 200m Sprint.
-Day two: Long Jump, Javelin, 800m Run.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. kxoQAo7sW-xutfMsIiATowHaE4%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
08-05-2021, 06:29 PM
Sprinters, hurdlers and other runners at the Tokyo Olympics have been crushing their previous times and in many cases setting new records for their events.
Records, as they say, are made to be broken. But are these athletes getting a boost from the track itself?

"I would say it's a pretty fast track," said American hurdler Sydney McLaughlin, minutes after she smashed her world record.

"Of all the tracks that I've run on, that track feels amazing," said Kyron McMaster of the British Virgin Islands, who placed fourth in the men's 400-meter hurdles. "I felt like my legs were just turning over. It felt like no surface was there."

That the Tokyo track feels "fast" is no accident.
The Italian company that created it, Mondo, has been working to improve running surfaces since it built its first Olympic track for the Montreal Games in 1976.
The red and black track that Mondo constructed for the Tokyo Games is "the most technologically advanced athletic track in the world," with the goal of "taking human speeds to levels never reached before," the company said.

end c/p
npr.org
Merrit Kennedy
Joe Hernandez

full story

https://www.npr.org/sections/tokyo-olympics-live-updates/2021/08/04/1024774505/olympic-runners-are-fast-on-tokyos-fast-track-theyre-shattering-world-records

dara
08-06-2021, 03:20 AM
Damien Warner of Canada is the Worlds Greatest Athlete, winning the Decathlon with an Olympic Record, breaking the 9000 pt barrier. His long jump would have won the Bronze.

crazed 9.6
08-06-2021, 12:34 PM
Damien Warner of Canada is the Worlds Greatest Athlete, winning the Decathlon with an Olympic Record, breaking the 9000 pt barrier. His long jump would have won the Bronze.

Awesome !!
I been catching most of these events, (my favorites at the least), but I missed that one .... and it is a heck of an achievement :wow:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF. xRtcExUbpHSsYGd43Bq2Ow%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Woman's soccer Final is just underway (live).
Canada vs Sweden
BUT I can't find it on any channel :(

I found it n Eurosports2 :)
1-1 score in the 2nd !!

After 90 minutes we are still tied at 1-1 and into the first Extra Time.
After 105 minutes we are still tied at 1-1 and into the second Extra Time.

Canada takes Silver in the 5000m Track race, just behind Uganda at the finish.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. A6b4J9yuw0jRwH28-TSDbQHaEL%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
08-06-2021, 01:08 PM
Woman's Golf
Nelly Korda of USA is leading going into today's final round.

Woman's Track
Allyson Felix now has the most Olympic medals ever for a female track athlete, passing the record set by Jamaican athlete Merlene Ottey.
Allyson Felix of the USA is the most decorated Track and Field USA Olympian of all time, tied with Carl Lewis.
Allyson at age 45, has 10 medals in total over her 20 odd years at these events.
This is Felix's 5th Olympics and her 10th medal. She first competed in Athens in 2004 and has medaled in every Summer Games since then.

In the 400m yesterday, Allyson takes the Bronze,
She nor anyone else had a fighting chance for the win against Bahamas' Shaunae Miller-Uibo who powered past everyone on the home stretch to take the Gold.
Shaunae Miller-Uibo is the defending Olympic Gold champion in the 400m , winning the gold in Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020/21

pictured overtaking Felix in Tokyo
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. 2cis6evMSJvv4xaCnmuhrQHaEE%26pid%3DApi&f=1

crazed 9.6
08-06-2021, 02:38 PM
Woman's soccer Final is just underway (live).
Canada vs Sweden
BUT I can't find it on any channel :(

I found it n Eurosports2 :)
1-1 score in the 2nd !!

After 90 minutes we are still tied at 1-1 and into the first Extra Time.
After 105 minutes we are still tied at 1-1 and into the second Extra Time.

We are now @ 120 minutes with the score @ 1-1
Sweden had the only real chances at a goal in the first two 15 minute extra times.
From a corner kick, Sweden almost had it with a header, but went just shy of the net :eek:

So now it looks like we go to a Kick Off ??
I think :eek:

6 Shot Playoff

Sweden kicks first but misses.
Canada scores on their first kick but then falls behind and miss their next 3 kicks, while Sweden scores twice to go ahead by one..
After 5 shots each, Canada had tied it @ 2-2
One shot left for each team.

Canada wins the Playoff 3-2

and....

Gold !

dara
08-07-2021, 06:17 PM
USA's Molly Seidel got the Bronze in only her third official Marathon, making her the third woman to win a medal for the USA in that discipline. She said on her Facetime with her family... "I'm so tired. Please drink a beer for me". Awesome.

USA men failed to have an individual gold medal in the track events this Olympics, making this the first time (other than the 1980 boycott) and failed to make the cut after the first heat of the 4x100. The only male to get a Gold medal in Track and Field was the Shot Putter. However, the USA women did great in track. Both the Men and Women dominated the 4x400 relay, and won gold, Allyson Felix ran the 2nd leg of the race, with Gold medalists Sydney Mcglaughlin and Athing Mu, and Silver medalist Delilah Muhammad, earning Allyson her 11th Athletics medal, passing Carl Lewis. What a great career, she can now be a mommy activist.

I did watch the Mens Basketball, where the USA got the gold medal, glad they got it, but it was a harder road for them than usual, losing to Nigeria before the games, then to the future Silver medalists France who had 5 NBA players. It was close at the end, but Kevin Durant put the team on his back and carried them to the win.

Finally, the USA should catch up with China on the gold count, just down by 2, and are leading by a wide margin on overall medals. I was hoping to see 5 gold medals for Simone Biles, but oh well. Japan did great on its medal counts too.

4me2c
08-07-2021, 07:29 PM
Basketball, in the Olympics allowing, Pro Players in, is one Reason, 4me doesn't really care about it anymore...!!!

dara
08-08-2021, 01:51 PM
Its over, USA finishes as the country with most Gold and most Medals. I like the Olympics, but it is far from the 'amateur' games of 1896. I watch for the entertainment, the athletes are there for the participation, some do it for themselves and some idealistically for their country. Maybe the major professional team sports don't need the Olympics, but many top athletes don't compete on teams and need a venue to perform, and I think they should get financial rewards for their performance... nothing is free. Anyway, there is only 3 years to go to the next scheduled Summer games, and only a year to the next Winter games.

crazed 9.6
08-08-2021, 02:16 PM
I missed most events in the last two days due to my work hours :(
But did see that our Canadian Team picked Damien Warner to hoist the flag in the closing ceremonies, awesome !!

Hearing about Allyson Felix winning her 11th medal to bump past Carl Lewis is also awesome :)

I don't know about those that did not win medals, but them medal winning Olympians will be very, very well off with endorsements and all that stuff. You could say they will not have any money worries the rest of their lives.
It would be great to see all the Olympians benefit the same, and maybe they do in a smaller way.

Honestly ,I had to work hard to enjoy the Olympics as I have in the past years.
I found out after the finals in the Can vs Sweden woman's soccer match, that there is a player on the woman's soccer team who is transgender. I do have issues with that, but I will not get into it here.
But what really caught my attention and sadden me was the fact that this woman (who is a former male) had played on the team in the last Olympics and before then and since then too (winning medals and tournaments along the way), and it was hidden that she was trans-gender. No one knew and the Team kept it that way for a few years, to me that is foul play :(

I probably should not have brought that up, but I have been confused and sad and angry about the whole thing since I found out :(

But as I have said thru out, I choose to ignore the politics and all that mess, or I would not have enjoyed the games.
I do not know how I will be able to enjoy or even watch the 2022 Winter Games thou, as they are being held in Beijing, China :eek:

Basketball, in the Olympics allowing, Pro Players in, is one Reason, 4me doesn't really care about it anymore...!!!
Back when the 'Dream Team' with Magic, Byrd, Johnson and others were in the Olympics I was hooping mad about it. They beat one team something like 350 points to 3 or some stupid thing like that.... boooooo!!!

Congrads to Tokyo as well. They did a good job despite all the hurdles.
I am miffed that there were no spectators, even the fact that they have the authority to stop people from viewing the Games in person, but i got over it.
I say good job on Tokyo mostly because they did not have any corporate advertising in our faces. And with the circumstances I did expect to seee that . Tokyo must have lost huge revenue over the whole thing and I thought they'd try making some back with corporate sponsors and if that happened I defiantly would not have watched them.
To bump spectators and have corporate advertising everywhere would have been just too much for me to handle.
But Tokyo did not do that ... good on them :)

dara
08-08-2021, 03:08 PM
I heard about the transgender person. Most of the wiki entry about Quinn seems to be scrubbed of birth data, but Quinn's birth name was Rebecca Quinn, and rules allow "them" to compete with their birth sex. I'm so confused about this situation, I think Quinn was born female, got confused because identifying as male didn't work, so now is non-binary, and wants to be referred to as "They". I perfer ... "whatever, you were born female".

Genetics are the biggest factor in athletic performance, in my opinion, and someone that is biologically male will have an edge athletically over a biologically female at the same competitive level. Other than a ban, maybe the solution is some sort of handicap, like they do with racehorses or golf, to make things more equal, and to show the same sex organs of their team mates. Messing with Nature is 'un-natural' tough.

crazed 9.6
08-08-2021, 03:26 PM
I thought I was confused before, now I am more confused ,,, but agreed here.
Its crazy really.
If you take a sport like Weightlifting then in my view its a no-brainer that it needs to be woman competing against woman, and men against men. The in-between or not specified genders should not be allowed. Its a brute strength sport. Man is a man and woman is a woman, and it is not fair to include 'extras'
Then take a sport like a team sport and the line gets hazier because its a team sport with obvious differences from weightlifting. But its still not a fair playing field :(
(pun intended).

But it does not matter what I think thou, because Olympic committee allowed the transgender weightlifter to compete with the woman.

As my confusion sets in just a bit more :eek: