PDA

View Full Version : 11 Year Old Computer

cap wor
04-02-2021, 04:38 PM
My computer is 11 years old and still running Windows 7, can anyone suggest a new computer configuration using a tower. I'm not too keen on laptops. Gaming is something but not everything. Keep the computer lingo easy to understand, I'm not up on all the terminology. Building one is an option.

Ryu
04-03-2021, 12:55 AM
if your 11 year old is decent then just switch hard drive to SSD and check the result :)
you will be surprised but yeah if you have money to buy new one then custom is the best way to go. :)

dara
04-03-2021, 04:57 PM
At a certain point it just makes more sense to move on to a newer version of Windows, as Windows 7 is no longer supported for security updates. I see no reason to just stay at windows 7 now, unless you have a program that absolutely won't run in Windows 10 and you don't want to find a better program. Ryu is right, a SSD may surprise you on how much quicker your system will be on startup and running, but adding memory will also help. If you go new, you probably can triple your system performance though, and future proof a bit.

I would run UserBenchmark.com to see where your system ranks. I just ran mine, and got a "Battle cruiser," as a desktop, fine for what I do, but I don't do gaming stuff or need hi-res graphics.

fuzzywuzzy1
04-05-2021, 02:06 PM
With an SSD upgrade plus a memory upgrade on your laptop, you can still upgrade for free to Windows 10. My most recent free upgrade from Windows 7 64 Bit to Windows 10 was done only 3 weeks ago. They were supposed to stop the free upgrade years ago but it still works.

zaang83
04-05-2021, 02:38 PM
Buy the SSD HDD, max out your compatible ram and do the free win 10 upgrade (as suggested above). While you are in there, replace your existing fans and vacuum out the dust! :D

cap wor
04-11-2021, 11:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I will try a new SSD and HDD after I try the "Userbenchmark.com".

Marley
04-20-2021, 03:15 PM
for gamming good luck on that one but after that your fine and what your going to buy piece by piece get yourself new computer there so cheap now unless you want to play big games then video cards are more then system

Shooty
04-21-2021, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I will try a new SSD and HDD after I try the "Userbenchmark.com".
11yr old pc would probably not support the SSD in the cmos.
Win 10 on an 11yr old pc would be a sluggish headache, if made to run at all!

BTW..., "Keep the computer lingo easy to understand, I'm not up on all the terminology. Building one is an option."...???
* I assume then that you are not going to do the "building"?

Just buy a new Tower, ready to go!
Take your old HDD and install in the new unit if you really need some data.

Just my 2ยข
/Shooty

Marley
04-22-2021, 03:33 PM
truth is throw that away you can buy one so cheap now 10 times better then you have now and parts are way to old to use in new system heck cost more to have someone upgrade system then buy new one time have changed maybe you should too dont waste your money and try upgrade something thats way way to old now heck cost you more to that then buy new system and thats truth

realdeal
04-28-2021, 11:32 AM
Windows 7 is no longer supported for security updatesMine never stopped receiving updates. There is a few there now waiting to be installed. I will not move to win 10 till I have too.

Deadwood
05-02-2021, 01:44 AM
Well, given the age and your thoughts on doing whatever you can to keep it. I would do an evaluation BEFORE you spend any money by looking at a newer and better OS, preferably free. Linux provides all of that and a lot more but there is a learning curve depending on what you want and what you want to do as the curve gets harder and longer with the "more" you want to do. Some drivers for your hardware may not be free as they are deemed as being 3rd party and not part of the OS itself. Next, survey your hardware within and see what you can upgrade and for how much. Again, do nothing until you have added up the total as it could be more than a newer "used" computer with newer hardware and OS included. Last and least, do not buy a new computer without some serious sole searching as the chip market has gone nuts and prices soared which means anything new and being sold has a sticker price that Ripley's has a hard time believing. Not sure if any of this is worth anything but then good advice is seldom free and the rest comes at your own peril. Good luck and hope you figure out what works for you with the best possible price.

Marley
05-11-2021, 02:33 PM
i think more video cards are nuts what was 200 to 300 is now 1400 that sucks big time because of bitecoin mining

nob0dy
05-14-2021, 09:15 AM
i think more video cards are nuts what was 200 to 300 is now 1400 that sucks big time because of bitecoin mining

a lot of companies are shut down due to a number of things like tariffs and political bs ...

everything is skyrocketing because of trade wars with china and other countries ......

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-tariffs-drive-drop-in-chinese-imports-11620811802

so expect to see everything go up , just don't buy anything you don't need .... food water and shelter is all you really need .... i've got a extra square out here on venice beach ... free food , showers in the ocean and rent free too ... i've got room in my tent as well ... LoL

no it's because of trade wars aka politics ... thousands of businesses already folded up gone vanished ...

i would watch your house normally through your neighbors camera , but due to tariffs i can't ... you see your neighbor had Q-See camera system and his cloud and service is shut down due to tariffs ... LoL j/k

https://q-see.com

have a good night my friend ;D

oh and @ the Op ..... You never mentioned how much money you're willing to blow/pay for this new computer , someone said barebone and swap hard drive and something about free window 10 upgrade ... or linux ..

for a non gamer that sounds about right , and or just updating the memory i dunno what optiplex version of dell do you have ? LoL ;x