PDA

View Full Version : My new Avov TVOnline - some initial impressions

lstep
06-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Well I finally got it. Here are some initial thoughts:

- really easy to set up, fun to use
- iptv server works much better than emulation under either Kodi, Fire TV, etc ...
- remote not the greatest but that seems true for most Android based boxes
- various apps work fine
- AirPlay does not work properly, if at all. Miracast is laggy. Neither is useful for video. DLNA though does work.
- You can cast video to the unit via DLNA. In fact it works great from DS Video ( a Synology app). Be nice if a DLNA client were built in so you could access DLNA servers from the Avov TVOnline without using a smart device.
- Netflix works but like all Android TV boxes, except the official Android TV ones like the Nexus Player, the reception is SD ( no HD) and you need to use the remote in mouse mode to navigate. Basically this, as well as every unofficial Android TV box, is not what you want to use for Netflix. I'd imagine the same applies to Hulu Plus. It does work though.

In short this is a very easy to use iptv box which works very well. Doesn't overheat. Not for premium sites such as Netflix ( a Roku or AppleTV would be better for those). Plackback on the Avov TVOnline is much better than either Mag emulation using a Fire TV or stalker emulation under Kodi running on an i3 PC.

ls

Edit: I have since set up the Avov TVOnline with a Harmony remote and the experience is even nicer. I used a Harmony Smart Control with the Hub. It had to learn all the TVOnline's remote codes which went well except for the Menu button which doesn't appear to do anything anyways.

Kimbo
06-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Thank you for the input!!

grodri1972
06-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Picture quality looks better than my dreamlink hd