PDA

View Full Version : Is Unlimited Downloads From Your ISP...really needed ?

wee-haggis
01-03-2015, 02:34 AM
After doing a bit of testing and experimenting I came to the following conclusion.

With my 175GB/mth allowance , I calculated the typical monthly usage for the downloading I do (as well as regular internet usage with the computers we have in our home) then
I subtracted that amount from 175 (came to just over 86GB). I then used the Bandwidth Allowance chart and concluded that I could get 6.4 hours per day of Live HD programming
or.....4.5 hours of VOD in HD.
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, this new IPTV service is only supplementing my other Satellite and Cable TV systems, so my existing allowance would be more then sufficient.
JMHO

Live TV Channels:
SD = 750Kbps = 329.58 MB / Hour @ 8 Hours per Day = 81.73 GB / Month
HD = 1 Mbps = 439.43 MB / Hour @ 8 Hours per Day = 108.98 GB / Month.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
VoD Movies:
MicroHD = 650Kbps = 285.63 MB / Hour @ 8 Hours per Day = 70.83 GB / Month.
HD = 1.4 Mbps = 615.21 MB / Hour @ 8 Hours per Day = 152.57 GB / Month.

Gordc
01-03-2015, 03:01 AM
I guess you answered your own question!
Unlimited was just mentioned as a good idea so you never have to worry about going over (no big bills in the mail)
Everyone's need will be different if what you have works for you then you're good to go

wee-haggis
01-03-2015, 03:08 AM
I guess you answered your own question!
Unlimited was just mentioned as a good idea so you never have to worry about going over (no big bills in the mail)
Everyone's need will be different if what you have works for you then you're good to go

I wasn't actually asking a question :).... JMHO
I do understand the reasoning behind suggesting Unlimited Downloads, but in some areas (including mine) the difference in cost for what I have and unlimited is quite substantial....so giving it a try (at least for the first month) will do no harm. I also have my Router set up to sound an alarm when/if I get within 100MB of my limit . I also check my ISP website every day to see the if I am on track with my daily allowance (and running total). I was able to determine this with an Excel Spreadsheet I made for each month.

Gordc
01-03-2015, 03:14 AM
Sorry the question mark in your headline confused me lol :cool:

BIO
01-03-2015, 03:18 AM
I wasn't actually asking a question :)

But, it has a question mark up there in the title?

Some users have data plans that charge rates for usage over their "allowance".
Some throttle your connection if you come close to going over.

These are the reasons for the suggestion of unlimited.
I don't know how many members it will effect with widespread "up to unlimited" out there but it needs to be open for discussion. Some that use iks use it as their ONLY source of tv. Those that do may find issues when their first bill comes in and will be looking for the first person they come across on the forum to blow up on. At least with the discussion there is adequate warning.

Not everyone is checking their allowance and doing the numbers to keep them in good standing with their isp. Kudos to you for doing it though.

Gordc
01-03-2015, 03:22 AM
[QUOTE=BIO;3177]But, it has a question mark up there in the title?

Some users have data plans that charge rates for usage over their "allowance".
Some throttle your connection if you come close to going over.

These are the reasons for the suggestion of unlimited.
I don't know how many members it will effect with widespread "up to unlimited" out there but it needs to be open for discussion. Some that use iks use it as their ONLY source of tv. Those that do may find issues when their first bill comes in and will be looking for the first person they come across on the forum to blow up on. At least with the discussion there is adequate warning.

Not everyone is checking their allowance and doing the numbers to keep them in good standing with their isp. Kudos to you for doing it though.

Great answer!

Kodi64
01-03-2015, 03:58 AM
ive got 300 gigs a month and if I go over ill make the necessary adjustments to my isp I do prefer the HD channels over SD any day of the week
I have been streaming for years and have never gone over
running roku3 with iptv running mag 254 with iptv then t8 android, avov vox1 and mygica 582 when it isn't in the shop

wee-haggis
01-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Sorry the question mark in your headline confused me lol :cool:

Hah-Ha....its OK (just my pathetic attempt at grammatical humour ) :)
(I was asking and answering my own question)...... thus the JMHO at the end.

I am in the same boat at previously mentioned folk (where going over usage incurs pretty high payments). I don't believe I am throttled when close to allowance limit.
I think most routers have the ability to track (as mine does) and I hope this little warning alarm will work if I get close to my daily allowance.
I know this won't work for everyone....but I only suggested it because theres nothing to lose by trying for the first month (while keeping tabs on it).....before committing to (what might be) an unnecessary upgrade to ISP plan.

theuduk
01-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Also have 300g limit running two TVs with two IKS and two XBMC boxes and two mag254 well under the limit which will change if not using IKS much, provider does not count some time after midnight, will go for unlimited if need be.
Only two units will be active at any given time.

zensat
01-03-2015, 03:03 PM
...so an "heavy watcher" is going to use reasonably between 150 to 180 gb per box a month....
if you need more then that you dont need another provider you need ...a doctor.
The problem is when you start using 2 o 3 box per house...you really need unlimited
It is a good idea to start point out providers that offer unlimited for a reasonable price
in my area i called Charter and they confirmed i have unlimited for $50 a month (@ 65 giga dl speed/5 ul)

martys
02-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Ihave 50gb per month using mag254 for appx. 8 hr aday will this be enouth with out going over my limit
martys

Bkman2020
02-18-2015, 11:56 PM
Depends how many other devices suck your bandwidth.