PDA

View Full Version : New Rules Starting with Hotlanta...

4me2c
02-22-2019, 08:04 PM
"Drivers’ ability to adapt will be tested more than usual throughout the 2019 NASCAR season as the series introduces significant rules changes. The first big change to Cup Series cars comes at Atlanta this weekend when drivers get into cars that have 200 fewer horsepower and a lot more downforce than the ones they drove at Atlanta in 2018.

“I think if you look at most sports – football or baseball or whatever – you’re doing the same thing each week,” 2017 champion Martin Truex Jr. said. “Whether you go to a different state or whatever, you’re playing on the same field, you’re playing the same game, you’re doing the same things.

“We go to a different race track every weekend. The track changes throughout the race. The track changes throughout the year. Different styles of race track … The tires are changing. The rules are changing. You can never sit still as a driver.”
Atlanta will feature 550 HP engines, 8-inch spoilers

Atlanta was always going to race slightly differently in 2019 than it did in 2018 if NASCAR didn’t change car specifications at all. The adaptations that drivers would be making as they take to the track on Friday would be slight.

With the rules changes now, however, the adaptations are going to be anything but slight. With less top speed and acceleration and potentially more corner speed, braking and acceleration points will be substantially different than they were a year ago. The fastest lines around the track may be different.

“Really, the first half of the season is going to be 100 percent a learning curve of trying to figure out what you need and where you need to go with it,” 2014 champion Kevin Harvick said."

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/RbXp1IcjgmoMhUHhUe32LA--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/7610caa2f77f866ad7512f69315b2c38

"“I was very skeptical of that when I jumped from the four-cylinder class in short track to the late models, is that this is a lot different,” Hamlin said. “He said, well you’re still going in a circle. You’ve still got to get off the corner well and you’ve got to figure out how to make it happen. It’s no different than the rule changes. High downforce, low downforce, whatever. You still have to get around the race track as fast as possible. I think the great drivers figure out how to do it quicker than others.”

It’s no coincidence that the greatest race car drivers are the ones that are the most adaptable. To be a great driver you have to excel in every form of motorsport you participate in and on every type of track. Just look at Tony Stewart, a driver considered one of the greatest in the modern era of American racing. He’s the only driver to win titles in the IndyCar Series and at NASCAR’s top level. And he did so just six years apart.

Brad Keselowski said he believed adaptability was the most important skill a driver could have. The greatest drivers are the ones who are inherently the most adaptable.

“Adaptability kind of coincides with other great characteristics but adaptability is what gives you power to sustain in this sport,” said Keselowski, the 2012 champion. “The rules are always changing. It seems like every year there is a rules change we talk about and how it will really change the game and then you look back at the press quotes from the last dozen years and we have said the same thing.

“Some drivers are able to keep up with it and some aren’t. I look at a guy like Jeff Gordon who adapted so well to multiple rules packages and it was really impressive and was a testament to his staying power and success throughout his career. I look at that and think that is probably what made him a Hall of Fame driver.”..." :cool:

4me2c
02-24-2019, 07:36 PM
https://www.nascar.media/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2019/02/17ricky_stenhousejr_2019_LittleHug_1200x520-copy-922x400.png

https://www.nascar.media/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2019/02/18kyle_busch_2019_SnickersCreamy_1200x520-922x400.png ...!

See the Rest of the Story Here :
https://www.nascar.com/gallery/paint-scheme-preview-atlanta-2019/#/0 :cool:

dara
02-24-2019, 08:16 PM
Congrats on your 2000th post, 4me2c

4me2c
02-24-2019, 09:05 PM
Thanks...!

LMOL...! Noticed Me got's a New Title also...! :cool:

4me2c
03-01-2019, 06:21 PM
"Las Vegas 101: Rules package, Goodyear tire selection, more for race weekend
By
Staff Report NASCAR.com February 27, 2019 at 11:17 am

The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series heads to Las Vegas Motor Speedway this weekend, with Sunday’s Pennzoil 400 presented by Jiffy Lube (3:30 p.m. ET, FOX, PRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio) serving as the capstone of a third consecutive triple-header weekend.

This is the first race of the season in which Monster Energy Series cars will use both tapered spacers, to reduce horsepower, and aero ducts to transfer air to the side of the car away from the front tires, which should foster tighter racing. That baseline rules package of tapered spacers and aero ducts will be in place on a majority of speedways measuring longer than 1 mile, but this is the first weekend of the season both are in use.

We explain that, plus much more, below to get you ready for Sin City."

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2019/02/27/las-vegas-101-rules-package-goodyear-tire-selection/

:cool:

4me2c
03-03-2019, 10:30 PM
L. V. Paint Schemes :

https://www.nascar.com/gallery/paint-scheme-preview-las-vegas-2019/#/1

4me2c
03-08-2019, 03:42 PM
More Changes for Racers at Phoenix :
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2019/03/06/phoenix-101-rules-package-goodyear-selection-more-for-race-weekend/

" By
Staff Report NASCAR.com March 6, 2019 at 1:18 pm

The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series heads to ISM Raceway this weekend for Sunday’s TicketGuardian 500 (3:30 p.m. ET, FOX, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).

Teams will have to adjust from their first two races with the 2019 rules package in Atlanta and Las Vegas to this weekend’s stint in Phoenix, where a different-sized tapered spacer — and no aero ducts — are on display for the first time this year.

ISM Raceway has an idiosyncratic layout where it’s nice to have a fast car — but a fast car that handles well is even better.

We explain that, plus much more, below to get you ready for racing in the desert."

More with the Link Above...!

4me2c
03-08-2019, 03:48 PM
https://www.nascar.com/gallery/paint-scheme-preview-phoenix-1-2019/#/0

Plain to see that Ryan Newman likes Bacon...! :cool:

dara
03-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Yes, first "short track" configuration, 750 hp, and no aeroducting so cars will not be as "sticky".

4me2c
03-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Suarez, McDowell get physical on pit road during qualifying
By
Pat DeCola NASCAR.com March 8, 2019 at 7:25 pm

AVONDALE, Ariz. – Temperatures were uncharacteristically in the mid-60s in the desert Friday afternoon, but things still heated up at ISM Raceway.

Daniel Suarez and Michael McDowell got physical during Busch Pole Qualifying, shoving each other on pit road with the Stewart-Haas Racing driver forcefully taking down his fellow Ford stablemate after McDowell initiated contact.

The disagreement spurned from an on-track dispute where Suarez was unable to get past the No. 34 of McDowell in the first round of qualifying. The SHR driver said he felt McDowell deliberately didn’t allow him to run a full, unimpeded lap — resulting in his worst starting spot (28th) of the season. McDowell will start right next to him in 27th.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2019/03/08/daniel-suarez-michael-mcdowell-fight-pit-road-during-qualifying-ism-raceway/

http://secure.nascar.com/video/franchise/monster-energy-nascar-cup-highlights/suarez-mcdowell-ride-together-in-pre-race-ceremonies/ :cool:

dara
03-10-2019, 08:33 PM
They were on the same row for the driver presentation, so they rode the same truck.

4me2c
03-11-2019, 06:58 PM
2019 GRAND MARSHALS: Mötley Crüe

The world’s most notorious, multi-platinum rock band, Mötley Crüe, have been named Grand Marshals and will give the command “Drivers, Start Your Engines,” on March 17 for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Auto Club 400 race!

http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/Tickets-and-Events/Events/~/media/141EF1539042405199F02F7D0603B1F0.ashx

4me2c
03-14-2019, 10:31 PM
The Auto Club 400 is scheduled for Sunday, March 17th at 3:30 pm EST
Kyle Larson has the best average finish position at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana
Martin Truex Jr. is the defending champion

The NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Series shifts to California this weekend where the Auto Club 400 will take place on Sunday, March 17th at 3:30 p.m. ET. While the usual big boys are favored this week, there looks to be some good value with drivers like Kyle Larson and Martin Truex Jr.

It’s a bit of an odd week as there are six drivers inside of 7/1, and then everyone else is beyond 20/1. Let’s take a closer look at the odds available at 5Dimes.
2019 Auto Club 400 Odds
Driver 2019 NASCAR Auto Club 400 Odds at 5Dimes
Kyle Busch +500
Kevin Harvick +500
Kyle Larson +600
Joey Logano +650
Brad Keselowski +650
Martin Truex Jr. +650
Denny Hamlin +2150
Ryan Blaney +2150
Aric Almirola +2250
Erik Jones +2250
Kurt Busch +2250
Chase Elliott +2750
Clint Bowyer +2750
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. +5500
Jimmie Johnson +5500

*Odds taken 03/13/19
Track History Suggests You Should Trust Truex Jr.

Martin Truex Jr. rolled through this event last year, leading for 125 (of the 200) laps before picking up the win. He performed well in 2017 here too, leading for 73 laps prior to finishing fourth. Prior to that, he wasn’t that competitive in California but remember, this is a driver who has emerged in recent years.

4me2c
03-15-2019, 03:44 PM
NASCAR to enforce pit-road speeding during Monster Energy Series qualifying
By
Staff Report NASCAR.com March 13, 2019 at 4:25 pm

NASCAR officials will begin enforcing the speed limit on pit road during Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series qualifying starting this weekend at Auto Club Speedway.

The same pit-road speed used for the race — which varies from track to track — will be used in qualifying.

A driver exceeding the pit-road speed exiting onto the track will be called back down pit road before becoming eligible to post a qualifying time.

A driver exceeding the pit-road speed returning to pit road will have his/her time posted on the previous set of qualifying laps disallowed.

4me2c
03-21-2019, 09:13 PM
2019 STP 500 NASCAR Cup Series Race Odds :

STP 500 - TO WIN
KYLE BUSCH +200
BRAD KESELOWSKI +500
JOEY LOGANO +600
MARTIN TRUEX JR +600
DENNY HAMLIN +1000
CLINT BOWYER +1000
KEVIN HARVICK +1500
CHASE ELLIOTT +2000
RYAN BLANEY +2000
ARIC ALMIROLA +2500
KURT BUSCH +2500
JIMMIE JOHNSON +3000
ERIK JONES +5000
KYLE LARSON +5000
AUSTIN DILLON +8000
ALEX BOWMAN +8000
DANIEL SUAREZ +8000
RYAN NEWMAN +8000
FIELD +2000

Sunday, March 24th, 2019 @ 2:00 PM ET :cool:

4me2c
03-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Just in case the notice wasn't seen in dara's post...!

Shakeup for 2020 with Nascar :

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2019/03/26/2020-nascar-schedule-revealed-playoffs-championship-race-changes/

"
NASCAR.com to stream first three Richmond practices
By
Staff Report NASCAR.com April 9, 2019 at 11:13 am

NASCAR.com will live stream the first three practices at Richmond Raceway — two Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practices and one Xfinity Series practice — in advance of the weekend races in Virginia. Bookmark
https://www.nascar.com/live, the destination for all live practice streams this year. You can also catch the practice on NASCAR Mobile.

For Friday specifically, the live-streaming schedule is as follows for users in the United States. Full practices will be posted to NASCAR’s YouTube channel later in the day for fans who can’t watch live.

• 8-10 a.m. ET: Xfinity Series final practice
• 11 a.m. – noon ET: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series first practice
• 1-2 p.m. ET: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series final practice"...! :cool::cool: and :cool:

4me2c
05-15-2019, 04:42 PM
Make sure to get Extras :
https://foundation.nascar.com/public/nascar/order?inventory_id=111&segmentcode=018

:cool:

4me2c
06-21-2019, 07:23 PM
This ought to bee FUN :

IT’S BACK!

After more than 20 years without it, Sonoma Raceway is bringing back the carousel section to help celebrate the track’s 50th anniversary. This means drivers will drop down coming out of Turn 4 and make a big, sweeping left turn through Turns 6 and 6A before popping back up onto what has been the normal layout of late in Turn 7.

TIRES

It’s the first chance to break out the Goodyear Eagle Road Course Radials this season. Each team will get three sets for practice, one set for qualifying and seven sets for the race (six race sets, plus one set transferred from qualifying or practice).

Adding the carousel lengthens the track from 1.99 miles to 2.52 miles and will make the technical road course even more tight. As a result, Goodyear is bringing one of its most tractive tread compounds in the entire 2019 tire lineup.

Goodyear will also bring its wet weather radials for Sonoma should NASCAR decide that conditions warrant. But they tell us it never rains in Northern California.

RULES PACKAGE

Sonoma will feature the 2019 rules package for road courses, and that means no aero ducts and a tapered-spacer engine expected to reach 750 horsepower.

TUNE-IN INFORMATION
TV: FS1 (3 p.m. ET)
Radio: PRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio
NASCAR.com: Live leaderboard, Drive, RaceView
Trackside Live: 11:30 a.m. ET on Sunday

Of note: The FOX part of the 2019 Cup schedule wraps up this weekend, and it will be Darrell Waltrip’s last broadcast, i.e. the last time to hear him utter the famous “Boogity, boogity, boogity” line. He is sure to have something special up his sleeve worth tuning in for, and several drivers will be driving cars paying homage to Waltrip’s former paint schemes. |

dara
06-21-2019, 08:17 PM
It looks like I have to change the picture of the track in the Sonoma thread, I guess.

4me2c
06-21-2019, 09:20 PM
Is this the New Way...?!?

https://www.nascar.media/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2018/09/2018-sept29-sonoma-carousel-main-photo.jpg

4me2c
06-22-2019, 12:06 AM
Adding the carousel lengthens the track from 1.99 miles to 2.52 miles and will make the technical road course even more tight. As a result, Goodyear is bringing one of its most tractive tread compounds in the entire 2019 tire lineup.

Goodyear will also bring its wet weather radials for Sonoma should NASCAR decide that conditions warrant. But they tell us it never rains in Northern California.

crazed 9.6
06-22-2019, 01:35 AM
cool:)
I race this course on my xbox Forza Motor-Sports games.
The game has both versions of them corners (actually 3 versions in all).
Them corners can be tricky,especially between 4 and 5 :eek:
seems when you get around corner 4 and then almost around corner 5 and with the track still heading to the right, well if you are not careful you end up in the grass on the left. And to top it off, there is a bit of a crest there in the track, so as you leave corner 5 (or so you think you are leaving it), you can not see the upcoming soft right, after you crest the hill there is still more corner !! ... it can make for a real mess if not on the ball.

4me2c
06-27-2019, 03:43 PM
"NASCAR updated its rule book Wednesday to include language in the book’s penalty section that series officials could consider any damage caused during a race when assessing if a violation has occurred.

Section 12.4.a now reads (bold added to highlight updated section):
“NASCAR may issue penalties as it deems fit to provide for the orderly conduct of the sport. Such determinations may be made by NASCAR before, during, or after the Event, and may consider, to the extent deemed reasonable by NASCAR in the interests of racing competition and fairness, any modifications caused or required as a result of damage caused by In-Race accidents.
The change could impact whether a winner (or any other car inspected after the race) is disqualified for failing post-race inspection.
Section 8.3.c of the Cup Rule Book already had a similar statement in regards to vehicle eligibility. It stated:
“Such determinations may be made by NASCAR before, during, or after the Event, and may consider, to the extent deemed reasonable by NASCAR in the interests of racing competition and fairness, any modifications caused or required as a result of damaged caused by In-Race accidents.”
Rear spoiler with the wicker that was added at Talladega. Photo: Dustin Long https://nbcnascartalk.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/img_1873-e1561582047466.jpeg?w=640&h=360

NASCAR also announced Wednesday that the Cup package for next weekend’s race at Daytona International Speedway will be the same as used in the race at Talladega Superspeedway.
At Talladega, teams had a wicker added to lower speeds. What will be used at Daytona will be a one piece spoiler/wicker. The overall dimensions remain the same for the spoiler.
Tags: Daytona International Speedway, nascar, Talladega Superspeedway"...!

4me2c
06-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Tidbit on Tires :

All three of NASCAR’s national series will be in action this weekend at Chicagoland Speedway, and they will all compete on updated tire combinations on the 1.5-mile track.

Compared to what was run at Chicago last year, both left and right-side tires feature construction updates to align with what is run at other speedways, while the right-side tire has also gone from a multi-zone tread tire to a single zone tread tire and will increase grip.

This tire combo was confirmed at a Goodyear test at Chicagoland on May 7. The drivers who participated in the test were Brad Keselowski, Ryan Newman and Paul Menard. As on all NASCAR ovals greater than 1 mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Chicagoland. Air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.

“Based on some indications we saw at our test at Chicagoland, we felt like we could bring some additional grip that will help the cars in traffic,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing, in a press release. “When a trailing car closes in on a car ahead, it loses some aerodynamic downforce, so the additional mechanical grip from a more tractive right-side tire can help offset that loss. The 2019 Cup rules package has produced some good side-by-side racing so far, but based on what we saw at our test, as well as additional driver feedback, we feel like a more tractive right-side compound might help the cars throughout the field.”

"Here is the tire info for the weekend.

Set limits: Cup: Three sets for practice, one set for qualifying and nine sets for the race (eight race sets plus one set transferred from qualifying or practice)

Xfinity: Eight sets for the event

Truck: Seven sets for the event

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-4928; Right-side — D-4930

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,227 mm (87.68 in.); Right-side — 2,248 mm (88.50 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front – 19 psi; Left Rear – 19 psi; Right Front – 48 psi; Right Rear – 44 psi"...!

dara
06-27-2019, 09:26 PM
Good stuff. I had no idea that they added that wicker for Talladega. I'm ok for making things stickier with added speed, as cars aren't meant to be flying projectiles, but once they are airborne, its heartstopping.

4me2c
07-03-2019, 02:54 AM
July 2, 2019 at 3:05 PM

NASCAR has switched things up for this weekend’s Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Daytona International Speedway.

Stage lengths are going to be longer Saturday night for the Coke Zero Sugar 400 (7:30 p.m. ET, NBC, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio). Stages 1 and 2 are both set to increase by 10 laps, with Stage 1 now ending on Lap 50 and Stage 2 now ending on Lap 100. As a result, the final stage will technically become shorter, coming in at just 60 laps rather than 80 since the checkered flag will still wave on Lap 160 — if all goes according to plan.

dara
07-03-2019, 03:35 AM
NASCAR wanted to take out fuel mileage a factor in the stages, forcing teams to make a pit stop sometime during the stage.

4me2c
07-05-2019, 06:04 PM
RULES PACKAGE

Teams will use the 2019 rules package with new tweaks specifically tailored for superspeedway racing at Daytona — the first time used at the track following restrictor plate usage at the Daytona 500. The package includes a 0.922-inch tapered spacer (replacing the restrictor plate), 9-inch rear spoiler, 1-inch bolt-on track bar mount, a tapered radiator pan, two-inch splitter overhang and aero ducts. Just as at Talladega in April, teams will use a 1-inch wicker extension placed on top of the 9-inch spoiler.

Cup Series teams also will participate with a new left-side tire compound for the Goodyear Eagle superspeedway radial, a construction update that makes its debut this weekend. The update was recommended after a two-day test at Daytona in February. Teams will be provided with two sets of tires for practice, one set for qualifying and seven sets for Saturday’s race — six race sets plus one set transferred from qualifying or practice.

“The goal was to incorporate the basic elements of the 2019 rules package into the aerodynamic configuration for the superspeedways of Daytona and Talladega, so they are no longer unique in that perspective,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “With that alignment established early in the test, we took the same approach to the tires. The result was a tire combination with the same constructions we run at the intermediate tracks, married with the tread compounds run at Daytona in February.”

4me2c
07-12-2019, 04:58 PM
Kentucky RULES PACKAGE

The Kentucky Speedway rules package will mirror the setup used at other 1.5-mile tracks this season — the same package most recently at Chicagoland in the race won by Alex Bowman. The engine will be fitted with a tapered spacer generating an expected horsepower of about 550. Cars will also feature aero ducts.

TIRES

Each Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series team will get 12 sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials — three sets for practice, one set for qualifying, and eight sets for the race (7 sets plus one transferred from qualifying or practice). The tire features a new compound change that adjusts for a relatively newer and smoother racing surface, as Kentucky was repaved before the 2017 race.

4me2c
07-19-2019, 08:32 PM
RULES PACKAGE

The New Hampshire Motor Speedway rules package will mimic the setup used at other 1-mile tracks this season — the same package most recently run at Sonoma Raceway in the race won by Martin Truex Jr. The engine will be fitted with a tapered spacer generating an expected horsepower of about 750 and there will be no aero ducts on the cars.

TIRES

The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series teams will get 13 sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials – three sets for practice, one set for qualifying and nine sets for the race (eight race sets plus one set transferred from qualifying or practice). Both compounds run at New Hampshire are the highest performing in its tire lineup. Teams are running two new tire codes compared to what was run last year, featuring construction updates. This is the only track in which teams will run this specific tire code and like other ovals 1-mile or less in length, teams will not run inner liners in their tires.

4me2c
07-25-2019, 12:15 AM
RULES PACKAGE

The race at Pocono Raceway will feature the 2019 rules package with a tapered-spacer engine generating around 550 horsepower. Changed for the earlier race this season, the cars will feature aero ducts — an adjustment made after running the non-duct package at Atlanta Motor Speedway. This change will also take place at Darlington Raceway and Homestead-Miami Speedway later this year.

Each team will be provided with three sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials for practice, one set for qualifying and seven sets for the race (six race sets plus one carried over from practice or qualifying).

In order to give drivers more versatility regarding lane selection, the track will also feature the PJ1 application in all three corners — the first time it’s been laid down on the Pocono surface....! :cool:

4me2c
08-02-2019, 04:40 PM
RULES PACKAGE

Watkins Glen will feature the 2019 rules package for road courses, and that means no aero ducts and a tapered-spacer engine expected to reach 750 horsepower.

For tires, the Goodyear Eagle Road Course Radials will be used, and each team will get three sets for practice, one set for qualifying and five sets for the race (four race sets plus one set transferred from practice or qualifying).

Watkins Glen is a faster and less technical road course than Sonoma Raceway, so this week’s race will require a different tire setup. Because of all the speed at Watkins Glen, the tread compound used will be more heat resistant.

Goodyear will also bring its wet weather radials for use at Watkins Glen should NASCAR decide that conditions warrant. Each team is allowed up to three sets of “wets” for practice/qualifying and up to three sets for the race.

4me2c
08-08-2019, 05:21 PM
RULES PACKAGE

Sunday’s race will feature the 2019 baseline rules package with the smaller tapered spacer, so engines will run with horsepower of about 550. Aero ducts will be used this week, along with the radiator pan, splitter and spoiler from the baseline rules package.

Michigan is a relatively smooth track, so Goodyear notes the challenge will be providing a tire that produces adequate wear. Each team will get three sets of tires for practice, one set for qualifying and eight sets for the race (seven race sets plus one set transferred from qualifying or practice). Teams will have inner liners in the tires.

In addition, NASCAR announced PJ1 will be used on the track for the first time.

4me2c
08-16-2019, 02:34 PM
RULES PACKAGE

Bristol will employ the 2019 baseline rules package, which includes a taller, 8-inch by 61-inch rear spoiler, a larger front splitter and a wider radiator pan. For short tracks like Bristol, the aero ducts are not used, and the larger tapered spacer is in play giving engines about 750 horsepower.

Goodyear notes that each team will be allotted three sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials for practice, one set for qualifying and nine sets for the race (eight race sets plus one set transferred from qualifying or practice). Unlike most other NASCAR short tracks, teams are required to run inner liners in their right-side tires at Bristol.

PJ1 will be used at Bristol this weekend to give drivers an additional racing groove. At Bristol, PJ1 will be applied to the bottom lane. Goodyear, NASCAR and the track will monitor the track condition throughout the weekend.

On a Side Note :

NASCAR, Goodyear targeting 2021 for new tire in Cup Series
By
George Winkler NASCAR.com August 16, 2019 at 8:32 AM

Goodyear has been working with NASCAR on plans to introduce a new tire in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in 2021. Instead of the 15-inch tires currently used, the targeted size of the new tire is 18 inches and the change would coincide with the introduction of the Generation-7 vehicle. ...! :cool:

4me2c
08-30-2019, 08:32 PM
RULES PACKAGE

The race at Darlington Raceway will feature the 2019 rules package with a tapered-spacer engine generating around 550 horsepower. After a change earlier in the season, the cars will feature aero ducts this weekend.

Each team will be provided with three sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radial tires for practice, one set for qualifying and 14 sets for the race (a season-high number of sets). This means that they will have to go an average of just more than 26 laps per set to finish the race. This is the first time teams will run this combination of left- and right-side tires at Darlington. Like last season, these tires feature the same tread compounds, only with an update to the construction to align what is run at other tracks.

4me2c
09-05-2019, 08:56 PM
RULES PACKAGE

The race at Indianapolis will feature the 2019 rules package with aero ducts and a tapered-spacer engine generating a targeted 550 horsepower.

Each team will be provided with three sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radial tires for practice, one set for qualifying and nine sets for the 400-mile race (eight, plus one transferred from practice or qualifying).

This is the first time teams will run this tire combination at Indianapolis. A tire test at the 2.5-mile track on June 4-5 prompted officials to adopt the tire setup previously used this season at Pocono Raceway, another high-speed track with a different configuration but the same length. The Indianapolis track applied a sealer to the racing surface in May, ahead of the Indianapolis 500.

4me2c
09-12-2019, 06:57 PM
RULES PACKAGE

The race at Las Vegas will feature the 2019 rules package with aero ducts and a tapered-spacer engine generating a targeted 550 horsepower.

Each team will be provided with three sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radial tires for practice, one set for qualifying and 10 sets for the 400-mile race (nine, plus one transferred from practice or qualifying).

The Monster Energy Series gets a break from its string of hard-wear tracks with its trip to Vegas.

“Las Vegas is widely known on the NASCAR circuit as a track that does not wear tires,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “That is an important concern for Goodyear and the race teams because when tires don’t wear, they don’t shed rubber and therefore retain more heat. What that requires us to do is bring tread compounds that will wear more and help the tire run cooler. We’ve done a lot of development work in this area, with a number of tracks that have ‘smoother’ surfaces. We’ve come up with a successful right-side tire that accomplishes that, and we now bring that to multiple tracks — Texas (Motor Speedway), Kansas (Speedway), Michigan (International Speedway) and Kentucky (Speedway), in addition to Las Vegas.”

4me2c
09-19-2019, 06:14 PM
RULES PACKAGE

The race at Richmond will feature the 2019 rules package with no aero ducts and a tapered-spacer engine generating a targeted 750 horsepower.

Each team will be provided with three sets of Goodyear Eagle Intermediate Radial tires for practice, one set for qualifying and 10 sets for the 400-mile race (nine, plus one transferred from practice or qualifying).

Richmond Raceway is a high tire wear track so Goodyear is focused on selecting tread compounds that rubber-in the surface to create various grooves on the race track.

“Richmond is simply one of the more high-wear tracks on the NASCAR circuit,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “What we’ve seen this year with this higher downforce package, with the cars more ‘in the track’ and with less lateral slip, wear is down a bit compared to 2018. Saying that, tires are still very important at Richmond. The tread compounds we bring do a good job rubbering in the track, creating multiple racing grooves throughout the race.” :cool:

4me2c
09-23-2019, 04:43 PM
Jones fails post-race inspection at Richmond
By
Staff Report NASCAR.com September 22, 2019 at 12:33 AM

The No. 20 of Erik Jones failed post-race inspection at Richmond Raceway. Jones had finished fourth in Saturday’s Federated Auto Parts 400, the second race in the 2019 NASCAR Playoffs’ Round of 16, but the disqualification bumped him to last-place 38th.

The Joe Gibbs Racing driver’s Toyota will go back to the NASCAR Research & Development Center in Concord, North Carolina.

Team Penske’s Brad Keselowski, who was fifth, is now credited with the fourth-place finish.

Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series director Jay Fabian said the No. 20 entry failed its pass through the Optical Scanning Station and the issue dealt with the car’s rear-wheel alignment. He indicated inspectors did not find a part designed to fail to gain an advantage during the race.

“At the end of the day, the result is the same — it failed,” Fabian said.

Jones receives just one point rather than the 42 he would have earned had he passed inspection and is now 45 points under the playoff cutline with one race left (Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval) before four drivers are cut from the postseason field.

This means, instead of claiming the top four spots in the race, Joe Gibbs Racing holds just the top three spots at Richmond: Martin Truex Jr. won, Kyle Busch finished second and Denny Hamlin came in third. Jimmy Makar, Senior Vice President of Racing Operations at Joe Gibbs Racing, told reporters the organization did not have immediate plans to appeal the penalty.

The disqualification is the first in NASCAR’s top series since tougher post-race penalties and a new, expedited inspection process were installed this season. Four Xfinity Series teams have been disqualified this year, and one Gander Trucks team has been sent to the end of the finishing order.

“We’ve set the standard early in the year in what we expect, and teams have done a good job reacting to that,” Fabian said when asked if he was surprised the series’ first disqualification came in its 28th race of the year. “I think obviously as the pressure mounts and the season goes on, it doesn’t surprise me to see them pushing a little further and trying to get a little more out of their stuff, and like I say, sometimes it just crosses that line a little bit, and that’s all you need to fail.”

dara
09-23-2019, 08:26 PM
I'll check the new scores on the contest.... but I'll let 4me2C keep the scoring for Hamlin, lol.

4me2c
09-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Thanks dara...!

RULES PACKAGE

This weekend’s race will feature the 2019 rules package with no aero ducts and a tapered-spacer engine generating a targeted 750 horsepower.

Each team will be provided with three sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials for practice, one set for qualifying and eight sets for the 248.52 mile race (seven sets plus one set transferred from qualifying or practice).

Goodyear will bring a traditional road course tire to the Roval, although there is a big difference in the air pressure recommendations compared to what is run at other road courses like Watkins Glen and Sonoma. Those two courses are run in a clockwise direction for the most part with a majority of right-hand turns. The Roval is run counter-clockwise, which makes it a majority left-hand course.

“While the course has gone through several changes since it was first laid out in late 2017, the fact remains that we treat the Roval as a road course from a tire perspective,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “The Roval is definitely unique in the NASCAR world, and requires us to be aware of many factors. Similar to other road courses, we have to bring a tire and recommend air pressures that reflect the hard braking and acceleration on and off the corners. The main difference is the use of the oval as part of the course, where loads on the right-front will be higher than any other corner of the car.”

4me2c
10-04-2019, 05:57 PM
RULES PACKAGE

The race at Dover will feature the 2019 rules package with no aero ducts and a tapered-spacer engine generating a targeted 750 horsepower.

Each team will have three sets of tires for practice, one set for qualifying and 10 sets for the 400-mile race — nine race sets plus one set transferred from qualifying or practice.

Steep banking at tracks such as Dover creates higher loads specifically on the right-front tire. Due to that, Goodyear will be working with teams to stress the importance of set-ups as well as air pressures on the right-front tire. Goodyear performed additional simulation work for this track to give teams the most current information on how air pressure affects both durability and performance.

“When we went to Bristol for the second time in 2019, we saw exactly how many gains these teams have made with this package since the first race there in the spring, and we expect the same at Dover this week,” Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing, said. “Right-front durability at Dover is always on our radar because of the speeds and loads generated by these cars in the high-banked corners. … We certainly understand that in the teams’ efforts to gain as much grip as possible, being aggressive on air pressures is one of the tools they use.”

More and Other Track Stuff here :

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2019/10/03/dover-101-rules-package-tire-info-stats-tv-info-and-more/?cid=em_10%252004%252019%2520Dover%2520Weekend%252 0Preview

4me2c
10-12-2019, 01:08 PM
RULES PACKAGE

The race at Talladega will feature the 2019 rules package with aero ducts and a tapered-spacer engine generating a targeted 550 horsepower.

Each team will have two sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials for practice, one set for qualifying and seven sets for the 500-mile race (six race sets plus a set transferred from qualifying or practice).

Unlike its fellow superspeedway, Daytona International Speedway, Talladega features a more abrasive surface that increases wear on tires that affects team strategies throughout the race.

“While we will see some pit strategy at Talladega, it is a track that actually wears tires a bit, especially when compared to Daytona,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Depending on where teams are running and who they are working with, they can take four tires, or two, or fuel only to gain some track position.”

4me2c
10-18-2019, 04:22 PM
RULES PACKAGE

The setup for Kansas will follow the 2019 rules package with aero ducts and a tapered-spacer engine generating a targeted 550 horsepower.

Each team is allowed three sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials for practice, one set for qualifying and 10 sets for the race (nine sets plus one transferred from practice or qualifying).

Last repaved in 2012, the weathering track surface has led to slightly increased lap times and tire fall-off. Throughout the race, teams will likely opt for four-tire stops to maintain balanced grip entering and exiting the corners.

“We have a new left-side tire for Kansas, with a construction update that we have been rolling into most tracks over this season, paired with a right-side tire the teams have a good notebook on after having run it seven times already this year,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “What we have seen at Kansas over the past several races is that the track surface has weathered a bit and will wear tires. This right-side tire is also designed to lay rubber, so that will lead to the track changing throughout the weekend as multiple racing grooves are created.”

Maybee a Repeat of what dara posted in the Race Thread :

TRACK DETAILS

Kansas Speedway is a 1.5-mile tri-oval with an asphalt surface. The track features 17-20 degrees of variable banking in the turns, 9-11 degrees of variable banking on the frontstretch and 5 degrees of banking on the backstretch.

The inaugural race at the track was won by NASCAR Hall of Fame driver Jeff Gordon on Sept. 30, 2001.

4me2c
10-23-2019, 06:13 PM
RULES PACKAGE

The Martinsville race setup will utilize the 2019 rules package used at short tracks throughout the season. Cars will use a tapered-spacer engine that generates a targeted 750 horsepower without being fitted with aero ducts.

Teams will have three sets of Goodyear Eagle Short Track Radials for practice, one set for qualifying/start of race and nine sets for the race (eight race sets plus one transferred from qualifying or practice).

As we move deeper into the fall season, rubbering in the concrete corners may prove to be a challenge. The ability for the track to take on rubber is vital in improving the racing and opening up multiple grooves on the track. With a unique design, Goodyear has developed a right-side tread compound to counter the expected cooler temperatures.

“It’s getting later in the fall and we are likely to have cloudy conditions and temperatures in the 60-degree range at Martinsville this week, so track temps will be low, making it more difficult for the track to take rubber,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Because of the time of year we run at Martinsville, we’ve worked hard over the past several years to come up with a tread compound that will lay rubber in the concrete corners, even in cool temperatures.

4me2c
10-30-2019, 10:22 PM
RULES PACKAGE

Texas will see cars modeled with aero ducts and use a tapered-spacer engine that is targeted to generate around 550 horsepower. Teams will be allowed three Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials for practice, one set for qualifying and 10 sets for the race (nine new race sets plus one transferred from practice or qualifying).

The newly repaved and therefore smoother surface is more difficult for tires to lay down rubber and create additional groves early in the race. The use of PJ1 will be instrumental in providing grip on new areas of the track.

“Since its repave a couple years ago, Texas is one of the more ‘smooth’ surfaces we race on in NASCAR,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “The right-side tire we bring to Texas is the same one we’ve run at other tracks where we want to introduce wear or rubber-in the track. The track will also apply PJ1 to the surface this weekend to help create a second groove and give drivers options.”

4me2c
11-06-2019, 07:31 PM
RULES PACKAGE

Teams will run the 2019 rules package used at short tracks throughout the season, equipped with a 750 horsepower tapered-spacer engine. Cars will not have aero ducts.

Each team will be provided three sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials for practice, one set for qualifying and nine sets for the race (eight race sets plus one set transferred from practice or qualifying).

The unconventional length of the track and the wide exit in Turn 1 make high top-end speed an emphasis for teams. However, the unique style of racing also requires additional focus on handling in frequent three-wide and potentially four-wide scenarios on the backstretch.

“This being the NASCAR Cup Series’ last short track race of the season, it is the final time we will run this high downforce/high horsepower package,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “There’s really no other track on the circuit that is quite like Phoenix. Its unique configuration is relatively flat, but it also races more like a speedway than a traditional short track.”

4me2c
11-15-2019, 06:22 PM
RULES PACKAGE

Cars at Homestead-Miami will run a 550 horsepower tapered-spacer engine and be equipped with aero ducts. After the race at Atlanta, the original 2019 rules package was updated to include aero ducts at Pocono, Darlington and for the championship in Miami.

Teams will have three sets of Goodyear Eagle Speedway radials for practice, one set for qualifying and 12 sets for the 400-mile race (11 race sets plus one transferred from practice or qualifying). With 12 sets of race tires, tire management will be extremely important to teams throughout the entire race. Maintaining track position while managing increased tire fall-off will most likely make pit stops a vital factor in deciding this year’s champion. Race fans should expect to see four tire stops all day.

“Homestead is one of the highest tire wear tracks that we have on the NASCAR circuit,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “We have a new tire set-up for Homestead, and it is the same one we ran at both Chicagoland and Darlington earlier this season. The compounds we will be running provide plenty of grip, but also offer the endurance needed on Homestead’s track surface. These high wear tracks put on some of our best races, and the past several years at Homestead have proven that.”