PDA

View Full Version : mag254 intermittent

gmac2
01-25-2018, 12:22 AM
i have a mag 254 that after about an hour,screen turns black and it stops working until i update it theu the usb port then does exact same thing again! anyone else or have any thought on this?

Digitaldan
01-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Maybe try an online update to the latest software. Inner Portal...... Settings..... Autoupdate...... Then hit red button, (I think its the red one... might be the green one... it tells ya..) To enter manual update mode. Update that way and see what happens. Before you update and while in the update area, make sure the box is not set to auto update and that the "Beta" versions are not allowed to be loaded.

gmac2
01-26-2018, 01:45 AM
it won't stay up long enough to do this and matter of fact as of this morning it won't even turn on!

Digitaldan
01-28-2018, 07:40 PM
I have had some equipment, sat receivers mostly, act like that. Sometimes an extended time without power will bring some electronics back after the circuitry has completely discharged. That could take overnight due to the way capacitors hold power. If not, then might need repaired. Satellite receivers I have had over the years have done that and it always seems to be bad capacitors. Replacing them is the only option.
First I would try no internet connection and see if it stays on. I would Try different cable to TV. I would check anything that could cause a short to rule out an outside influence causing the box to shut down. Even the possibility of unstable power at an outlet by plugging in alone on a different circuit. If you can get into the BIOS, go there and leave set. See if box stays on in the bios. These are just things I would do to try and diagnose the problem. Luck to you! Have a great day!

gmac2
01-29-2018, 12:19 AM
I have had some equipment, sat receivers mostly, act like that. Sometimes an extended time without power will bring some electronics back after the circuitry has completely discharged. That could take overnight due to the way capacitors hold power. If not, then might need repaired. Satellite receivers I have had over the years have done that and it always seems to be bad capacitors. Replacing them is the only option.
First I would try no internet connection and see if it stays on. I would Try different cable to TV. I would check anything that could cause a short to rule out an outside influence causing the box to shut down. Even the possibility of unstable power at an outlet by plugging in alone on a different circuit. If you can get into the BIOS, go there and leave set. See if box stays on in the bios. These are just things I would do to try and diagnose the problem. Luck to you! Have a great day!

thanks for the reply again,but,at this point the box still does not power on at all,regardless if hdmi or internet is plugged or unplugged i have since reverted to an android tv box and emulator

Digitaldan
01-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Sorry to hear about no power. You could pop the case and look for swollen capacitors. If you find any then replace those. Sounds like either that or possibly a bad power supply? Did you try another one? Sorry couldn't help more. Have a great day!