PDA

View Full Version : STB died with lots of Rocket left. Advice?

richyrich
05-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, my Viewsat just kicked the bucket, 9 months left on rocket and not sure what I should do now. I was going to buy another Viewsat but with IKS coming to an end, I'm wondering if it would be better to just buy a Mag 254 and go that route? Is rocket IPTV up on most channels that are up with iks right now? There's also Kodi which I dont know much about...I dont watch a lot of TV but am looking for something that would be as close to what rocket on my Viewsat was. Meaning channels, guide, remote etc. Should I completely forget buying another IKS STB and go IPTV or Kodi?

I see I've got a lot of reading to do to get up to speed but with not having any TV now I'm in a bit of a hurry to figure out which way to go. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

4wheelin
05-26-2015, 10:39 AM
i would definately not buy a vs ,take a look at the avov boxes .

iptv
05-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Your only options are to buy another HD iks receiver or go the iptv route, as you mentioned already we don't know when the end of iks is coming but it could be soon, Since the end of May has been mentioned, I would wait the extra week or so and see what happens, chances are it will go on for quite sometimes but no assurance. Iptv is good and slowly getting there but we will know once the paid service starts so it is a difficult decision for you. Of course you could wait it out and setup your computer to watch the free iptv until the dust settles or if you have the funds, go with the future (iptv) with patience.

Marley
05-26-2015, 03:55 PM
well i have dreamlink t5 for hd iks and iptv i have many avov boxes which makes me happy they say iks will go down when i dont know so think about that too and read up

mreo
05-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Who said anything about iks coming to an end? I was sure glad I had iks a couple of days ago when iptv went down. I have a Mag 254 and two Avovs but I watch TV on iks because the picture quality is better and I can record my shows and watch them at my leisure and skip over the commercials. I sure hope iks doesn't come to an end.

K00lKatT
05-26-2015, 08:54 PM
You might like to google....anyCAST COMMAND..just for your info..

richyrich
05-27-2015, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go with a Mag 254 and then wait a week or so to see what happens then decide if I should get another IKS box.

One other question. I dont have unlimited bandwidth (I can get it). Capped at I believe 300 GB but I dont watch very much TV at all so I dont think will be an issue. But with my IKS I would just leave the receiver on all the time, just shut the TV off. With IPTV will I always have to make sure the receiver is turned off after watching TV as I assume as long as the box is powered on it's streaming? Thanks

iptv
05-27-2015, 03:03 PM
Yes, no bandwidth is consumed if you turn off the MAG254 using your remote, it goes to sleep mode.

Marley
05-27-2015, 03:36 PM
me i tell all too get unlimited bandwidth if i was you