PDA

View Full Version : Newbie need wifi help

Cedar
09-22-2017, 01:43 PM
Hello all, recently picked up a new mag254w1 box. Will not connect to the Internet, in the menu when I select my internet provider there is a check next to the provider, like it sees the internet, but it does not see a IP address, says not available.

using a net gear17 router

Cedar
09-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Reset to factory settings in the BIOS, tryed connecting again, and still the same. Recognizes my internet provider but not the IP. Internet icon is yellow.

ive searched online and just can't find a fix, newer box 254w1

wondering if my router is to old?

Cedar
09-22-2017, 04:54 PM
In the network info it shows a MAC address that does not match the netgear17 router or the mag box?

also under current configuration "NETGEAR17" (dhcp) when I went to bios I set it for (nand) as that's the tutorial I was following to set to factory settings

Cedar
09-23-2017, 12:04 AM
Checked all the stickies, went back the past year in this forum, just not seeing anything to help me.

searching google and I see threads on the no internet connection but no resolution

im at a loss, haven't a clue

gordiez
09-23-2017, 12:19 AM
Have you tried cat 5 from the router to the box? If that works then you will know for sure if it is a wifi issue.

Cedar
09-23-2017, 01:30 AM
No I haven't, I was thinking about going down and get a cable, but not quit sure exactly what I need. Ethernet I think?

crazed 9.6
09-23-2017, 01:34 AM
yes an Ethernet cable (the ends looks like an oversize telephone jack).

gordiez mentioned Cat 5 , which is one type of an Ethernet cable.
Cat 5 or Cat 5e will work well

Cedar
09-24-2017, 02:25 AM
Picked up a cat5e cable, spent most of the day resetting box, unplugging, replugging all connectors, resetting box,

nothing, says Ethernet is on, but browser don't work, no weather, nothing.

home page top left corner, network icon is lit, nothing else. On rear of box have a green and a yellow lite.

might try and have the internet provider send a tech out. It's above my knowledge.