PDA

View Full Version : Mag vs PC

chippa
05-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Just wondering, what are the pros and cons of using a dedicated iptv box like the highly touted mag254 or avov? So far I have been using my laptop with win7 and have been experiencing erratic behavior with my setup.

As it stands now, is this behavior a result of the PC setup I am using, or is it the general state of the iptv evolution currently? I am still tweaking win7 to see if I can improve my viewing experience. For example, I have just tried increasing the cache size on my HD, and will test to see if there is any improvement during the course of the day today, especially during peak viewing periods when I get the most buffering of live tv.

Another instability I experience is the reliability of the experience. As it is now, every time I click on a live tv channel, I have to keep my fingers crossed as most of the times it is not working.

I raise these points just to share my situation so I can get a feedback as I keep wondering if others have the same experience, or if I need to upgrade my setup.

Not to be ungrateful, I understand that we are evolving and really appreciate the work being done here and am very optimistic that everything will soon reach to the standard we all expect.

Marley
05-13-2015, 02:43 PM
wait tell we go private but they always said get avov or mag254

Lowteck
05-13-2015, 03:12 PM
The most options for IPTV is with your PC, but your second best is with the AVOV.

Marley
05-13-2015, 03:33 PM
nothing is better than a computer but look at the cost and i have 5 rooms thats why i say avov if you have money nothing will bet the computer hands down imho if gamer you know i started off on a computer and i paid a lot of money to get what i wanted never again

chippa
05-13-2015, 04:33 PM
nothing is better than a computer but look at the cost and i have 5 rooms thats why i say avov if you have money nothing will bet the computer hands down imho if gamer you know i started off on a computer and i paid a lot of money to get what i wanted never again

Thanks all, but asft could you explain some more. Why did you have to pay a lot of money? To get more boxes or to setup your PC?

Marley
05-13-2015, 04:49 PM
no to get the service i wanted back then

chippa
05-13-2015, 05:00 PM
Okay.

Just tested about 6 channels that I usually get buffering every few seconds and no buffering on any of them! Not certain if increasing the cache size in win7 had anything to do with it.
I am wondering if the server upload speed could be a factor.

Does anyone know if the server speeds have been upgraded?

Another way to test is to reduce back my cache and see if the buffering problem returns. Anyway, I will keep on testing my new tweak throughout today and then reduce the cache tomorrow and see.