PDA

View Full Version : Security of providing a mac address

ogopogo
05-12-2015, 01:56 PM
H[SIZE=4][/SIZE

Hello folks,

Could someone please help me understanding the risks(if even small) of one providing a mac address to rocket. Since its unique to each device, would that not providing info to who you are? What if that info was comprised?

Couldn't find any specific topic covered in the forums here. Aside from spoofing which isn't good.

Thanks,

jjjackson
05-12-2015, 03:38 PM
They already have your IP address, so mac security won't matter.

ogopogo
05-12-2015, 04:23 PM
They already have your IP address, so mac security won't matter.

Thanks jjjackson. If one used a vpn they would know that ip address correct? Guess my question becomes then--how does one protect themselve without being low hanging fruit.

K00lKatT
05-12-2015, 04:32 PM
by buying direct and not using resellers to purchase, and don't ever use paypal to pay, thks..

Lowteck
05-12-2015, 06:55 PM
I think the servers are well insulated in a another country, and somewhere I read that they are only redirecting you to another location to get the stream you want to watch.

date
05-12-2015, 08:14 PM
So do you think CNN USA and ESPN get directed from another country.

'chasing...
05-13-2015, 06:07 PM
don't understand the relevance to op... server is supposed to be in china, as i understand.. if they do manage to conquer them & get server info u may be screwed... otherwise they would need to access ur stb.. @ that point ur pretty much screwed anyway... nothin wrong with keepin urself safe though,, & my experience using vpn & proxy show no real negative effects from doing so... connection speed & reliability seem unchanged...:)

LinxTv
05-22-2015, 06:37 PM
A Mac_Address is unique in your house or office but not in the world.