PDA

View Full Version : BuzzTV Report - The Good, The Bad, and The Bugs

veronicas
04-25-2017, 08:51 PM
EDIT: This may no longer be as relevant, as there is 1 (maybe 2) updates I haven't been able to test (no box). Some issues may be fixed. I tried another Stalker server today, and I suppose it isn't compatible. My personal feeling about this box is, until the huge list of bugs/annoyances are patched, it's nothing more than a novelty. I contacted the manufacturer to try to work with them to fix this stuff, but I haven't heard back. The Android side of things did look pretty nice to be honest. It has a lot of potential for sure. Mostly minor issues which can be resolved easily. The hardware is very small but built well. Never had a single issue with overheating or CPU being clocked down due to heat. Build quality is really nice. The box is beautiful. I got the purple one but it comes in like 4-5 colors. WiFi performance is really good it seemed (I only have N router).The remote control is very nice too. No excessive clicking, but certain buttons seem to be programmed incorrectly. The BuzzTV app would be great if they figure out the HW/SW decoder thing, as the video quality is HORRENDOUS. They also need a redesigned layout for the UI thats clean, non cluttered/awkwark, and has a big EPG grid that is easy to navigate. There were some good things about BuzzTV that I liked but for the most part I found the experience very awkward.

I really wish them the best however because the box has a lot of potential if a motivated devel team is behind them. I won't be updating this anymore, as there is no point. It needs A LOT of work. Maybe if they update it, it will get better, and I'll buy another box gladly. But until then, good luck to the rest of you fine folks!!

This post will reflect the report/review for the BuzzTV app only (Stalker app).

BUGS & ISSUES:

- Very poor video rendering quality. Tested the same server using STBemu (on the Buzz box), and STBemu video quality was 10x better and smoother. This is likely due to the BuzzTV app using a poor software decoder, or possibly might be using the HW decoder (I am unsure). Software decoding with a good decoder should entirely fix this issue. This "issue" alone is making me consider returning/selling the box.

- The EPG grid is layed out poorly. The EPG grid itself is WAY TOO SMALL. The video "description" takes up the majority of the screen. They need to swap the location of the preview video with the "program info". Move the preview video to the top left, move the video info to the top right, shrink the video preview some (and get rid of that pointless 'channel' bar/ghost at the bottom of the preview window). This will allow the use of a MUCH BIGGER EPG grid, which is really needed.

- Navigating the EPG grid is WONKY. When you move the grid to the right to see what time a future program is coming on, ONLY the individual channel shifts to the right, and the " time bar" doesn't move either.... It stays at the current time. The time bar is the times located directly on top of the Grid. Ex. 3:00PM | 4:00 PM. It shouldn't be like this. ALL THE CHANNELS & The " time bar" should move in sync with each other when you move right/left in the EPG grid.

veronicas
04-25-2017, 08:52 PM
This post will reflect the report/review for the underlying ANDROID FIRMWARE on the Buzz box. This includes all apps BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE the BuzzTV (Stalker) app.

THE GOOD:

- So far Android is quite stable
- Full PlayStore and Aptoid app stores
- Comes pre rooted and can be switched to SuperSU easily
- Xposed framework compatible. - With this, I was easily able to update the "android system Webview" to the latest version (xposed has thousands of advanced uses)
- Remote control is not loud like the T1 'clicker'

BUGS & ISSUES:

- When you enable the "mouse/trackpad" with the remote control, the mouse moves VERY slowly and takes a LONG time to move across the screen. It feels very sluggish

- The Power button press length, needs to be increased in order to bring up the power menu. If you hold it to bring up the menu, it flashes several times, indicating that the menu comes up with a shorter keypress - but when I try a shorter press, the box goes into sleep mode instead of the menu coming up. Increasing the "long press" duration of the power button/menu should fix this.

- There is some app compatibility issues. Certain apps like Maxathon browser can't be installed through the PlayStore (but work on other s905 devices) - **You should be able to bypass this by simply installing your app manually (sideload)

plorraine
04-27-2017, 05:28 PM
My biggest complaint about the Buzztv box has been the quality of VOD content through the Buzztv app. The vertical stretching (to eliminate black bars at the top and bottom of screen) produces an image that has a bizarre distortion and decreased apparent resolution - I won't watch the VOD content because of its appearance. Per your suggestion, I tried the stbemu app which allows you to choose / configure the media player. Selecting either MX Player or VLC player on stbemu resolves the vertical stretching problem. I'm not sure if I would draw a conclusion about the quality of the live iptv video streams in the Buzztv app vs stbemu - I'm not saying their isn't a difference but it takes a small time to switch back and forth so it is difficult for me to do an apples-to-apples comparison and the differences are more subtle than the vertical stretching problem. I'm interested in any comments you'd make about iptv live streams rather than VOD which I agree is much better in stbemu.

Regarding the guide, I had not noticed that only one channel scrolls - I checked this and you are right. That should be fixed. I generally prefer the layout of the guide and interface on the Buzztv app and didn't experience frustration with the power button - I seem to get the three choice menu every time.

veronicas
04-28-2017, 10:50 AM
For the best/most compatible experience on STBemu, just use the Exo and Ijk media players. Use Exo for everything, but if a channel doesn't work, or it's really glitchy/buffering, or in VOD you get a message "file not found", then you switch the media player to Ijk. It has the best compatibility but quality is slightly less than Exo. Exo is unreal. The video quality is perfect. If you have doubts about it, look into its history and the back end its based on. It uses far less CPU to decode the video - at a better quality!

You can also change in the settings change the " cache amount" to 77mb or something close to that. Just replace the first two numbers with 77. Then you can also enable the setting "infinite input buffer" - this will help a lot with troublesome channels that no other media player can play.

You can also disable the "button overlay" entirely and just use the remote control. I would select the "MAG254" as the device you are emulating. If you have problems with resolution set to 1080p, switch it to auto, and it will fix itself and display properly @ 1080p.

Also make sure you've "zoomed in" to 100% (or whatever % is correct for your TV ) in the android display settings. It defaults to 92%

When you're watching a channel, press the blue button on the remote ; ) Thats the MAG EPG grid. You can't change channels through it, only look. You have to key the channel # in manually.

To be honest, its pretty much identical to my MAG on STBemu.

plorraine
04-28-2017, 03:06 PM
On stbemu, I've alternated between using "Auto" for media player or selecting MX Player as an external player. I will try your suggestion of setting it to Exo and check my other settings. "Auto" - whatever that is - defaults to stretching letterbox-format video to fill the screen vertically and I could not figure out (with minimal effort) how to restore the letterbox shape which MX and VLC did easily. Thanks again.

plorraine
04-29-2017, 02:13 AM
With the Exo player, is there a simple way to prevent vertical stretching on letter-box formatted video? While playing, I can pull down menu options to change aspect ratio but 16x9 stays vertically stretched. MX and VLC auto format back to letter box -

veronicas
04-30-2017, 01:00 AM
That's odd, I've never had an issue with any stretching. I've never had to switch the aspect ratio setting before. When you change it, change the channel afterwards in order to make sure its not conflicting with the stream in use. Same with when you switch media players. Is there an auto or "fit"/stretch option. Try those too. With a MAG, ironically " stretch" usually displays the proper size lol.

Curious, did you set STBemu (in portal settings) to 1080p? If you did, try changing it to "Auto" instead. Restart the application. That might fix it for you. It will still display @ 1080p.

floder2
04-30-2017, 02:24 PM
I have been using a Buzztv box for 2 days now and do not have the problems some are reporting ..........The mouse issue is no problem because I dont use apps that need a mouse....same with my T1 ......don't want to bother ....video quality is just fine with live tv and with VOD .................paid $ 75.00 for this thing and it was well worth it.............

floder2
04-30-2017, 02:43 PM
veronicas ----I sent in your list of complaints about the Buzztv-Box ......they responded with this e-mail .........Yet I still have not found your problem about video rendering and epg with my box...........

BuzzTV <[email protected]>
Apr 29 at 12:54 PM

To

joe

Message body
Hi Joe,

The EPG is personal preference. if you look on the internet no one else is complaining about the EPG. we are however changing one feature on the EPG when you navigate for one channel all the other channels will navigate too.

the video rendering, we only heard from 2 customers about this issue. we cannot reproduce this issue. the hardware specs is 4K and the video player were using is LJK or EXO player. we have plans on switching to Googles video player which may help the performance however I believe this is a isolated issue with certain service provider feeds.

thanks

W:GETBUZZ.TV

veronicas
04-30-2017, 09:35 PM
veronicas ----I sent in your list of complaints about the Buzztv-Box ......they responded with this e-mail .........Yet I still have not found your problem about video rendering and epg with my box...........

BuzzTV <[email protected]>
Apr 29 at 12:54 PM

To

joe

Message body
Hi Joe,

The EPG is personal preference. if you look on the internet no one else is complaining about the EPG. we are however changing one feature on the EPG when you navigate for one channel all the other channels will navigate too.

the video rendering, we only heard from 2 customers about this issue. we cannot reproduce this issue. the hardware specs is 4K and the video player were using is LJK or EXO player. we have plans on switching to Googles video player which may help the performance however I believe this is a isolated issue with certain service provider feeds.

thanks

W:GETBUZZ.TV

I finally got a response from them too and was told that "they don't need beta testers/bug reports", and all they're receiving is positive feedback.

There is certainly something wrong with the video decoder. Two stalker services look like crap on BuzzTV, but look excellent on STBemu... on the same box. Same server. I have found other users whom are saying the same thing. I tried this on two separate TVs (one plasma, one LCD) Still the same.

But the company doesn't want to hear negative feedback, so I've moved on. When you've been in the Android box market/firmware development scene as long as I have, you get a pretty good feel in regards to what you can expect from the company who makes the box. But exceptions do happen, and I would love that to be the case in this situation!

If there isn't a problem with the decoder , then something stupid is happening, like forcing my TV into RGB mode (but only in BuzzTV, which is pretty much impossible)

Anyways, I tried the box with two other FULL HD servers and it doesn't work with either. One will connect the first time, to show the channel list, but no video will show up (black screen).Then when you try to exit and go back in, it rejects the login, and bans my IP from the stalker portal for 15-30 mins. This is confirmed by trying (unsuccessfully) to log into the same service with my MAG, shortly after I was trying it with the Buzz. The sub on my MAG was an entirely separate sub from the Buzz one so no Mac mixing up or 2x login by accident on 1 Mac

I'm pleased to hear that some of you are having good luck with the box! But for me, the video quality is CRAP compared to the T1/256/254.

It has a lot.of potential, but I have my doubts that they're gonna be in it for the long haul. Seeing as all their feedback is "positive", do they have any reason/incentive to patch anything?? ;)

When you contact MINIX or Weetek about stability/bugs, they are very very happy to hear you out and try to replicate the issue. When a company says " we don't need/want your help," there's usually a reason. I would love to be proven wrong, and will gladly eat my words if that happens! I still have some hope left, and I'll be keeping an eye on it for some time to come.

billyhoss
05-07-2017, 02:46 AM
I have had no problems talking with them and giving feedback. I suggested they add an option to click numbers in the epg to get to a channel in the epg as it was lacking so you would have to page up or down all the time. was told they would put it on the todo list. there was an update today and that was added also fixed a few bugs with the update.

crazy carl
05-09-2017, 05:04 PM
I have had no problems talking with them and giving feedback. I suggested they add an option to click numbers in the epg to get to a channel in the epg as it was lacking so you would have to page up or down all the time. was told they would put it on the todo list. there was an update today and that was added also fixed a few bugs with the update.

This is good to hear I'm starting to hear more positive posting about feedback I have also spoken to a few mygiga resellers and they to have had no issues with feedback

Munstah
06-08-2017, 02:15 AM
Yes their support has been pretty damn good. I have been in contact with them regarding multiple issues and most have been fixed within 2-4 weeks

floder2
06-08-2017, 04:42 AM
Buzztv told me that the recording ability will come later with an update.....Timeshift will only work if the Service your using allows it........just like any box

k1300s
06-19-2017, 11:05 PM
I bought one just to give a try. Still setting it up. Is there a button that takes you from live stalker to Kodi and back? If so, which button does it? Also can someone run down what each colored button does? There doesn't seem to be an owners maaual that I've seen.

k1300s
06-21-2017, 01:43 PM
I'm having a sound sync issue. Kodi is OK but through IPTV66 Stalker I'm out of sync by about 15 seconds. I've rebooted, updated, and no luck. Anyone had this problem and fixed it? I read somewhere about adding a media player and messing with the settings but not sure how to that. Anyone?

k1300s
06-25-2017, 05:26 PM
After multiple factory resets and 3 different private servers I had to send it back to the company. I could not get the sound to sync up. They are sending me a replacement so I'm gonna try again. I really liked the features of the box. It's faster than Dreamlink and you can go from Kodi to Live TV much easier than constantly hitting exit on DL T1 to go from place to place. The remote is easier to use too. Fingers crossed on the replacement.

Barry The Barber
06-26-2017, 12:25 PM
I own 2 of these BuzzTv boxes. Both of mine work excellent. Number 1 box in my household.
I love the availability to load what I want on a box. Unlike the Dreamlinks or Avov boxes.

As far as a provider for iptv myself I use a different one for now while the servers here get fixed. I experience no lag on my BuzzTv boxes unless the provider is having issues.

Munstah
06-28-2017, 01:52 AM
I own 2 of these BuzzTv boxes. Both of mine work excellent. Number 1 box in my household.
I love the availability to load what I want on a box. Unlike the Dreamlinks or Avov boxes.

As far as a provider for iptv myself I use a different one for now while the servers here get fixed. I experience no lag on my BuzzTv boxes unless the provider is having issues.

yes the buzz is great but just so we don't mislead anybody, the dreamlink t1 plus also has the ability to load any apk you want as well.

David S
07-07-2017, 07:14 PM
There was another post with sound sync problems. I cut and pasted it below. It might fix some sync issues.

BuzzTV xpl2000 Sound issue

Just got a BuzzTv xpl2000 and all is good except one thing. Running Live TV and 66 I have sound out of sync with the picture.

Problem solved. The company did it by using a remote support. It turns out the issue was that I had the setting in display at 4k and it needed to be at 1080 even though my TV is a 4K TV. If you get one of these, and it's far better than anything I've tested so far, keep that in mind. If the sound is out of sync check your display settings and set them at 1080 regardless of TV

floder2
07-08-2017, 12:05 AM
The buzztv does not have a setting in display at 4k ......1080p is the highest..............

buzztest
07-28-2017, 05:08 AM
The buzztv does not have a setting in display at 4k ......1080p is the highest..............

4k setting will only appear if your TV is 4K