PDA

View Full Version : XBMC box

Gordc
12-19-2014, 07:24 PM
So I have been playing with the Mag 254 and have tried a few trials and love the picture. I also would like to try XBMC so my question is, is it worth going out and buying another box to get XMBC or should
I not waste my time?

If so what XBMC stb would be best to buy?

Thanks!

theone
12-19-2014, 07:35 PM
So I have been playing with the Mag 254 and have tried a few trials and love the picture. I also would like to try XBMC so my question is, is it worth going out and buying another box to get XMBC or should
I not waste my time?

If so what XBMC stb would be best to buy?

Thanks!

Tis box does not do xbmc. I would recommend 2 types of boxes 1 is the dreamlink with great support and then there is the minix

Marley
12-19-2014, 07:56 PM
big question is are you going to run a 4k tv anytime soon

Gordc
12-19-2014, 08:11 PM
big question is are you going to run a 4k tv anytime soon

Have no idea what 4K tv is. so I am going to say no lol

K00lKatT
12-19-2014, 08:14 PM
4k/2k is known as UHD or ultra high definition...

theone
12-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Have no idea what 4K tv is. so I am going to say no lol

Next upgrade to HDTV is UHD and believe me, it has an amazing picture quality.

K00lKatT
12-19-2014, 08:19 PM
I agree with Folcan, it's amazing...

Gordc
12-19-2014, 08:20 PM
4k/2k is known as UHD or ultra high definition...

Well considering I just bought a 55" 3Dtv last year I will be keeping this one till it dies so I guess I won't be running 4K anytime soon!

So is it worth getting a XMBC box?

theone
12-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Well considering I just bought a 55" 3Dtv last year I will be keeping this one till it dies so I guess I won't be running 4K anytime soon!

So is it worth getting a XMBC box?

XBMC and the MAG are 2 different boxes that are used for separate things. The MAG is for what rocket is about to launch which is IPTV and The Android box is what you would need to use xbmc which is pretty much what the android box is used for. You cant use both methods on one box so if you want to do xbmc and IPTV then you will need 2 separate boxes but Infomir is coming out with a box that will do both but are having some issues with it running so that will be a while before they release it. Im sure there will be a manufacture out there that are looking to make both work in one box and be released soon.

dara
12-19-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm waiting for a box that will do both XBMC and the IPTV that hopefully will be released soon by Rocket. To answer the OP'S question, its going to be a matter of personal preference. XBMC will probably be better for video on demand, such as movies, recorded sports events, and tv shows, while IPTV will be more like your FTA box, and show live channels in better resolution than the streams on XBMC. I really don't want have to use a switch for a lot of HDMI devices, so that's why I'll wait for a decent combo box.

theone
12-19-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm waiting for a box that will do both XBMC and the IPTV that hopefully will be released soon by Rocket. To answer the OP'S question, its going to be a matter of personal preference. XBMC will probably be better for video on demand, such as movies, recorded sports events, and tv shows, while IPTV will be more like your FTA box, and show live channels in better resolution than the streams on XBMC. I really don't want have to use a switch for a lot of HDMI devices, so that's why I'll wait for a decent combo box.

Rocket doesn't produce boxes lol we just use them lmfao

dara
12-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Rocket doesn't produce boxes lol we just use them lmfao

Of course... I hope that I didn't imply that Rocket will have an IPTV box... I mean the release of the service that they will provide.

jjjackson
12-19-2014, 08:40 PM
There are tons of channels out there, but most of the good ones will cost some bucks anyway. Just do some research on IPTV and XBMC, especially on Youtube, and you'll find out a bunch. From using a bit of XBMC and reviews, I've come to the conclusion that box STBs are faster and easier to use.

If you want ease of use and less complications, knowing the STBs are a bit more limited overall, I'd go with the box. Perhaps the other best way to go would be putting together a dedicated media center from a Mac mini or an old PC.

I strongly suggest you spend a few hours on Youtube and do some homework. Take some time and play around with XBMC and what it has to offer. There are forums and apps galore, enough to make you head spin.

theone
12-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Of course... I hope that I didn't imply that Rocket will have an IPTV box... I mean the release of the service that they will provide.

Lol, no problem.

Marley
12-19-2014, 08:49 PM
don't need to spend extra money the minx 8-h or dreamlink android or mygica atv582 would do you just fine for you even the new g-box

Gordc
12-19-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't mind using two boxes I have the HDMI room on my tv. Just not sure what XBMC box to buy? I am a rocket user so I jump all over the Mag 254 but I want the best of both worlds so I want to get a box for XBMC too.
Just not sure what one or where to buy it.

K00lKatT
12-19-2014, 08:56 PM
I personally like the mygica's....the582E and 1800E are both quad, octa cores....

Marley
12-19-2014, 08:59 PM
every one has something to say about get this get that just do some reading and how much you want to spend

Gordc
12-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone, I have a better understanding of all this stuff now. I will have lots more questions once I have my new box in my hand lol. After playing with the Mag 254 for the last 2 days I can say it's very
easy to use and navigate and the picture is amazing. Hopefully my new stb will be as easy! :)

jjjackson
12-19-2014, 09:16 PM
When I was learning I spend a lot of time on Youtube. Avov had some really great presentations. Really guys, do some homework on Youtube, it has it all.

theone
12-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks everyone, I have a better understanding of all this stuff now. I will have lots more questions once I have my new box in my hand lol. After playing with the Mag 254 for the last 2 days I can say it's very
easy to use and navigate and the picture is amazing. Hopefully my new stb will be as easy! :)

Its going to be easy to setup when rocket Launches the IPTV. All you do is enter the portal and your done. I have used it for over a year and its really nice and easy now it wont be the same setup as the FTA boxes like the guide will be different but you will see when rocker IPTV is out.

Gordc
12-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Its going to be easy to setup when rocket Launches the IPTV. All you do is enter the portal and your done. I have used it for over a year and its really nice and easy now it wont be the same setup as the FTA boxes like the guide will be different but you will see when rocker IPTV is out.

Hopefully it will be sooner then later :)

jjjackson
12-19-2014, 11:26 PM
I do have one question, I thought you guys were pushing Dreamlink's IPTV box?

theone
12-19-2014, 11:44 PM
I do have one question, I thought you guys were pushing Dreamlink's IPTV box?

There is no such thing as Dreamlink that does IPTV. Dreamlink SmartTV is an Android box used for xbmc.

jjjackson
12-19-2014, 11:51 PM
I understand, thanx. What system are the Mag and Avov?

theone
12-19-2014, 11:52 PM
I understand, thanx. What system are the Mag and Avov?

Linux At least MAG Is, im not sure about Avov but I think it is.

BIO
12-20-2014, 12:08 AM
Avov uses an altered form of android that doesn't use the standard app store. Android is based/built from linux and avov altered it for their own source.

Tried a few android apps on avov and none worked.
Have to be mickyhop instead of app store I guess.

jjjackson
12-20-2014, 12:11 AM
You can install XBMC on android

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_for_Android

BIO
12-20-2014, 12:17 AM
You can install XBMC on android

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_for_Android

Huh? What you sayin?

jjjackson
12-20-2014, 12:25 AM
Huh? What you sayin?

Haven't tried it, but read the page.

Marley
12-20-2014, 12:30 AM
yea whats going on

jjjackson
12-20-2014, 12:33 AM
The name of XBMC is being changed to Kodi and Gotham is the latest version.

BIO
12-20-2014, 12:37 AM
Now we have another plot twist jjj?
Ask what you want to know?
Or say what you're thinking.

I'm no good at charades

theone
12-20-2014, 12:38 AM
lol, lmfao

jjjackson
12-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Sorry don't mean to make a big deal out of this, I'm just trying to pass on some info. I haven't tried it, but from what I understand it could be possible to install XBMC on a Mag254 if it's linux based. Perhaps someone should give it a try?

BIO
12-20-2014, 12:47 AM
I see now.
I'm sure someone will eventually try it.
The link you gave is for droid though, not linux.

jjjackson
12-20-2014, 12:52 AM
Ah yes, your right, this is the correct page for linux

http://kodi.wiki/view/Installing_XBMC_for_Linux

Sorry bought that.

Linux doesn't look as easy.

dara
12-20-2014, 02:39 AM
c/p from Crazed (2.0)

with the Avov, you get the apps only that are available thru it's Mickey Market. It's not like an Android where you have an infinite amount of APPS that may be found and loaded.
The Avov runs something they call Mickey Hop.
It uses it's own Mickey Market and what's in that Market is what you can get on the Avov, no more.
There are alot of apps there now, I think 48 of them. The updates that come automatically sometimes bring more into the Market (always except all new updates as they come)

If you have a favorite app or apps, let us know and we'll tell yea if it is currently in the Mickey Market

BIO
12-20-2014, 03:13 AM
Yes dara, but we're onto another tangent again I think.
If the op is looking for something to do xbmc avov wouldn't be my first choice. To start with, avov doesn't use android apps so xbmc won't even load on it. Some xbmc apps were re-written to play on avov but you're stuck with what is offered only. I would go with something untethered to an outside server that offers true open source apps.

Avov working is dependent on connecting to the avov server to work. So if their server goes down as it did recently or decides to end your subscription you're stuck without a box because yours stops. Folcan and asft both suggested some good choices above.

crazed 9.6
12-20-2014, 03:15 AM
hey, leave me outta this dara :eek:

:)

BIO
12-20-2014, 03:37 AM
See now it's crazed fault, thanks dara. :)
Usually is anyways :roflmao:

K00lKatT
12-20-2014, 03:47 AM
yep...a real troublemaker..lol

jjjackson
12-20-2014, 05:46 AM
What might be interesting is a way to determine which OS your loading up when you turn on the box. Kind of like a Mac :)

radmacks
12-29-2014, 02:24 AM
What are you using to connect to this forum? Kodi runs on a wide array of devices. Install it on your home pc and give it a test run and see what you think before you invest any money.