PDA

View Full Version : Dreamlink T1 plus

wallsofsound
04-04-2017, 05:23 PM
I was wondering why a new android box has such a older os kitkat 4.2 I think nougat 7.2 is now available.

Mano9423
04-05-2017, 05:38 PM
I was wondering why a new android box has such a older os kitkat 4.2 I think nougat 7.2 is now available.

The guess by most, I believe, is that the DOL software that is the primary purpose of the box is designed specifically for Kitkat and Dreamlink has determined its not worth the effort to alter that software in whatever way would be necessary to run on a newer version of android.

At some point, if enough people complain, they may find a way to integrate the DOL into a newer version of android. Whether they do that with a pushed update to existing boxes or solely in a brand new box remains to be seen.

crazy carl
04-06-2017, 02:33 PM
The guess by most, I believe, is that the DOL software that is the primary purpose of the box is designed specifically for Kitkat and Dreamlink has determined its not worth the effort to alter that software in whatever way would be necessary to run on a newer version of android.

At some point, if enough people complain, they may find a way to integrate the DOL into a newer version of android. Whether they do that with a pushed update to existing boxes or solely in a brand new box remains to be seen.

I can see why this maybe done, it's a burden on Kodi users really as most Kodi users are currently using graymarket addons.. Most of those addons that involve streaming content are migrating away from the old HTTP format to https format which sadly 17.0 and under will not be doing and also do not support. There are a few articles our there about this transition process occurring.

This means that at this point you really have no choice but to upgrade to Kodi 17.1 Krypton if your using those types of addons.

My guess would be that the Dreamteam wants there box to be strictly abd Andriod box with mow google play services and an IPTV box with portal access

veronicas
04-06-2017, 07:32 PM
which sadly 17.0 and under will not be doing and also do not support.

Wait, I thought 17.0/krypton DOES support https?

floder2
04-06-2017, 10:08 PM
YES....................Kodi 17.1 does support HTTPS .....Every version of Kodi below 17.1 does not........so we all will have to run the newest version of kodi or else many addons will not work

If dreamlink does not make changes so people can run Kodi 17.1 on there boxes......then Dreamlink will not be the way to go..................

Mano9423
04-06-2017, 10:45 PM
YES....................Kodi 17.1 does support HTTPS .....Every version of Kodi below 17.1 does not........so we all will have to run the newest version of kodi or else many addons will not work

If dreamlink does not make changes so people can run Kodi 17.1 on there boxes......then Dreamlink will not be the way to go..................

Why?

Dreamlink is not marketing the box as an android box that does IPTV. They are marketing it as an IPTV STB that runs on an android platform.

They aren't competing with android boxes, they are competing with MAGs.

Personally, I like the DOL setup far better than the MAG setup. Its a more "cable-like" experience. Its easier for my wife and kids to use than a MAG.

The only people that will be disappointed with a Dreamlink T1, or the plus, will be those that have been pining for an "All in One" solution for all their grey market streaming needs.

Anyone that buys a T1 to use exclusively for IPTV will like it alot in my opinion. For those people, to me, it will be "the way to go........................"

floder2
04-06-2017, 10:57 PM
Then why do they bother putting any apps into the box..................If they wanted only IPTV capability ..........they could have done just that............

Biglo
04-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Why?

Dreamlink is not marketing the box as an android box that does IPTV. They are marketing it as an IPTV STB that runs on an android platform.

Personally, I like the DOL setup far better than the MAG setup. Its a more "cable-like" experience. Its easier for my wife and kids to use than a MAG.

The only people that will be disappointed with a Dreamlink T1, or the plus, will be those that have been pining for an "All in One" solution for all their grey market streaming needs.

Anyone that buys a T1 to use exclusively for IPTV will like it alot in my opinion. For those people, to me, it will be "the way to go........................"

Pretty much agree with this, i just use my unit to watch TV nothing else really. I gonna get the plus just for the PVR features, I really want them. I notice its not for pre-order anymore so I'm going to order me one of them so. I will I was actually able to see it in action but with these things people rarely so what they are capable of so we are only left with specs and hearsay until you get it in your hands for your self.

NBS
04-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Why?

And you know what the marketing plan was?...lol

veronicas
04-07-2017, 07:28 PM

But that IS how it's being advertised. As an Android box that you can add apps and Kodi to. How does that NOT imply competition with Android boxes? Its advertised in a way that says it has so many extra apps and capabilities. But I actually do agree with the statement that it probably should be a DOL only box. Its a shame that they don't just do 'one thing amazingly' instead of doing two things satisfactory. Then adding more, once one thing is perfect.

But folks we gotta remember that just because you don't use it, it doesn't mean that others don't. As someone that sets up and sells many boxes, I can confirm that 75% of my customers have been asking specifically about the apps, and Kodi 17. Check other forums, and reddit. It's a leading question for sure. I think a lot of the concerns are coming from the confusion regarding the planned (aborted?) Lollipop upgrade.

Cheers.

crazy carl
04-07-2017, 08:39 PM
Haven't really had a chance to see these in action yet, but word on the street is that the pvr does currently work as long as you are on the program that you want to record, there is no current way to set a time recording or set a reminder to record for another channel. With the newness of the box I look to see if this can be done as it would be a true innovation.