PDA

View Full Version : Giving the TVONLINE4 Static IP

Dxhound
02-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Hi:

New to IPTV and to the forums here, and I just got my AVOV TVONLINE4 hooked up. While it is up and running, I have tried and tried to give the box a static IP without success. When I go to the settings for the Network, I select the Network that I want it to connect to and then select Static IP. But for some strange reason it will pick it's own IP and it's not the IP I want it to have. I see no place in the Network settings where I can manually select the IP.

Has anyone found a way to specify the IP it will use and not the default address.

One other item of interest, on the main screen with menu selections on the bottom and the weather display in the middle, how do you change the city and weather. For some reason it seems to pick random cities and their current weather, but I see no spot where I can actually change the location.

Also another strange occurrence is happening, the Mac Address as per the settings screen in the AVOV box 00:1A: 79.... is not what the router is reporting. For some strange reason the router is reporting the Mac Address as CC:79:CF......

Any info or guidance in the above matters would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Marley
02-11-2017, 04:16 PM
how heck is it doing that Mac Address as CC:79:CF...... think is your provider

SebsiBC
02-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Are you connecting wired or wirelessly? If wirelessly, that mac will be different than the wired one, which is the one displayed on the setup screens, I believe.

As for the weather, I never did quite understand where they were getting their info from but it was never accurate for my area so I ignored it.

Not sure about the static ip issue. Dont have a v4 here currently to look at.

kens
02-11-2017, 10:11 PM
00:1A:79 is the Software MAC# for TVONLINE Process.
Other number is the physical box number for the NIC.

Static IP Requires your router to not have DHCP enabled.
Setting this to static requires any other device on your network to have static IP set.
/kens

Dxhound
02-11-2017, 10:58 PM
I don't think it would be the provider since the actual box is the one that has the Mac Addresses.

Mike

Dxhound
02-11-2017, 11:04 PM
I am connecting wireless. I would think that it should be the same but what you say does make sense. However the provider requires the Mac Address so I them what the router was actually seeing, then I saw the Mac Address in the Setup Screen, so I know they have both. If I do a Mac Address the 00:1A: Address is for AVOV, and the other Address is for some other Company. Really Strange. The weather for some reason has just changed to my town in the last few hours, so I am making headway. Thanks for the info.

Mike

Dxhound
02-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Kens

Strange that it would have 2x Mac Addresses. I have DHCP disabled in the router. All other devices that use the router all have Static IP. You might be wondering why I went the route I have gone is, that I have a few programs that will not work without being a Static IP so I moved everything in the house to Static IP's and never had a problem. I am just wondering though about this AVOV Box. Tomorrow once the wife takes off for church, I am going to shut the Router down and delete the AVOV and reboot with the AVOV off line and then bring it back it. However you would think that there should be a spot where I can manually enter in the IP address for the AVOV box. If I select Static in the setup it does not connect, only connects when I have DHCP selected. Any other piece of gear ie computer etc allows you to manually enter in a static IP number but this box does not for some strange reason. Thanks for the assistance.

Mike

Dxhound
02-12-2017, 12:52 AM
Well I am making headway. I have finally gotten the Router and the ONLINE4 to work on a static IP. I had to use the Mac Address of CC:79:CF:7D:C1:E8 which is the Mac Address that the router is seeing from the ONLINE4. Note though this is not the MAC Address that is displayed on the ONLINE4 Settings Screen. Rather strange but at least it is working the way I want. Still found it rather strange that the only way I could get it to work is input the Mac Address into the Router and select the Static IP I wanted it to use. It would not connect unless I turned the router setting back to DHCP. But it took the IP so that is good. Thanks to all who had assistance in solving my problem.

Mike

desiboy1
02-12-2017, 01:03 AM
Mine reads different mac aswel using wired and wifi. never had any issue with dhcp

juan_vale
02-12-2017, 02:41 AM
00:1A:79 is the Software MAC# for TVONLINE Process.
Other number is the physical box number for the NIC.

Static IP Requires your router to not have DHCP enabled.
Setting this to static requires any other device on your network to have static IP set.
/kens

I use static IP's on some of my devices in my red, but not all... if I have a visitor who wants to use the wifi he connects via DHCP. I assign static IP's outside the DHCP range to avoid conflicts. The decision that a device works static or DHCP is made in the device. If you make your modem to only use static, then the owner has to assign the IP number, which might be inconvenient.