PDA

View Full Version : Fake Mag 256?

izri
12-20-2016, 06:47 AM
I hope someone perhaps can help me with the next:

I have purchased a Mag256. But it has no Mag logo on the front of the box.
So there is no ''Mag256'' on the front of the box. Could it be a clone?
And the mouse on the remote controle also doesn't work.
When i'm on an internet page, there is the mouse arrow wich stays there and i can't move it.

It has also only has one usb 3.0 port on the front and no other usb port on the back.
I read everywhere on the internet that the Mag256w1 has a usb3.0 port and a usb2.0 port.
This one has just one usb-port.

Thanks in advance

greg
12-20-2016, 01:45 PM
look on the bottom is there a infomir logo sticker

izri
12-20-2016, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the reaction. Yes it has a rainbow-like sticker on the bottom with ''Infomir'' on it.
But why does it have only 1 usb-port? It is a usb3 -port. And it is a MAG256w1. So wifi is built in it.
But on the internet all the MAG256w1 i have found do have 2 usb-ports. One on the back and one on the front.
And i thought all the MAG devices do have the logo on the front with the number of the version.
So this one should have ''MAG256'' on the front as a logo. Or am i worrying about nothing?

greg
12-20-2016, 10:33 PM
where did you buy the mag 256

izri
12-21-2016, 04:54 AM
My last post was deleted because of the link to the store i put in it. Sorry.
I bought the MAG256w1 from Amazon Germany. If you go to amazon*de (*is ofcourse DOT) and you just fill in ''MAG256w1'',
you will see the device i bought. You can then see it has on the back no usb port, only the usb3.0 on the front.
And also you'll see it has no Logo on the front.

crazed 9.6
12-21-2016, 05:15 AM
thnx izri

good information too, thnx :)

Bkman2020
12-21-2016, 10:39 PM
show us a pic of the front and back of the box

izri
12-21-2016, 11:33 PM
Please read my last post. The MAG i have is the same one as on the pic. I bought it from that seller.

Bkman2020
12-22-2016, 12:59 AM
Its notfake go to infomir site its a modified version .

Bkman2020
12-22-2016, 01:58 AM
Read here :
http://www.infomir.eu/eng/products/iptv-stb/mag-257/#w1w2

izri
12-22-2016, 04:25 AM
Thanks for pointing it out. I allready knew it was modified version. Unlike the standard MAG256 it has a built in wifi-antenna.
But i am still wondering why it has no logo on the front like any other MAG box.
Anyhow, i have decided to return it. It also has other problems, like freezing up and giving me a black picture.
I often read on the internet that people have problems with the 256. Also on this forum you can see that people do have problems with this box.

Bkman2020
12-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Could be deffective or a knock off

flaco
12-22-2016, 09:41 PM
there is no mouse on mag 256 and there is no logo at front of mag. the logo is on top of the box. also it should bring 2 AAA informir battery

izri
12-23-2016, 04:15 AM
Could be. I am not sure. Back it goes anyhow.

izri
12-23-2016, 04:19 AM
Check the internet and you will see all MAG boxes do have a logo on the front and on top. And how do you know the MAG256 has no mouse?
When i start the box, and start the internet browser, i can see the arrow of the mouse.
But i canĀ“t move it with the remote when clicking the arrow button on the remote.

veronicas
01-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Disregard about people saying its a "fake". I just went through this process with infomir over my 256w1 which also had only 1 USB, and no logo on front, the " MAG" letters logo on the top case.
I emailed back and forth, sending all the different numbers on the sticker, and the numbers in the settings area. They were surprised that I had already received one, because apparently they are "newer". Confirmed legit device. Only 1x USB (although it says 2x on infomirs site and most sellers sites)

So anyone who finds this in the future, hopefully this will reduce your stress xD

Cheers!

izri
01-25-2017, 10:47 PM
Disregard about people saying its a "fake". I just went through this process with infomir over my 256w1 which also had only 1 USB, and no logo on front, the " MAG" letters logo on the top case.
I emailed back and forth, sending all the different numbers on the sticker, and the numbers in the settings area. They were surprised that I had already received one, because apparently they are "newer". Confirmed legit device. Only 1x USB (although it says 2x on infomirs site and most sellers sites)

So anyone who finds this in the future, hopefully this will reduce your stress xD

Cheers!

Ok, thanks for the information. Besides the fake or not fake Mag, the Mag 256w1 has a lot if issues. It freezes often and it restarts sometimes on its own. Lots of people
have those issues with that box. I have stopped using it. It will return to the store before february 1st.
People saying that the Mag 254 is the most stable of all the Mag boxes. I heard the Mag 250 is great too.
I will buy a different brand now.

veronicas
01-31-2017, 08:04 PM
It sure does have some issues. Have you tried the beta "a7.10" I posted in here in the 256 forum?? The factory reset procedure should be performed after upgrading (instructions in my post). Download the bios file from thenapster 256 section, firmware is also there. Follow directions exactly.

Give that a try! A LOT of the issues were fixed. The box no longer turns off/on when I turn my TV on/off. (HDMI CEC). YouTube works good.

Not sure if this affects you but change the "remote control" to the other setting in the inner portal, which then changed all the on screen buttons to match my remote buttons (mine came default set to the 254 remote, which had different button icons than my 256 remote. Makes things WAY less confusing lol

The best box to have is the Dreamlink T1. By far. I bought one a few weeks ago and I'm pretty impressed. Compatible with all stalker servers.

Cheers

izri
02-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Ok, thanks for the directions and the information. I have not tried the beta "a7.10" update. I didn't know about it. I tried some of the other firmwares wich are able to be picked from the update section on the box itself.
I tried the previous update from may or something. The latest update i think is the one from august 2016. I tried the one before that. Did not help.
the box still showed the same issues. And i did change the remote from the remote option in the box, matching the remote that came with the box.
My Mag256w1 has almost reached the store it came from. I am going to have a good look around for iptv players now. It may become the Dreamlink T1, or the Formuler 4k iptv box.
Or maybe even another box. For now i am using the "Smart-STB" app on my Samsung tv. That is a Mag simulating app. It has the same menu's as the Mag boxes. Only difference is that
it never freezes or restarts on its own, lol.