PDA

View Full Version : What pistol for woman open carry?

11-23-2016, 09:45 PM
What is a good pistol for a woman to carry open or conceal. Not to big but effective if needed. NEver had a gun before and wanted to get one before taking the classes.

thank you

Roach46
11-23-2016, 10:06 PM
I suggest going to a local gun show or gun store, and handling a few, to get the feel

Kimbo
11-23-2016, 11:20 PM
smith and wesson 317 airlite is one

ilan
11-24-2016, 12:32 AM
There are a lot of good candidates out there. Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Walther, Sig and Glock are probably the best candidates, and they all have more than one model that would fit the bill. As Roach suggested, a reputable gun shop would be a good place to start your search.

11-27-2016, 02:56 AM
Thank you for all of the replies. Gun shop we are headed, just didn't want to be a idiot about them but I guess I am so why hide it!

Deadwood
10-29-2019, 01:20 PM
I would suggest a derringer, its very small, easy to carry, carry it anywhere as it could be used as a hideout gun where space is minimal. It comes in several calibers and a 45 caliber blank would make more than enough noise to warn anyone off before firing a live round as a last resort.

4me2c
10-29-2019, 02:27 PM
Lol, if They haven't gotten one in 3 years, kinda doubtful They Still need one...!

floder2
10-29-2019, 03:43 PM
I would suggest a Smith and Wesson 44 magnum revolver ......You could call yourself Dirty Mary

Deadwood
03-03-2020, 12:05 AM
Lol, if They haven't gotten one in 3 years, kinda doubtful They Still need one...! For those who lost, had one stolen or take longer than 3 years to make a decision or save enough to buy one. Walter PPK 380 would be a very good, reliable choice without waking up the entire neighbourhood or the one that's about to be shot.

12icer
03-24-2020, 02:50 AM
Give ANY woman a CCP and a KIMBER compact in .45, .40, 0r 9mm. A .380+p capable with critical defense ammo is good for any woman who cant handle high recoil. The reliability, the grip safety and quality are worth the price. Put a first focal plane red dot, or a green laser preferably a Viridian Weapon Technologies X5L Gen 3 Green Laser Sight w/ Tactical Light. It wont fit some, but it is a really great weapon in itself. Point, flash blind, green dot shoot, --dead assailant if that's the desired outcome.

03-25-2020, 04:27 PM
I would suggest a derringer, its very small, easy to carry, carry it anywhere as it could be used as a hideout gun where space is minimal. It comes in several calibers and a 45 caliber blank would make more than enough noise to warn anyone off before firing a live round as a last resort.

Thanks that is a great suggestion, also safer for the most part.

03-25-2020, 04:30 PM
Lol, if They haven't gotten one in 3 years, kinda doubtful They Still need one...!

Actually, I am still looking looking and trying to get the wife to carry one. The derringer with a blake is great for her. Also other people ar still viewing this thread and this may assist others in there search.

03-25-2020, 04:35 PM

Actually, I am still looking looking and trying to get the wife to carry one. The derringer with a blake is great for her. Also other people are still viewing this thread and this may assist others in there search.

4me2c
03-25-2020, 06:09 PM
After 3 Years and Still Searching...?!? Are You Sure You Want Her to have One...??? ;)

12icer
03-26-2020, 04:05 AM
If you go for a derringer, you should check the way it fires, any live chamber gun should not be used by someone who is not aware of it's shortcomings like a hard blow on an exposed hammer, ETC. One with a transfer bar controlled by the selector would be preferable. The small 22 mags with a cylinder are a good choice if handled properly, and are not limited to just two shots. But if it is open carry why limit the available reliability, knockdown and ease of target acquisition.

My CCP carry is one of two, a (high standard double nine 3" 22 Long rifle revolver. Absolute reliability, 9 shots less weight than a can of Vienna sausage, pocket size). Or a SW Military Police special 41 mag nickel plated with custom wood grips. The 41 has half the recoil of the 44 and 3/4 the knockdown.

My wife has a Llama Mini max 45acp 9 shot 4" it is almost like a Colt 1911 commander but has more shots. It has a lot of recoil for her but she can handle it with two hands and nobody will stand up for a second shot. I cut the end of the hardballs to spread fast.

04-01-2020, 10:19 PM
After 3 Years and Still Searching...?!? Are You Sure You Want Her to have One...??? ;)

I 'm sure but she is not, that's why I think the derringer may get her on board

04-01-2020, 10:21 PM
If you go for a derringer, you should check the way it fires, any live chamber gun should not be used by someone who is not aware of it's shortcomings like a hard blow on an exposed hammer, ETC. One with a transfer bar controlled by the selector would be preferable. The small 22 mags with a cylinder are a good choice if handled properly, and are not limited to just two shots. But if it is open carry why limit the available reliability, knockdown and ease of target acquisition.

My CCP carry is one of two, a (high standard double nine 3" 22 Long rifle revolver. Absolute reliability, 9 shots less weight than a can of Vienna sausage, pocket size). Or a SW Military Police special 41 mag nickel plated with custom wood grips. The 41 has half the recoil of the 44 and 3/4 the knockdown.

My wife has a Llama Mini max 45acp 9 shot 4" it is almost like a Colt 1911 commander but has more shots. It has a lot of recoil for her but she can handle it with two hands and nobody will stand up for a second shot. I cut the end of the hardballs to spread fast.

Thanks more great information