PDA

View Full Version : The Arrival

Capt.Kangaroo
11-21-2016, 06:02 AM
2 hours and 19 minutes of my life wasted....:(
I wanted it to be great, So disappointed.
You've been warned
The End

ilan
11-21-2016, 01:57 PM
That's bad news. I was looking forward to it, too! :(

theone
11-21-2016, 02:09 PM
2 hours and 19 minutes of my life wasted....:(
I wanted it to be great, So disappointed.
You've been warned
The End

You pooper lmfao. I was hoping for it to be a good movie and you've gone and ruined it. Oh well, I guess I wont be watching that one lol.

crazed 9.6
11-21-2016, 02:40 PM
thnx Captain.
I started watching this but soon saw that you are correct. Had to turn the channel :)

Kimbo
11-21-2016, 04:09 PM
I started watching but it was on cam and i just turned it off. another great story line wasted!!

theone
11-21-2016, 05:20 PM
Its funny how when watching the trailer, its looks like a really good movie only to be disappointed. It happens all the time.

Capt.Kangaroo
11-21-2016, 06:43 PM
I started watching but it was on cam and i just turned it off. another great story line wasted!!
I watched a cam version,wasn't bad visually but the audio sucked.
I love scifi films and tried my best to get through it.My wife was giving me hell...turn this crap off. lol
I should've listened to her.:rolleyes:
It really is an awful movie and it could've been great. One of the worst I've watched in many years.:(

Its funny how when watching the trailer, its looks like a really good movie only to be disappointed. It happens all the time.

The trailer is much better.....

theone
11-21-2016, 07:05 PM
I took like a nice SciFi flick especially the Star Wars and Star Trek Reboot Movies.

ilan
11-21-2016, 07:14 PM
Yep, I bet good looking trailers have hoodwinked a lot of people.

Marley
11-21-2016, 08:14 PM
waste of my time

Kimbo
11-22-2016, 03:07 PM
The book was better, this is more of a love story than a scifi, But I'm with you Captain if it is about space I will watch it, hell I'm still (re)watching "the Martian"..LOL

Marley
11-23-2016, 01:58 AM
look i still watch planet 9 but maybe it was me thinking this was going to be a good movie boy was i wrong preview got to me never again

Hania22
12-17-2016, 12:09 PM
A smart, beautiful looking film with a praiseworthy change of message from the usual science fiction films.

crazed 9.6
01-29-2017, 09:33 PM
Had to watch this again, since a quality version surfaced awhile ago.

It still did not bring the anticipated excitement, but it was not too bad.
I like the different angle they had with the aliens and their agenda.
They had alot hanging on the balance, if them language techs did not get this figured out, then humanity would have been doomed.
We did not know it, but Amy Adams character had the answers years ago, or visions years ago... and did not even know .... That was a kind of confusing as it went, but was a major part of the story, as we found out.

Not my favourite aliens flic, but was much better in this quality version.

dara
01-29-2017, 10:10 PM
It was ok, but Close Encounters... and Contact did the story better. I think the xenophobia was overblown, how long does it take to figure out there was nothing going to happen if the visitors were doing anything. Realistically, would the USA just send a mere colonel to command the site, while the Chinese send their top general to theirs?

ilan
02-03-2017, 04:58 PM
SPOILERS.....SPOILERS...SPOILERS

I liked this a bit better than most folks here. The movie was pretty complex. It took time and reflection on my part to realize the flashbacks weren't flashbacks but were Louise's "contemporary" experiences, since the aliens had given her the power/ability to immerse herself simultaneously in the past, present and future. (To the aliens, time is asynchronous.) This, of course, is how Louise got the information from the Chinese general that ultimately saved the day. She stepped into the "future" to get information to use in the "present."

It was pretty profound when she asked Ian if he'd choose to live a life if he already knew every twist and turn it would take. She, in fact, was doing just that: She knew they would break up. She knew their daughter would die. She knew when she told Ian of her acquired ability, it would end their relationship. All in all...pretty cool...

I liked the visual depiction of the aliens, too: Just enough to make them salient but not a CGI tour de force, as is usually the case.

extreme24
02-05-2017, 02:37 AM
SPOILERS.....SPOILERS...SPOILERS

I liked this a bit better than most folks here. The movie was pretty complex. It took time and reflection on my part to realize the flashbacks weren't flashbacks but were Louise's "contemporary" experiences, since the aliens had given her the power/ability to immerse herself simultaneously in the past, present and future. (To the aliens, time is asynchronous.) This, of course, is how Louise got the information from the Chinese general that ultimately saved the day. She stepped into the "future" to get information to use in the "present."

It was pretty profound when she asked Ian if he'd choose to live a life if he already knew every twist and turn it would take. She, in fact, was doing just that: She knew they would break up. She knew their daughter would die. She knew when she told Ian of her acquired ability, it would end their relationship. All in all...pretty cool...

I liked the visual depiction of the aliens, too: Just enough to make them salient but not a CGI tour de force, as is usually the case.

I Must Say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i watched stoned at first, didn't get it, watched with a cup of coffee and didn't get it,,,,,,,, just watch again after reading your post...........BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the enlightenment lol lol.............. Great movie lol