PDA

View Full Version : New epg updater needs tweaking.

zdcyclops
05-08-2016, 03:41 AM
Hey all, the new updater seems to be having birthing pains. The main drawbacks as I see them are the guide is way too short should have a minimum length of 72 hrs. would be better yet if guide were a full week long. It would increase download time but would only need to be done once a week and could be rotated by Mac or order number so that users would not back-up server once a week. Someone could write a script to update guide only when it is ready to expire and do it at shut down not start up. As it stands now sometimes the guide is perfect then it updates and looses most of the listings and to get them back you spend time fudging with it to get it to load a good guide. The old method was quite robust and worked well. i would like to thank all those who give of their time talent to teach and improve the site and functionality of the service which I find to be outstanding, I'm telling ya its' better than beer.

psycon
05-09-2016, 02:11 AM
the 2 day pull is updated daily,, the epg downloader also downloads that pull it on load, and again daily as well.. so im not sure wy you would want to pull a weeks worth, in a week..

That being said, when the new version of pvr.stalker.nfps (that has recording abilities) is ready for release I may add a 1 or 2 week pull, until then, there is no reason to know whats on next tuesday at 7, people only want to know whats on now.

also.. the server EPG is a 14 day pull, if you want a longer grab use it, but a longer grab means longer load time.. not only the download time of the data, but every time you open the grid view EPG screen..

tuxen
05-09-2016, 05:19 AM
server epg.. its non existent here lol

to the op: it does not help to update the guide only when it expires that way you would first have 3 days of info on day two 2 days of info, on day 3 only 24 hours of info. you need to update the guide every day to be able to see 3 days ahead which is the point of a epg. there is nothing wrong with the plugin.

tuxen
05-09-2016, 09:30 AM
until then, there is no reason to know whats on next tuesday at 7, people only want to know whats on now.

sorry psycon but sometimes you assume whats useful to you also counts for others. by that statement you also say there is no use for tv guides, I wonder why tv-guides are one of the most sold magazines then. so ordinary people do not want to know what is on this next Friday/Saturday night they can chill out to after work? what day it was the game was on or the new series you only catch the name from, or maybe something is on for the kids you can enjoy together. its not likely I or anybody I know want to record anything unless maybe they are not at home, but I would like to know what is on, not just now (I can usually guess that) or next.

iptv66 has the same provider guide with a few odd ones strecting to the 12'th, I can also live with 2 days that sometimes run out fine. but your assumption or reasoning to others is not always right.
saying that you guys will have to live with a 2 days pull until a new plugin comes out is enough.
just a heads up. :)

EDIT: I am not saying you need to do 14 day or even 7 days pull, and also not when recording is possible. imho a 4-5 day pull is enough if the file is regularly updated so there is a larger chance everybody gets a file from the current date and forward. thanks for your work btw. and please dont be offended. you made things as easy as possible with your addon, I feel you when I see posts completely misunderstanding things anyway.

to be short, I am not complaining, I am very thankful for what you are kind enough to provide, I am just voicing how others or myself may also use epg services.

zdcyclops
05-11-2016, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the reply psycon I think the problem is the guide does not function as you intended it to on all set ups. On Tuesday May I started Kodi the updater ran and the guide data stopped at 8:00 PM I deleted TV29db epg11db guidezip and epg_xmltv.xml and restarted Kodi. The updater finished and said next update 5-11-2016 at 4:54.
I opened the guide, went to the beginning ( 5-10-2016 5:00AM) guide was blank, remained blank until 5-10-2016 2:00PM then was populated until 8:00 PM 5-11-2016. The problem is that when I start Kodi on the 11th the data past 8:00PM will still be blank it does not update. Please understand I am only trying to understand what the updater is supposed to do. Any epgs that I have used the info in them starts at the beginning i.e a set date/time or the current time, and runs to the end. The Ninja epg used to do this since the new updater it does not for me. The guide has about 39 hrs of data that ends at a certain date and does not update data until that date has passed. It will update for that date if you delete the files it uses. PS the only reason to record is if you are gonna miss a one time event other than that everything is already recorded and available for viewing.
addendum the context menu does not come up on channels with no information n Thank you