PDA

View Full Version : IPTV vs other options?

03-11-2015, 11:47 PM
Trying to learn about IPTV. It seems that IPTV will have the same ECM's down servers and the NFS and Rocket other subs. Is that true or incorrect?

What is the primary advange for IPTV versus let's say a current Rocket server sub?

Does IPTV use a lot of bandwidth? How much if you watch 24/7? Are the channels traceable with a sub as they woul dbe with just the box?

Can you run more than one TV with one IPTV box if the TV's are all SMART TV's?

What is the major advantage with IPTV over Smart TV?

Please answer these questions and do not flame me I have tried to read but did not find these answers to my understanding.

Thank you for you help.

dara
03-12-2015, 05:38 AM
Trying to learn about IPTV. It seems that IPTV will have the same ECM's down servers and the NFS and Rocket other subs. Is that true or incorrect?

- Maybe. Sources are unknown, maybe actual subs. If the stream originates from a NFPS served box, it will experience the same ECM.

What is the primary advange for IPTV versus let's say a current Rocket server sub?

- IPTV is just another alternative. IPTV runs on the internet only, IKS is a combination of Satellite, with shared subscribed keys from the server.

Does IPTV use a lot of bandwidth? How much if you watch 24/7? Are the channels traceable with a sub as they woul dbe with just the box?

- it uses more bandwidth, and if you are concerned about getting tracked, you can be also with IKS. If you are limited on total usage, you may not want to run IPTV.

- If you can distribute the output to other TVs, yes. Nothing different than sending it out from an FTA box.

What is the major advantage with IPTV over Smart TV?

- Smart TVs may use a service like Roku, or other imbeded services. IPTV from NFPS/Rocket is a totally different service, you need a box, or an attached PC for now.

Please answer these questions and do not flame me I have tried to read but did not find these answers to my understanding.

- I don't know your experience, but these are pretty basic answers to basic questions. No flaming intended, but keep reading.

Thank you for you help.

03-13-2015, 08:13 PM
dara,

Thank you greatly for the replies. They are very helpful.

One additional question or an extenision to you answer;

- If you can distribute the output to other TVs, yes. Nothing different than sending it out from an FTA box.

So can it be done to other TV's via wireless or back feed thru existing cable line. I realize the you can not do that with FTA but wondered about the possibility with this type of service. i used to do it with Sat TV in the old days but I did not a sat box at each TV.

Thanks again for you answers.

dara
03-13-2015, 09:08 PM
It depends on the box itself, but most only have HDMI and RCA composite outputs (one brand was reported to have component outputs as well). You can send those outputs to more than 1 tv via splitter/balun/RF modulation. The boxes themselves do not serve/stream out to other IP devices, like a Smart TV. The best solution would be to have individual boxes at each set, just like FTA. The good thing is that you don't have to have individual cables or switches to a dish antenna to each box, you just plug it into your home LAN. I hope that helps.

04-10-2015, 11:01 PM
It depends on the box itself, but most only have HDMI and RCA composite outputs (one brand was reported to have component outputs as well). You can send those outputs to more than 1 tv via splitter/balun/RF modulation. The boxes themselves do not serve/stream out to other IP devices, like a Smart TV. The best solution would be to have individual boxes at each set, just like FTA. The good thing is that you don't have to have individual cables or switches to a dish antenna to each box, you just plug it into your home LAN. I hope that helps.

Thnak you very much for your help.

Deadwood
04-11-2015, 04:13 AM
I would strongly urge those with Smart Tv's to read all license agreements carefully. I read the ones that I had to agree to and found they could collect and use/sell or do as they wish with any and all information collected. I simply connected an older desktop PC with a decent graphics card and connected the Smart Tv to it and used it as a monitor. Same thing, since I could use Netflix or whatever else via the PC instead of using the apps on the Smart Tv. The Smart Tv's have become somebody's scheme to getting marketing information provided by those who blindly agree to whatever they want to write up in their agreements.

04-12-2015, 09:34 PM
I would strongly urge those with Smart Tv's to read all license agreements carefully. I read the ones that I had to agree to and found they could collect and use/sell or do as they wish with any and all information collected. I simply connected an older desktop PC with a decent graphics card and connected the Smart Tv to it and used it as a monitor. Same thing, since I could use Netflix or whatever else via the PC instead of using the apps on the Smart Tv. The Smart Tv's have become somebody's scheme to getting marketing information provided by those who blindly agree to whatever they want to write up in their agreements.

Strongly agree with you , more big brother