PDA

View Full Version : Tv Shows

wickedjoker
03-01-2016, 05:13 PM
Hello Gents, I have a ton of TV shows I watch and wanted to give some feedback on them I will continue to post to this threat so if you have something good please add. I am especially interested in some UK stuff I have just started watching some things over there that the US doesn't have and I got to say I like them even if i don't understand all the geography reference that are used ;)!

HUMANS (2015)

Genre: Drama / Sci-Fi
Actors: Gemma Chan, Katherine Parkinson, Lucy Carless

Plot:n a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a 'Synth' - a highly-developed robotic servant that's so similar to a real human it's transforming the way we live.

My take: Humans is an unexpectedly great show. The reason for this is that it's understated in the technology an emphasizes the humanity. The cast are all from UK and mostly unknown and it allows us to get to know the characters more. I am not sure if the US version is any good but will continue to watch the UK version as I am already invested!

This series is dark and brooding. It raises more questions than it answers with the interaction between the Artificial Intelligence (AI) Synths and the Humans who "employ" them to do ordinary household tasks. Some of these task as you can imagine come into human sexuality and using the synths for sexual pleasure!

The origins of the core group of Synths is a mystery that is weave through the course of this series. There is some limited action, violence and beneath all of that big question about the ghost in the machine. This may be the best follow-up on ideas of sentient robots first presented since Blade Runner.

wickedjoker
03-01-2016, 06:08 PM
You, Me and the Apocalypse (2015)

Genre: Drama / Comedy
Actors: Mathew Baynton, Jenna Fischer, Joel Fry

Plot :Comedy drama about the final days of mankind. Mild-mannered Slough bank manager Jamie is in a rut - albeit a very organised one - consumed by grief for his missing wife. All of that soon changes, however, when he's arrested on suspicion of cyber terrorism and realises that, somehow, he must have an identical twin and that his mum Paula has some serious explaining to do. Halfway around the world in New Mexico, unassuming librarian Rhonda enters a maximum-security prison for a crime she didn't commit and reluctantly falls under the wing of unhinged white supremacist Leanne. At the Vatican, meanwhile, foul-mouthed rebel priest Father Jude interviews the beautiful Sister Celine for a role in his office of the Devil's Advocate. These are just some of the eclectic and seemingly unconnected characters whose lives will start to intersect in the most unexpected ways as news breaks that a comet is on an unavoidable collision course towards earth and will hit in just 34 days. Some of them are destined to make it to a bunker deep beneath the suburbs of Slough and, as a result, will become the hugely unlikely (and, frankly, somewhat unsuitable) future of mankind.

My take: This is another UK series although I think it is due to launch in the US soon. You, Me, and the Apocalypse is an amazing show that makes you want more and more and more. From the start to the end there are twist and turns that keep you interested in the show. Rob Lowe is excellent in this series and his co-star is all to beautiful. The dynamics of a world event and getting views from all over the world gives you an understanding of how small we really are. If you are bored turn this on get a good laugh! I Love this show.

crazed 9.6
03-01-2016, 06:27 PM
this is great
I just recently finished up on a couple series I had been watching and been looking for a new one or two to get into.
Tried the Lucifer series , which is a new series , only a few episodes so far and the first couple were pretty good, but then the series got old rather quick for me.
Tried this one series called Angel From Hell, about a Guardian Angel whose methods are umm , not so heavenly .... I liked that series but not many episodes.

You, Me and the Apocalypse sounds intriguing :)
Thnx

Found it just now on the Total TV repo that Myst Da Man posted just this morning :)
I see it has a whole season worth of episodes .
Fantastic !!!
Gonna check this one out.

wickedjoker
03-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Hey Crazed I have been watching Lucifer also this is based of a DC comic. I am still giving it a try I don't think it will last with the content that they are showing. I have many many many more to post I watch way to much TV...

crazed 9.6
03-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Hey Crazed I have been watching Lucifer also this is based of a DC comic. I am still giving it a try I don't think it will last with the content that they are showing. I have many many many more to post I watch way to much TV...

Keep em coming wickedjoker :)
Looking forward in reading your reviews on these TV series ... always looking for another good series to watch.

wickedjoker
03-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Black Sails (2014)

Genre: Drama / Adventure
Actors: Jessica Parker Kennedy, Toby Stephens, Hannah New

Plot : Captain Flint and his pirates, twenty years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic "Treasure Island".

My take: I have been hooked on this show since it started. I have gotten others hooked on this show it is very addicting leaving you wanting more. Season 3 just started so there is time to catch up! The actors are terrific and the story line is adult and intriguing. In my opinion the attention to detail rivals such shows as Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead and this show is extremely underrated. Just beware the show is a slow start this is due to plot and character development, but like moths drawn to a flame you will get sucked in. As it says in the plot this is about Treasure Island I have never read the books and this is probably a good thing ill let you decide. If you like adventure shows, pirates, stuff blowing up, and twists on every turn then this show is for you!

wickedjoker
03-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Sense 8 (2015)

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi
Actors: Aml Ameen, Doona Bae, Jamie Clayton

Plot : Sense8 tells the story of eight strangers: Will (Smith), Riley (Middleton), Capheus (Ameen), Sun (Bae), Lito (Silvestre), Kala (Desai), Wolfgang (Riemelt), and Nomi (Clayton). Each individual is from a different culture and part of the world. In the aftermath of a tragic death they all experience through what they perceive as dreams or visions, they suddenly find themselves growing mentally and emotionally connected. While trying to figure how and why this connection happened and what it means, a mysterious man named Jonas tries to help the eight. Meanwhile, another stranger called Whispers attempts to hunt them down, using the same sense 8 power to gain full access to a sense 8's mind (thoughts/sight) after looking into their eyes. Each episode reflects the views of the characters interacting with each other while delving deeper into their backgrounds and what sets them apart and brings them together with the others.

My take: If you like to binge watch episodes this is a great TV series to do it with. Netflix has giving us Sense 8 they released one of the best series ever. Well directed and written, gorgeously shot and edited… From the opening sequence, you know you are watching something very special. If you do not have money to travel this is a great way to explore the world taking place from the US the Uk Japan, India and many other locations.

If you like the idea of seeing what it would be like if we could communicate to each other via telepathy then then this is the show for you but really it is much more than that. It tackles some serious subjects. Homosexuality, transgender relations, racial differences, feminism and deficiency of capitalism. you will grow to care so much for each of the eight and I love how they all complement each other.Give it a try I am sure you will not be disappointed cant wait for the next season to air!

Kimbo
03-02-2016, 04:35 AM
Thank you. Sense 8 is an awesome series...a "got to watch" TV series!!I highly recomend!!

wickedjoker
03-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Outsiders (2016)

Genre: Drama
Actors: Joe Anderson, Ryan Hurst, Kyle Gallner

Plot : A struggle for power and control set in the rugged and mysterious hills of Appalachia, "Outsiders" tells the story of the Farrell clan, a family of outsiders who've been in these parts since before anyone can remember. Living off the grid and above the law on their mountaintop homestead, they'll protect their world and defend their way of life using any means necessary.

My take: This is a WGN show and they have had other great shows like Manhattan. So far the show is great the character development seems a little slow but I thinks that is because it is leading to a bigger punch at the end of the season. The show is about mountain folks known as the (Farrell) that have not communication with civilization other than to trade/barter needed items. They are sitting on a large coal deposit and the coal company aims to drive them out to get to those resource however the Farrell's wont go easy and this is not there first battle. The best analogy I have heard is it is like "max meets little house on the prairie". Whatever the case this is a great show about anti establishment dealing with family issues lord knows we all have them. I have seen so many mixed reviews on this show and I for one could lean either way at this point don't get me wrong it is interesting series but as I said moves a little slow on character development due to back story information being fed to you.

wickedjoker
03-02-2016, 05:16 PM
11.22.63 (2016)

Genre: Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Actors: James Franco, Sarah Gadon, George MacKay

Plot : High school teacher Jake Epping travels back in time to prevent the assassination of President John F. Kennedy - but his mission is threatened by Lee Harvey Oswald, falling in love, and the past itself, which doesn't want to be changed and shouldn't be changed.
- Written by Hulu

My take: This is a hulu series seems like all the big streamers are on the tv series bandwagon. 11.22.63 is a 9 Part series written by Stephen King who happens to be one of my favorite authors. My excitement only continued to grow when I learned that JJ Abrams and James Franco were attached. That being said, when I sat down to watch it i did not have high hopes going in why because it is hard to translate kings works into shows. At first, my hopes were kind of dwindled. Upon starting the show, I thought that maybe Franco was not the best choice to play Jake Epping. As I continued watching, I noticed that it wasn't Franco, but rather that the show itself felt rushed during the beginning. However, to my viewing pleasure, once Franco totally commits to going back to the 60s (and he shaves that ridiculous goatee) the show really starts to come together. There are a lot of moving parts to this show as who wouldn't want to try and change items that bothered you if you could go back in the past. The distractions that Franco character faces are one of the heart and of the past pushing back on him. Overall, the show kept me thoroughly entertained for an hour and twenty minutes. So, if you can sit through about 10 minutes of a rushed plot, then I would definitely recommend giving this show a shot. King, Abrams, and Franco... How could it go wrong?!

wickedjoker
03-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Colony (2016)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Actors: Josh Holloway, Sarah Wayne Callies, Peter Jacobson

Plot : In the not-too-distant future, Los Angeles has been invaded and occupied by outside forces, causing a rift between the city's residents; some have collaborated with the occupation, while others are rebelling and suffering the consequences that come with that choice.

My take: I have watched 7 episodes I keep waiting for something to really strike me but alas I am on the brink of giving up on this series. The show is watchable but keeping you interested seems to be hard for the writers and cast. When I saw the previews I was thinking it would be a series like falling sky's wow was I way off. Don't you just hate it when aliens take over the entire earth and yet the producers of this well below average sci-fi series don't ever show the aliens. The drones are always late when something major happens for a superior race that conquered the earth in the matter of hours it seems there would be more happening. Maybe I need more back story maybe this is just a low budge sci-fi flick that had so much potential but fell short. I would say stay away from this one save your viewing time for something better.

wickedjoker
03-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Banshee (2013)

Genre: Action, Crime, Drama
Actors: Antony Starr, Ivana Milicevic, Ulrich Thomsen

Plot : Lucas Hood (Antony Starr), an ex-con and master thief assumes the identity of a murdered sheriff where he continues his criminal activities. His past seems to haunt him by those he betrayed years earlier. This ex-con imposes his own brand of justice where violence erupts at every turn in the not so quiet Amish town, Banshee, Pennsylvania.

My take: Best show ever! I am sure there are other but this show is hands down great, and this is because of its ruthless pace in the story line. Speaking of the very 1st episode within 5min from the start what we get to see is, an Ex-con, Drugs, sex, nail biting car chase, fraudulent identity and some hand to hand action which make us believe that every object around us is a deadly weapon. Well, now you can make an estimation of the pace of the story telling. No need to say about the intensity of the thrills.

Lucas Hood is like Jason Bourne but more explosive you can't help but want his character to win. You will get sucked in within 5 minutes of the show. You will binge watch this show and when you are done you will want more! If you have not seen this series yet I will say this stop what you are doing and turn it on. The new season starts in 30 days from today...

wickedjoker
03-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Penny Dreadful (2014)

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Horror
Actors: Josh Hartnett, Timothy Dalton, Eva Green

Plot : Penny Dreadful is a powerfully written saga filled with dark mystery and suspense. It lives in a demimonde — a half world between reality and the supernatural — where personal demons from the past can be stronger than vampires, evil spirits and immortal beasts.

My take: If you are in to supernatural shows this is the one for you! what does a werewolf, vampire, supernatural immortal, and medium have in common? I don't know but the show is going to tell us! The story captures you entirely, it tenses your moral beliefs and makes you see a side of you which, in some cases, has never emerged, or, if it did, it will be like candy for children. The characters are immortal, at least the main cast. The way they can evolve is a tribute to the writer, director, producer and more importantly to them, as they go beyond themselves as individuals and become even more than a true character, they become immortal. Eva Green...was made for this role, or maybe the other way around... The historical aspect brings front characters of tales and stories, of mythological and biblical implications fluctuating the narrative line between the world of the living and that of the dead...or undead.

before watching this there was an interview with the creator of this series and he explains so elegantly what a penny dreadful was and how he came up with this idea. If you can find it on youtube watch it before starting the series so you can get some context.

Kimbo
03-02-2016, 07:39 PM
The Strain (2014-___)

Genre: Horror
Actors: Corey Stoll, David Bradley, MÃ*a Maestro,Kevin Durand,Jonathan Hyde,Richard Sammel,Sean Astin

Plot: A thriller that tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers, wage war for the fate of humanity itself.

My Take: Very good series, the books were much better but when was a time the movie/tv series live up to the book :rolleyes: It's a new look at the Vampire Genre which already overly saturated but this series is as realistic as a this genre can be. Low budget but with better graphics than any scifi show, acting is good with Corey Stoll as Dr. Ephraim "Eph" (good upcomming actor) and Kevin Durand as Vasiliy Fet. They could had casted a better actor for Professor Abraham Setrakian but David Bradley did an ok job. KoolKaTt and I used to discuss this series because it of the catchy storyline. Season 1-2 are available while "The Strain" season 3 premieres in the summer of 2016.

wickedjoker
03-02-2016, 07:41 PM
I didn't know it was from a book series I may have to check them out. Yes I love the new looks of the vampires they are more parasitic!

wickedjoker
03-03-2016, 10:27 PM
Zoo (2015)

Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Actors: James Wolk, Kristen Connolly, Nonso Anozie

Plot : Violent animal attacks upon humans are occurring all over the world. Jackson Oz, an American zoologist who offers safaris in Africa, begins to notice the animals' strange behavior and takes it upon himself to solve the reason why before these attacks become more coordinated and ferocious.

My take: Zoo is a different animal I love the very premise of this series - that after years of torture and abuse the animals have had enough. Learning to cooperate and communicate with each other forcing mankind to adept or die. The show involves numerous species on a global scale, from our beloved house cats to lions in Africa. These animals are thinking, plotting, strategizing. It has some new twist and unlike planet of the apes these animals can not talk they have other means of communication that a small group of people are trying to figure out. I cant say enough good things about this show I would highly recommend it and give some major credit to all the animal trainers and actors and actresses that have to interact with them.

wickedjoker
03-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Mr. Robot (2015)

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Actors: Rami Malek, Christian Slater, Portia Doubleday

Plot : Elliot Alderson is a young cyber-security engineer living in New York, who assumes the role of a vigilante hacker by night. Elliot meets a mysterious anarchist known as "Mr. Robot" who recruits Elliot to join his team of hackers, "fsociety". Elliot, who has a social anxiety disorder and connects to people by hacking them, is intrigued but uncertain if he wants to be part of the group. The show follows Mr. Robot's attempts to engage Elliot in his mission to destroy the corporation Elliot is paid to protect. Compelled by his personal beliefs, Elliot struggles to resist the chance to take down the multinational CEOs that are running (and ruining) the world.

My take: This is an intense series it is a combination of fight club meets hackers. This show airs on the USA network which is amazing they had the nerve to take the risk on this show. The acting is spot on I am a fan of Christian Slater and really everyone in this cast. You will not be disappointed in this show at all if you are a tech savvy user of the internet, smart phones or computers this is an absolute MUST see. Even for those of you not so tech savvy please give this a go!

Kimbo
03-09-2016, 02:52 PM
You're the Worst (2014-__)

Genre: Comedy
Actors: Chris Geere, Aya Cash, Desmin Borges, Kether Donohue

Plot:You’re the Worst is a comedic love story about what happens when two toxic, self-destructive people(Cash and Geere) fall in love despite themselves and attempt the impossible—a relationship.

Laser Take: One of the best comedies to come out in recent years, a little raunchy but the writing is superb. The actors a not well known which adds to my interest and they play the parts so well so kudos to the casting. I highly recommend you watch the first year and can assure you that you will become a fan!!

wickedjoker
03-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Bates Motel (2013)

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller
Actors: Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore, Max Thieriot

Plot : "Bates Motel" is a contemporary prequel to the genre-defining film "Psycho," and gives a portrayal of how Norman Bates' (Freddie Highmore) psyche unravels through his teenage years. Fans discover the dark, twisted backstory of Norman Bates and how deeply intricate his relationship with his mother, Norma (Vera Farmiga), truly is.

My take: Season 4 just started and wow did it start with a bang! Bates Motel is the prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's (Psycho 1960) giving you incite into the Norman and Norma bates and there twisted relationship. I think that the actors are brilliant. The cast seems to have been carefully chosen, as the mother (Vera Farmiga) suits the role very well and the actor who plays Norman (Freddie Highmore) is absolutely perfect for the role. He is endearingly awkward. As you begin to learn more about the characters you get sucked in and what can I say you want just a little more time with the show. This could have easily been a CW or MTV show so glad it wast if you are worried about the teenage aspect of this show you will be pleasantly surprised that its not that kind of show it is truly dark and twisted from start to finish.

wickedjoker
03-09-2016, 06:55 PM
The Affair (2014)

Actors: Dominic West, Ruth Wilson, Maura Tierney

Plot : The affair explores the emotional effects of an extramarital relationship between Noah (Dominic West), a dissolute schoolteacher and novelist, and Alison (Ruth Wilson), a waitress trying to piece her life and marriage back together in the wake of tragedy.

My take: This is not your typical show each 30 minute segment is dedicated to Either Noah or Alison and it is from there vantage point on how they see thing basically 2 sides to the same story. You definitely need to have your full attention when watching this series or you will get lost. The first season is how they meet and some drama happens season 2 is the aftermath. We will soon be starting season 3 and I for one cant wait. I hope you give this series a try just be aware of what you are getting into it starts slow but you need that build up. The show is an hour long but you are getting 30 minutes from each side of the affair and how they see it. You need to pay attention you cant be the dog from up and go squirrel or you will miss something important. I hope you enjoy this series as much as I do.

wickedjoker
04-11-2016, 07:35 PM
The Girlfriend Experience (2016)

Actors: Riley Keough, Paul Sparks, Briony Glassco

Plot : Christine Reade is a law student and an intern at a prestigious firm but her focus quickly shifts when a classmate introduces her to the world of transactional relationships. Known as GFEs, they are women who provide "The Girlfriend Experience" - emotional and sexual relationships at a price. Juggling two lives, Christine is drawn into the GFE world, attracted to the rush of control and intimacy.

My take: This is a brand new series from Starz which has brought use great shows like Spartacus, Outlander and BlackSails. Let me start off by saying they try hard to show the experience from the girls point of view how she gets into the line of work and why she is doing it. I have only seen 2 30 minute episodes and it seems good so far and from what I see her world will eventually get torn into pieces when the law firm she is working for tries to tear her apart. Of course with a show like this its not only drama but there is a lot of sex scenes and wow I give Riley Keough mad props for the acting she has done so far. To go from a 1 night stand that didn't mean anything to full on prostitution for money and look on her face is priceless as you can see the emotion is just gone its nothing more than mechanics by the end of episode two. If you have not seen or so not know about this series give it a try I think with a person with that kind of life the series could go on for a while or at least I hope it does!

wickedjoker
04-13-2016, 09:26 PM
The Detour (2016_)

Genre: Comedy
Actors: Jason Jones, Natalie Zea, Ashley Gerasimovich

Plot : The Detour is a what-in-the-living-hell-is-wrong-with-this-family comedy created by comic super-couple Jason Jones & Samantha Bee and inspired by their own experiences with family trips. Jones stars as unfiltered dad Nate, who hits the road with wife Robin (Natalie Zea) and kids Delilah (Ashley Gerasimovich) and Jared (Liam Carroll). Every leg of their trip is fraught with disaster as they encounter one hellish turn after another. If there's trouble on the road, this family will find it and plow into it.

My take: Laugh Out Loud that's it..... I seriously could not stop laughing it is so refreshing to get a whitey comedy like this. As you guys have probably seen I really don't watch much comedy movies just look at what I have reviewed this however is just an overall great show. As it says above the whole family is so dysfunctional that it leave you going did they really just say or do that? If you like a good comedy hop on this road trip with me!

wickedjoker
04-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Containment (2016_)

Actors: David Gyasi, Chris Wood, Kristen Gutoskie

Plot : This is a brand new series that follows an epidemic that breaks out in Atlanta, leaving a large part of the large city quarantined and those stuck on the inside fighting for their lives. The drama tells the story of loved ones torn apart, and how the society that grows inside the cordon reveals both the devolution of humanity and the birth of unlikely heroes.

My take: I will be the first to admit this show is probably not for everyone. I am the exception to this because i love me some TV and anything apocalyptic. If you are into the whole, Outbreak, civil unrest end of days type shows then this is for you . so far we are 2 episodes in and I am hooked. I find the main characters are all well written and do an exceptional job not to mention I love me some Claudia Black. even though we are 2 episodes in and we are still dealing with a "real-time" event of this outbreak, but hints from episode one the good old flash forward then flash back gives us some context to what is coming for these survivors. i have high hopes for this show and hope is get a renewal. This show is by no means a Walking Dead or The Strain but more of science fact that in the grand scheme of things we are one event from destroying ourselves and the dead do not come back in this one. If you need a new show this maybe for you....

wickedjoker
04-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Damien (2016_)

Genre: Drama, Horror
Actors: Bradley James, Megalyn Echikunwoke, Omid Abtahi

Plot : After discovering his origins, Damien Thorn must cope with life as the Anti-Christ.

My take: This is a spin from the classic cult move the omen. What if Satan's son was walking among us right now? What would he be like? Would he be evil, or would he be seen as a good, moral man? Would he be aware that he was the Devil's spawn; and if so, would he embrace it, or try to reject his destiny? I can say the show from what I have seen touches basically every question here. I have done 3 episodes so far but can't make enough time for everything hahaha I think the premise of this show is good. Bradley James delivers an excellent performance and the conflict he faces of destiny vs free will is very intriguing me personally i'd just go evil why fight the inevitable!

Kimbo
04-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Spot on Wickedjoker on Containment, just started watching it and it is too early to tell but so far I like it!!

wickedjoker
04-29-2016, 12:12 AM
Ash vs Evil Dead (2015_)

Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Horror
Actors: Bruce Campbell, Ray Santiago, Dana DeLorenzo

Plot : Ash has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity and the terrors of the Evil Dead until a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind and Ash becomes mankind's only hope.

My take: I can't believe I have not reviewed this yet as it is one of my favorites right now. Ok so those who love the original evil dead will love this also. It is the TV series Ash vs Evil Dead staring non other than Bruce Campbell. In my opinion, Ash vs. Evil Dead does everything right. Instead of going down the "gritty drama" route of shows like The Walking Dead or taking the "straight horror" approach of Fede Alvarez' Evil Dead remake, creators Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell fully embrace the over-the-top goofiness and playful tone of Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness. While deliver plenty of GORE and I mean a lot plus some good scares. Who else could play Ash really no one Bruce is the man with the wooden hand!

Ash vs Evil dead brings back everything that I loved about the original Evil Dead films, but it also manages to introduce interesting new characters and story lines which help maintain the element of surprise for long-time fans. And the show works just as well as a stand-alone story. People who have never watch the trilogy need not fear as you wont be lost. But if you haven't seen the original movies i highly suggest you go back and watch them.

wickedjoker
04-29-2016, 12:22 AM
Homeland (2011_)

Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
Actors: Claire Danes, Mandy Patinkin, Rupert Friend

Plot : A bipolar CIA operative becomes convinced a prisoner of war has been turned by al-Qaeda and is planning to carry out a terrorist attack on American soil.

My take: Unless you have been under a rock you probably have heard of this show by now. First off, this is a fast-paced conspiracy thriller with twists and turns at every corner. Claire Danes and Rupert Friend are fantastic. Both characters lead the show, and they keep us watching for their fates will one of them slip up. If you have military background or any type of federal background this show may not be for you it has a bunch of holes but that's not why you want to watch this series it is just written so dang well and leaves you in awe! All in all though, this is worth watching. A very good, sometimes great, first season, but definitely with a lot of problems. I am more than halfway through season one and cant wait to see what they come up with next.

wickedjoker
05-09-2016, 04:20 PM
The Night Manager (2016) Mini Series

Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
Actors: Tom Hollander, Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie

Plot : A night manager of an Egyptian hotel is recruited by intelligence agents to infiltrate an international arms dealer's network.

My take: The Night Manager centers on the story of Jonathan Pine (Tom Hiddleston), who is fed up with the corruption that surrounds him everyday, Until, He meets Sophie who gives him a invoice of weapons that are going to be used tp over throw the Arab Spring. He decides to take action and sends the information to an intelligence agency in England, And in a perfect world that might have been sufficient, but that isn't the case, politicians decide that acting on this Intel might do more harm then good. Soon Pine finds himself working for the intelligence community to bring down an arms dealer.

The storyline is well written, As for the acting cast; Hugh Laurie & Tom Hiddleston do what they do best. This show has great potential and if the writers don't drop the ball, I am sure that we will enjoy it for a long time. This has so many twists and turns you really have to pay attention. I for one will continue to watch.

Kimbo
05-09-2016, 04:37 PM
I saw the previous of night manager, I will put on my list for binge watching at the end of the season!!thanks!!

wickedjoker
05-09-2016, 04:45 PM
i may have to watch the old one I have never seen it. Was the original good?

Kimbo
05-09-2016, 05:14 PM
My bad I meant previews!!

wickedjoker
05-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Doh you got me!

wickedjoker
05-10-2016, 05:36 PM
House of Lies (2012_)

Genre: Comedy, Drama
Actors: Don Cheadle, Kristen Bell, Ben Schwartz

Plot : A subversive, scathing look at a self-loathing management consultant from a top-tier firm. Marty, a highly successful, cutthroat consultant is never above using any means (or anyone) necessary to get his clients the information they want.

My take: House Of Lies is a fun, refreshing, TV series that delivers. I started watching the 1st season when it first aired. The writing is smart, silly, serious and comedic and the actors do a really great job, really good casting. Showtime seems to have the some of the best T.V. Shows on premium cable. I'm looking forward to watching the 5th season and seeing what fun drama Marty Kann and his team get themselves into and how they talk themselves out it and still seal the deal LOL. I love how Marty, Monica and the rest of their family and friends love and respect their son Roscoe's life choice even though they may not agree with it. Over all House Of Lies is a smart well written and acted TV show.

Kimbo
05-10-2016, 05:41 PM
I like house of lies, the wife thinks is too raunchy but i find it funny!!

wickedjoker
05-10-2016, 06:04 PM
Yeah it definitely one that in my top 10. I love how witty the show was written. All the character cracks me up with there little quirks! Plus Kristen Bell is super easy on the eyes!

wickedjoker
05-10-2016, 06:20 PM
The Shannara Chronicles (2016_)

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Actors: Austin Butler, Ivana Baquero, Manu Bennett

Plot : An Elvish tree, known as the Ellcrys, is dying. The bad news is that the tree has been the only piece of magic that protects the Four Lands from the Demon World. Amberle Elessedil is the only one who can save the tree. But she has to unlock magic that the Elves haven't used in thousands of years. With the help of Wil Ohmsford, she travels to find the lost magic. But it won't be an easy task

My take: As someone who has no read any of books the Shannara series, I can say I was pleasantly surprised with this series.

The Good: The Shannara Chronicles is full of spectacle. The sets are detailed and immense, the characters are intriguing, and the CGI is magnificent without being overbearing. The two standouts for me are Allanon and the Dagda Mor. Manu Bennett conveys just the right amount of power and mystery. The Dagda Mor could be one of the coolest villains I've seen in quite a while, and that's just based on what little we've seen of him so far. Another surprising treat is the music. Please note that mankind has fallen and all our old stuff is there and the rise of magic and other events have brought normal human civilization to its knees.

The Bad: As this is an MTV series, it is VERY geared toward the young adult audience. This much is apparent right off the bat. Now while this is a slight "con" for me, it could certainly be conceived as a "pro" for those young adults who strive to watch more on their favorite TV channel than pregnant teens and gyrating pop stars. That being said, there are some very cheesy conversations and "Twilight-y" moments, but not enough to be overwhelming or to make you shy away from the series.

wickedjoker
05-10-2016, 06:37 PM
12 Monkeys (2015_)

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Mystery
Actors: Aaron Stanford, Amanda Schull, Noah Bean |

Plot : The show follows the journey of a time traveler, Cole, from the post-apocalyptic future. Using a dangerous and untested method of time travel, Cole arrives in the present day on a mission to locate and eradicate the source of a deadly plague that will eventually decimate 93.6% of the human race.

My take: Ok First I loved the movie so it natural to assume I would like the TV series also you would be correct. People who have watched the movie by Terry Gilliam already know this story. The premise of a time traveler returning to an earlier period to alter future events is not a new one within the realm of Science Fiction by any stretch of the imagination. What made the movie special was a combination of directorial vision, superb writing, excellent acting, and mood enhancing cinematography - all the requisite elements for delivering an engaging piece of dramatic fiction. It was a story told well with effective pacing which reached a satisfying conclusion within the span of one sitting.

My first thought upon learning this story was being re presented within a re-imagined version spanning an untold number of episodes throughout a television series was that I hoped they would be able to pad it with enough substance for it to maintain interest. I can say they have kept my interest we are on season two and it keeps getting better. The character development is superb and because you are dealing with time travel there are so many things you can do with this series. I hope SyFy can continue to do this series justice and keep it going!

wickedjoker
05-24-2016, 05:50 PM
Preacher (2016_)

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
Actors: Dominic Cooper, Joseph Gilgun, Ruth Negga

Plot :Preacher tells the story of Jesse Custer, a preacher in the small Texas town of Annville. Custer is accidentally possessed by the supernatural creature named Genesis in an incident which killed his entire congregation and flattened his church. Genesis, the product of the unauthorized, unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon, is an infant with no sense of individual will. However, as it is composed of both pure goodness and pure evil, it might have enough power to rival that of God Himself. In other words, Jesse Custer, bonded to Genesis, may have become the most powerful being in the universe.

My take: AMC seems to be turning them out in a good way! This TV series is from a comic series I can honestly say I have never read them so I don't really know to much about the show other than what I have read and what I have watched on this first episode. So does it live up to the comic I have no idea nor will I ever ready them. If you have leave your opinion here I love to read that! Ok on to the meat and potatoes this is a crazy, grotesque, violent and hilarious new AMC fantasy series it is action packed . If you like a high impact series this may do it for you. It wont replace Banshee for me but it is darn good I almost wish HBO or SHO would have picked this up the lack of cursing and nudity for such a film kills me.

I'd say the cast in general is very solid, but the two actors that need to be mentioned most apart from Cooper's preacher are Ruth Negga in the role of Tulip and Joseph Gilgun who plays Cassidy. Both are wicked fun to watch (and obviously they're relishing their parts) and both have completely bonkers introduction scenes for their respective characters that will give audiences a taste of just what kind of crazy, ultra-violent mayhem we're in for with this new show.

wickedjoker
06-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Tyrant (2014_)

Genre: Action, Drama, Thriller
Actors: Adam Rayner, Jennifer Finnigan, Ashraf Barhom

Plot : Bassam Al-Fayeed or Barry, as he is known to his wife Molly and two children Sammy and Emma,has been living a self imposed exile from his Middle Eastern country called Abbudin for 20 years. Although he is the second son of the ruling president, Bassam has no desire to go back home. However, he is compelled to attend his nephew's wedding together with his family on the urging of his mother. The ruling dynasty has been recently plagued by opposition and civilian revolts. So when Barry's father unexpectedly dies, Barry must remain home to advice and support Jamal, his brother and the new president, in order to prevent the country from plunging into war.

My take: FX pulls off another great series there is plenty of action, drama and thrill moments in this series. At it's heart, Tyrant is a story of two royal siblings with different views on how the kingdom should be run, set in a modern world. The show does a great job of portraying the struggles that people face in the middle east. I like that they show western ideology vs a dictatorship ideology if you want to see a great series this is it season 3 will start soon so if you have not been watching this is a good series to binge on.

wickedjoker
08-30-2016, 04:19 PM
The Night Of (2016_) Mini Series

Genre: Crime, Drama
Actors: Riz Ahmed, Peyman Moaadi, Poorna Jagannathan, John Turturro

Plot : Naz is a strait-laced Pakistani-American student who is off to a must-attend party on a Friday night. His only available transportation being his father's taxi cab, Naz sets off into Manhattan. But his party-going plans are quickly forgotten when a mysterious young woman jumps aboard in need of a ride. Charmed by her intense intrigue and good looks, Naz gets swept up by her pressures. After a mind-altering night of drugs and passion, the woman is dead, and Naz finds himself in the crosshairs of a gruesome murder investigation, panicked and shaken, but possibly with a trace of doubt as to his own innocence.

My take: This show is amazing. It's draws you in, puts you in the main characters position and never lets go. The acting is fantastic, the mood, the music the visuals are also great. I watch a lot of shows, most of them are entertaining enough but not very often do I come across a show like this that gets you completely enthralled and then has you screaming at the screen as the end credits role because you cant stand the thought of having to wait 7 days for the next episode. Now that it has ended I encourage you to watch it.

Kimbo
02-28-2017, 06:27 PM
This is us

Genre: Drama/(some comedy)

Starring: Milo Ventimiglia, Mandy Moore, Sterling K. Brown, Chrissy Metz, Justin Hartley, Susan Kelechi Watson, Chris Sullivan and Ron Cephas Jones

Plot: The series follows siblings Kate, Kevin and Randall as their lives intertwine. Kate and Kevin were originally part of a triplet pregnancy, conceived in the bathroom of Froggy's, a bar, during Super Bowl XIV. However, their biological brother was stillborn. While their due date was October 12, 1980, they were born six weeks early on August 31. Their parents, Jack and Rebecca, intent on bringing home three babies, decide to adopt another newborn (Randall), a black child who was born on the same day and brought to the same hospital after his biological father abandoned him at a fire station.

My Take: A true family show that will have you reaching for the Klenex and looking forward for the next episode. A drama series that has some comedy scenes with a good story line and again pretty much unknown actors except for Mandy Moore. It grew on me but the wife was hooked since episode one. I would not be surprise if this show wins a lot of emmys because of the popularity.

Kimbo
02-28-2017, 06:31 PM
Dark Net

Genre: Documentary

Plot:an American documentary television series created by Mati Kochavi that explores the dark web, and themes such as biohacking, cyber-kidnapping, digital warfare, online cults, pornography addiction, and the webcam sex trade. The series premiered on January 21, 2016, on Showtime, with the first season consisting of eight episodes

My Take: A definitely must see for people that like documentary series and one considers him/herself a techie. Very informative and displays an interesting point of view of the effects and the darkside of the internet.

crazed 9.6
03-02-2017, 01:23 AM
hey guys, will The Young Pope TV Series be coming back for a second season or was the season one the only season that was meant to air ?
AT the end of season one, it seemed like it could have been a wrap or could carry on... but there was a big message that said 'The End' ...shown @ end credits.

It was quite the mini series, if thats what it was.
Watched all episodes recently.
Jude Law, Diane Keaton.. and an oscar winning director, make for some great work.
All shot in Italy.

We never knew what to expect with that Young Pope :eek:
The music was very catching all the way thru too.

So what's the word on a second season ?