PDA

View Full Version : Jailbroken Android boxes

rpm1464
02-08-2016, 03:40 PM
I will like to know about jailbroken boxes. Is any difference between one non jailbroken and one jailbroken? Will it work the addones better on jailbroken box? Should I buy a jailbroken box or not?

dara
02-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Androids aren't 'jailbroken', they are 'rooted', which mean that you can have access to the root directory, and screw things up. It does allow you to write to certain directories which make it easier to install certain apps, like adblockers, or system folder modifiers, that a manufacturer doesn't want you to do.

Get a 'rooted' box, just be careful, and don't blame anyone if you screw things up.

burnz420
04-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Thanks for your reply dara, it is very helpful to me. So for a newbie that is not technical would you still suggest me getting a "rooted box" ?

Can you send me a few examples of a rooted box for sale. Is mygica an example of a rooted box?

thanks

dara
04-07-2016, 07:52 PM
It depends on the box seller if they want to sell a rooted box, or allow rooting. I don't know about the mygica. No one will advertise that their box is rooted, you usually find out when you first try to do it. In general, generic boxes allow root access, but manufacturers that sell customized boxes can lock them down, to protect their customization. Ssearch for some videos on how to root an android device for newbies, but they can be unintentionally scary.

burnz420
04-07-2016, 09:21 PM
It depends on the box seller if they want to sell a rooted box, or allow rooting. I don't know about the mygica. No one will advertise that their box is rooted, you usually find out when you first try to do it. In general, generic boxes allow root access, but manufacturers that sell customized boxes can lock them down, to protect their customization. Ssearch for some videos on how to root an android device for newbies, but they can be unintentionally scary.

Awesome, thanks for your reply!

Off to youtube to search for some of those videos now......:)

owen420
04-12-2016, 07:04 PM
what most of these guys mean by "jailbreaking" is that they have loaded it up with third party addons in kodi (which are free to begin with) and charge a premium

that type of advertising and labeling of a box is something you would want to stay away from... its a suckers box

Deadwood
04-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Interesting how these boxes deliberately refrain from informing buyers as to who really limits the configuration or controls the boxes and what apps they can load and they make sure the buyer doesn't know before they buy them. If one were to buy any box without knowing all relevant information about the box, they could indeed become the owner of a "suckers" box.

Does anyone know or have any thoughts on the Nvidia Shield with respect to limits, configuration, apps ? It appears to have a powerhouse for memory, graphics and options.

Deadwood
04-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Androids aren't 'jailbroken', they are 'rooted', which mean that you can have access to the root directory, and screw things up. It does allow you to write to certain directories which make it easier to install certain apps, like adblockers, or system folder modifiers, that a manufacturer doesn't want you to do.

Get a 'rooted' box, just be careful, and don't blame anyone if you screw things up.

I "think" the confusion with androids begins with how the primary focus begins with cellphones. Seems like anytime I go to do a search for androids, cellphones appear to be the one and only focus. Ironically, they relate to cellphones with references to jailbroken, dual sim and so forth,

tugatvpc
05-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Some applications need root access. On Kodi if you want to update manually the "librtmp" you need root access (this file is usefull to be udated to open some streams in rtmp).

burnz420
07-18-2016, 06:35 PM
so I ended up going with mygica 1900 model but I am so unhappy with it. Basically I need to research each and every add on and its not that easy to get good addons, so many crappy ones from what I can see. So I am not sure I am gonna keep this!!! If I can't get some good content then this box is useless for me...

sheetmetal
07-18-2016, 07:40 PM
so I ended up going with mygica 1900 model but I am so unhappy with it. Basically I need to research each and every add on and its not that easy to get good addons, so many crappy ones from what I can see. So I am not sure I am gonna keep this!!! If I can't get some good content then this box is useless for me...

Just get a M8S loaded with Kodi as long as you do not live in Canada and you will be very happy

stratt197
07-18-2016, 08:27 PM
I have a rooted Amazon 4k Fire Box running a custom Rom.

burnz420
07-19-2016, 05:03 PM
I live in Canada!!! So what do you suggest?

thanks again

floder2
07-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Just go to Craigslist and search for Amazon Firestick.......sellers are sideloading Kodi on them and putting in the addons .......they charge anywhere from 60.00 to 125.00 for the preloaded stick......You can buy a brand new one from Amazon or Bestbuy for 39.00.......and put Kodi on it yourself for free......................

stratt197
07-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Just go to Craigslist and search for Amazon Firestick.......sellers are sideloading Kodi on them and putting in the addons .......they charge anywhere from 60.00 to 125.00 for the preloaded stick......You can buy a brand new one from Amazon or Bestbuy for 39.00.......and put Kodi on it yourself for free......................

Be careful buying them preloaded with addons. That's where things get "grey". Very simple to install Kodi on firesticks and boxes.

floder2
07-19-2016, 07:25 PM
Be careful buying them preloaded with addons. That's where things get "grey". Very simple to install Kodi on firesticks and boxes.

What did I just say............................................... ........

burnz420
07-19-2016, 08:41 PM
thanks floder2, much appreciated!

will check it out

burnz420
07-19-2016, 10:04 PM
been reading a lot of reviews that the firesticks are not that good for full time use, and suck at streaming HD contents or Live content, can anyone comment on this.

thanks again for your help on this!

stratt197
07-19-2016, 10:28 PM
been reading a lot of reviews that the firesticks are not that good for full time use, and suck at streaming HD contents or Live content, can anyone comment on this.

thanks again for your help on this!

my 4k firebox works great

dara
07-19-2016, 11:42 PM
Any android box should work, but some may have issues with loading certain Kodi add-ons, perhaps due to permissions, or available RAM. Most android boxes can run the STBEmu as well. Just my observation, it seems that the Amazon Firestick has had the most requests for help in installing the PVR Stalker NFPS. Also, keep in mind, the next version of Kodi, Kodi 17 "Krypton" requires Android 5.0.1. It isn't yet know if the addons that access Stallker servers will consistently work with Krypton, as Krypton is still in alpha.

floder2
07-20-2016, 12:18 AM
I do believe that the Firestick had problems with Kodi ver 16 and worked much better with Kodi ver 15.2.......Not sure if the Firestick will ever work with Kodi 17 "Krypton"

Marley
07-20-2016, 06:19 PM
Yea I run 15.2 have not tried any others up

burnz420
08-15-2016, 08:18 PM
I am still happy I did not go with a stick............. since I want something durable that will last a few years, I thought a metal cased quad core 4k compatible box would be best............. I am still very happy with my selection!!

Syaoran
08-20-2016, 04:10 PM
I have been using a Zidoo X6 Pro over the past month. It doesn't come pre-installed with any add-ons but it does seem to perform very well. It does 4k, comes with Android 5.1, and can be rooted. For those wanting to install their own add-ons and don't care about pre-loaded stuff outside of a pre-optimized version of Kodi. The Zidoo X6 Pro has not disappointed me at all over the past month. It also comes in a brushed aluminum casing instead of the usual plastic look.

jony604
08-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Rooted part i have telus optic on the go App on my mx the app works but the channels dont play it tells me this device has bin modified or rooted
and does not support the use of optic tv any one know how to fix this? thanks with out sq the box up