PDA

View Full Version : Caution on creating or using some one elses playlist!

Lowteck
03-04-2015, 05:28 PM
I bought and installed the Mag254 last week, found this site and started to read. Wanting to see what was out there I downloaded and tested a couple of playlists. I found that if there is not an end of"meu8" on the Url then these urls will not work. But I also started trying some of the links on my PC. Somewhere along the line, I picked up a real nasty virus. This one, I first noticed on my Mag, then on a local net drive. I first started working on the Mag and got it back up and running without any outside playlists. Later, while using the PC found that the net drive would not load. In trying to restore the drive the computer acted up and started giving the "blue screen of death". I had a back up drive, but it was a year old. I have been working, one night all night, to get the computer restored. I am now close enough to format the raid drives and restore with the back up drive. Believe me, I will not go looking for streaming sites or outside, untested playlists. The one posted here seems to work but has a nagging close captioning in middle of screen. Please use caution on playlists from straingers! ! ! ! . .

Kimbo
03-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Very good advice, has we all download files, programs and even pictures that you might use for avatar it is strongly recommended that you scan with your antivirus program no matter which site you think of is safe.

BIO
03-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your post lowtech. Hate that you had to get a bug before writing it but it may keep someone in the future from ending up with the same.

It is unclear if you got the playlist from here or not though. Please direct me to the thread containing if it did come from here so I can remove it.

Lowteck
03-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Thanks BIO but it did not come from here. The ones from here just made me hungry for more!

BIO
03-04-2015, 11:41 PM
Thanks, I was worried we had a bomb on board :)
Hope you have your pc straightened back out- I hate doing mine with a passion...

date
03-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Thanks, I was worried we had a bomb on board :)
Hope you have your pc straightened back out- I hate doing mine with a passion...

With you on board never been worried.
Thank you for doing great job here and else where as well.

BIO
03-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the kind words date, just helping when and where I can.

K00lKatT
03-04-2015, 11:57 PM
sorry to hear of your prob, Lowteck, sounds like you've got it under control..WTG

Marley
03-05-2015, 12:28 AM
we been saying this for long time now i know i posted about this a few time watch out when you go to other sites 85% have virus

'chasing...
03-05-2015, 12:41 AM
i think ur way safer using list from this sites' members than anywheres else.. peps look out 4 each-other here & a 'dirty list would be exposed & dealt with in real short order.. :)

Lowteck
03-05-2015, 07:39 PM
we been saying this for long time now i know i posted about this a few time watch out when you go to other sites 85% have virus

Yes, I saw this but, well had a case of HUA. I learned the hard way and thought I would just iterate that I did not pay attention and payed the cost.