PDA

View Full Version : Mag 254 from Infomir

Drew60
03-01-2015, 01:06 PM
I am considering ordering this Box from the Infomir website >h$$p://cart.infomirusa.com .My local SAT dealer is selling these Boxes for $199 with channels loaded. Infomir is selling this unit for $73.90 with nothing installed.My question can this unit be set up using the guide written here? And with any software.I am an older fellow and would appreciate any advice in getting this unit on line,thanks in advance.Drew

K00lKatT
03-01-2015, 01:37 PM
In my opinion it would be foolish to spend all that extra money for a loaded unit. You can be up on it for our trial in 10-15 min. channel lists can take a little longer but easy. I would suggest an android box to go along with the mag..JMO

BIO
03-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Besides what kool liosted, I must add that other private servers are not supported here. Save yourself some dough and learn about your receiver by setting it up yourself.

Drew60
03-01-2015, 02:27 PM
In my opinion it would be foolish to spend all that extra money for a loaded unit. You can be up on it for our trial in 10-15 min. channel lists can take a little longer but easy. I would suggest an android box to go along with the mag..JMO

Besides what kool liosted, I must add that other private servers are not supported here. Save yourself some dough and learn about your receiver by setting it up yourself.

Thanks for your advice guys,will look also for an android box.The guide here is pretty straight forward.Retiring my Fta boxes.

BIO
03-01-2015, 02:30 PM
I'm not retiring my fta just yet- but I still have bud dishes up :)

XBMC/KODI will give you access to just about anything that has ever aired on a tv. No commercials for the shows you usually watch too :)

K00lKatT
03-01-2015, 02:32 PM
BTW, I got my mag from infomir with absolutely no probs...just so you know..

Drew60
03-01-2015, 02:37 PM
I'm not retiring my fta just yet- but I still have bud dishes up :)

XBMC/KODI will give you access to just about anything that has ever aired on a tv. No commercials for the shows you usually watch too :) My Sat dish would cost me more to repair than a new Mag254.Been looking at xmb/kodi and will install and test on my PC.Now to look for android boxes,Thanks BIO and KoolKat thats good to know!!

alphablondy
03-01-2015, 03:57 PM
my suggestion is to buy a mag 254 with wifi adapter from infomir and load it yourself. if you want to save money & best way to learn the in and outs of the box.
all the resources are here IPTVTALK to get u up and running, in addition the most knowledgeable user help in the forums to resolve any issues that may arise. that extra money that your local dealer would get could buy you an android box for Kodi.

Drew60
03-01-2015, 04:20 PM
my suggestion is to buy a mag 254 with wifi adapter from infomir and load it yourself. if you want to save money & best way to learn the in and outs of the box.
all the resources are here IPTVTALK to get u up and running, in addition the most knowledgeable user help in the forums to resolve any issues that may arise. that extra money that your local dealer would get could buy you an android box for Kodi.

Thanks Alphablondy,I see an WiFi adapter on on the Infomirsite.Been reading the guide here.I would like some advice on the Android Box I should look at please.

K00lKatT
03-01-2015, 04:26 PM
get android with quad cpu and octo gpu...some very good ones out there, mine is mygica but there are very good other ones also, Dreamlink, Minix, matricom boxes, etc...

BIO
03-01-2015, 04:40 PM
would look at processor and memory first- then buy what you can afford or want to spend. Quad processors and more memory translate to faster menus and more buffering ahead while watching the tv. Dual core and less memory work but buy the best you can afford now instead of replacing it later IMHO

Drew60
03-01-2015, 04:44 PM
get android with quad cpu and octo gpu...some very good ones out there, mine is mygica but there are very good other ones also, Dreamlink, Minix, matricom boxes, etc...
Thanks KoolKatt,and Bio,looking for these Boxes now....for now I am ordering 2 Mag254 boxes with WiFi to test ,my only reservation : I have The evil empire that is Comcast with a 6meg download speed and capped at 250GB a month,is this enough bandwidth for 2 Mags??

BIO
03-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Depends on your usage. We average maybe a few hours a night with xbmc and mag and the internet usage averages about 60 gigs a month. If you use two full time you may come close to that limit with your daily internet needs added.

May look into net monitoring so you know what you use so you can adjust your usage to compensate your limits. I use a dd-wrt router so it shows daily usage automagically. Maybe your isp already has a monitor for you to use?

Drew60
03-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Depends on your usage. We average maybe a few hours a night with xbmc and mag and the internet usage averages about 60 gigs a month. If you use two full time you may come close to that limit with your daily internet needs added.

May look into net monitoring so you know what you use so you can adjust your usage to compensate your limits. I use a dd-wrt router so it shows daily usage automagically. Maybe your isp already has a monitor for you to use?
Thanks Bio,the 2 boxes are for living room and bedroom..I am home bound so one box would be on most of the day..I can get a net meter.

Bkman2020
03-01-2015, 08:01 PM
If you are new to iptv i would start to read the how to threads while the box is in transit helps get ahead start.

Niteman
03-01-2015, 08:17 PM
BTW, I got my mag from infomir with absolutely no probs...just so you know..

I had mine fail on me, contacted them as per suggested on this site and the return email was so quick. Sending it out on Monday. Great box and great service.

Marley
03-01-2015, 08:33 PM
they have bandwidth meters

pabl0
03-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Yeah your sat dealer is trying to make $100. + easy profit, just enter the server name into the portal section on Mag254 and then reboot and portal will load with channel list & VOD list already loaded. As for other IPTV you can find plenty of .m3u lists out there. issue is the IP's or address on most of the channels are changed daily or few times per week. As for Android I'm testing MyGica 1800e and although at first I had a lot of issues, I was able to resolve them and the latest Beta firmware for it proves to have Mag emulator working fairly good, still room for improvement. But it looks promising with if new firmware gets released soon.

Drew60
03-01-2015, 10:05 PM
If you are new to iptv i would start to read the how to threads while the box is in transit helps get ahead start.

I had mine fail on me, contacted them as per suggested on this site and the return email was so quick. Sending it out on Monday. Great box and great service.

they have bandwidth meters

Yeah your sat dealer is trying to make $100. + easy profit, just enter the server name into the portal section on Mag254 and then reboot and portal will load with channel list & VOD list already loaded. As for other IPTV you can find plenty of .m3u lists out there. issue is the IP's or address on most of the channels are changed daily or few times per week. As for Android I'm testing MyGica 1800e and although at first I had a lot of issues, I was able to resolve them and the latest Beta firmware for it proves to have Mag emulator working fairly good, still room for improvement. But it looks promising with if new firmware gets released soon.

Been researching on the forum,and reading the guide here.I have a net meter.Looking at the android boxes.Think i'll get one Mag 254 and test it,and go from there.Been into FTA for years,Yes I knew the SAT dealer was gouging!!>>Thanks for all the help,an old man appreciates

K00lKatT
03-01-2015, 10:09 PM
we geezers have to stick together...lol

Drew60
03-01-2015, 10:36 PM
we geezers have to stick together...lol

That is for sure K00lKatT!!..Thanks for your help!! ;)

Bkman2020
03-02-2015, 01:15 AM
Thats why is worth to ask a simple question saves time and your money.

pabl0
03-21-2015, 06:47 AM
Just a note that Mag250/254 is NOT an Android box. It's a Linux box, so don't expect to be installing Kodi on Mag250/254

Bkman2020
03-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Well I got my Mag254 Box this week,and set up was easy per Guide...Getting a lot of channels,I need to check out the movies more.I find this box and service supirior to my K Band dish and I link,and enfusion box..Are they still adding more channels??..I would like to see a Detroit area station..Still reading on the forum and I would like to know how much they will charge for the service??...All in all having a good experience,for The Old Man!! :D

If you want updated channel list go here :http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?1690-Channel-List-Discussion-Thread/page8

Drew60
03-21-2015, 03:22 PM
If you want updated channel list go here :http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?1690-Channel-List-Discussion-Thread/page8

Ok thank you I will have a look at this!!

18dd2
07-26-2015, 09:45 PM
I am considering ordering this Box from the Infomir website >h$$p://cart.infomirusa.com .My local SAT dealer is selling these Boxes for $199 with channels loaded. Infomir is selling this unit for $73.90 with nothing installed.My question can this unit be set up using the guide written here? And with any software.I am an older fellow and would appreciate any advice in getting this unit on line,thanks in advance.Drew

Same here and things don't come together as fast as they use to like back in the big Bud HU days. :( I try to read as much as I can also.

xbmcbg
07-26-2015, 10:07 PM
would look at processor and memory first- then buy what you can afford or want to spend. Quad processors and more memory translate to faster menus and more buffering ahead while watching the tv. Dual core and less memory work but buy the best you can afford now instead of replacing it later IMHO

Before you buy any Аndroid box to use for KODI it is good to consult with Android hardware page form KODI forum

http://kodi.wiki/view/Android_hardware

18dd2
07-27-2015, 11:07 PM
I just did a speedtest on my service providers website. Is this fast enough I won't have buffering from the service provider?

Download Speed: 4603 kbps (575.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1571 kbps (196.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 132 ms

Thanks

'chasing...
07-28-2015, 03:39 PM
I just did a speedtest on my service providers website. Is this fast enough I won't have buffering from the service provider?

Download Speed: 4603 kbps (575.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1571 kbps (196.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 132 ms

Thanks

i think u would be fine there.. seems like that translates to a 5m connection speed & iptv requires about 1.5m...:)

Marley
07-28-2015, 03:44 PM
do speed test from them and read
https://support.speedtest.net/hc/en-us/articles/203845230-What-do-mbps-and-kbps-mean-

ISLANDBOY
08-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Hi guys sorry , but do these android boxes come pre loaded or do you have to load them ?.

xbmcbg
08-01-2015, 12:40 PM
It seems to me that something is not understood .
Infomir is a world leader and innovator , and its purpose is not Android boxes, because they can not ensure the necessary quality of HD TV, they mainly produce Linux boxes that are specialized for IPTV and can meet the highest quality requirements.
The only Infomir's pattern that was Android box on the market is MAG 260 , but it is no longer produced . Soon will come a new Android box MAG 350 which has much better parameters

dale-63
08-01-2015, 02:13 PM
Over the last 7 mon I have ordered 5 mages and two WiFi adap from informer very good company to buy from and the mages are supper easy to set up I am sure u will be fine

carib909
12-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Just a note that Mag250/254 is NOT an Android box. It's a Linux box, so don't expect to be installing Kodi on Mag250/254

How do the Linux based boxes without Kodi compare to android boxes with Kodi?

Bkman2020
12-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Its all the same thing just how the layouts are.

Dmaster_PR
12-28-2015, 02:14 AM
Well, your local dealer still have to pay for the service in order to activate the box.

If we asd the price of $105 + $73.90 + 12.00 shipping you will be paying pretty much the same your local guy charge.

Bkman2020
12-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Never buy from resellers just buy the box and buy donation straight from source once your box arrives.